Who Believes Groceries Are getting Expensive??

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by hiho, Jun 14, 2011.

1. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Soon you will pay for an empty box, and its not only cereals,biscuits ,lollies,chips,oh an i love how laundry detergent suddenly gets 3X more powerful , they're all going the same way.

2. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The more reason to invest in tangible assets.

If it costs more for every day items and energy resources, it will sure cost more to mine PMs.

I believe Gillard is doing all this on purpose to be voted out next election. She will go her own way and still get the government pension and benefits. I really hate this prime minister, she has done nothing worthwhile in parliament except bring on more taxes (flood levy, carbon tax).

Slam

Yep, lets just keep raising everything. I will sure be asking for a pay rise too. Lets just keep inflating the economy and let it crash to pieces this coming year. Whatever she is doing is accelerating the crash of the fiat experiment. The quicker we return to sound money the better.

3. Prior

Prior Member Silver Stacker

A person I know just got a letter from a company (won't name) wanting to reduce the tradesmen's hourly rate buy $3 accross the board.

Going to be an interesting year!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I would estimate that average consumer private debt levels would also have a very strong impact on consumer habits as well in recent times.

[​IMG]

Whilst there's always the question of inflation out there, the bottom line is people are forced to devote more and more of their income to the service of debt which calls for compromise in other areas.

For the record, I rent and my family eats exactly the same as they have for the last decade.

We know what's more important and a balanced, healthy diet is essential, especially for a young family.

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am surprised that companies are warning of increased prices due to the carbon tax. Gillard has spent a lot of taxpayer money to set up a large bureaucracy of Carbon Police, and it has been announced that any mention to the public by a business that they are increasing prices as a result of the carbon tax will result in a fine or imprisonment for the business owner. Even putting up a sign in your shop announcing a "pre-carbon tax sale" will result in the shop owner being fined or jailed.

She has branded anyone who has to increase prices due to increasing power and other costs due to the carbon tax as a "dishonest price gouger" who will be punished.

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

She will receive her payoff from the merchant banks, Rothschild, Goldman, JPM and General Electric. They are the ones who are paying the "faceless men" at the top of the Labor/union party who pull Gillard's strings to achieve this tax in Australia, they needed this as an advertising coup for their agenda to show the rest of the world that Australia has fallen into line with them. Just like the USA needed the "moral credibility" that Howard gave them by supporting them in the Iraq invasion.

7. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Standard Operating Procedure = Shift the blame elsewhere

8. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

I just googled up Co2 volcanoes and it just doesn't seem to give any evidence to support volcanoes release more Co2 than human activity..Ian Pilmer has been challenged by other scientists as to what the figures are..His standard answer is that they do not include underwater volcanoes. However the scientists claim that the underwater volcanoes are included with above water volcanoes. Can you please give some figures to justify your view.

Regards Errol 43

9. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And just how Kevin Rudd got the backstab, because he was too close to the Chinese. All ducks seem to line up, should you choose to believe it.

Slam

10. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

thought this was the hijack thread :lol:

11. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Yeah whats volcanoes got to do with groceries? Get back on track

12. errol43

Exactly. Refer to post 24

Inflation always takes groceries ever upward.
    Oil supplies determine petrol prices
    Pieces of paper determine silver price

Regards Errol 43

New Handouts continue..More $$$$$ for parents with teenagers. That will help pay for the groceries!

13. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

14. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

but but but deflation will make groceries cheaper and packets fullerer

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Except those who run the market know you have to eat.

Just like housing, they'll charge what the market will bear and you'll pay it, regardless.

Profiteering on essential commodities is considered ethical business practise.

You will see it defended endlessly in the media and in society.

So why complain about it?

We reap what we sow.

16. Byron

Byron Guest

I was reading that if the Libs get an overwhelming majority and the Greens block the Carbon Tax repeal in the Senate, a double dissolution can be triggered leading to a joint sitting of Parliament were the Libs can repeal this tax and pass other legislation.

Any constitutional scholars, please comment if this is possible.

17. errol43

Where is the Old Codger? I havn't seen him post for a while.

Maybe he can't afford groceries . :)

Regards Errol 43

18. Atomic79

Atomic79 New Member

This is a really interesting discussion. Yes, I've noticed groceries are getting v expensive and large corporations are using all the tricks so that consumers pay more for less... Or fancy packaging etc etc. Take western star butter for example. It is now about five bucks for 500g. At aldi, the exact same product, made on the same machine in the same factory, using milk from the same local cows under the lable beautifully butterfly is about half the price.

I've posted somewhere before that I'm in process of setting up an Australian bulk food business with help from my Victorian farm contacts. Next week I will have confirmation re suppliers of red lentils, flour, rolled oats, cereal mixes, and some other things in 10 and 25kilo bags. I will deliver to Melbourne once a month, maybe to monthly meeting if possible. It is works, I will supply fresh produce too such as fruit, veg, nuts, butter, milk etc etc.

For those who are interested, pm me with products you are interested in and quantities. Some will be organic, some won't but all will be from Victorian producers at this stage and supporting Aussie farmers.

Today was another sad day for farmers etc when Heinz was closed and moved off shore so that it can now use cheaper, o/s grown tomatoes.

19. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes - Basic foodstuffs in AUS are HORRENDOUSLY expensive vs UK, EU & US. When I was living in NZ in the last 2 yrs the wholesalers always quoted 'smaller market therefore higher unit cost' bullshit argument... and on visiting UK a month or so ago I couldn't believe how cheap food - and especially eating out is there... but peeps in UK still complain at prices. Its only having relocated after our NZ seismic adventure and arriving in Oz ( yes Vektor, I canmake decisions like that - 'YOUR country' Prick comments just reinforced to me how my Aussie mates & Kiwis who have experienced life-threatening adversity so value this beautiful Land & pay for the privilege happily... unlike tossers who give the national identity a bad name thru idiotic nationalism... I'm grateful indeed - and you should be too - or I'll send you a trunkful of my Wahabi mates over... D&ckhead) - So, yes... swiftly moving on.,, BUT there are great wys to cut those food bills - support your local farmers markets - that's a MUST if you want to stop the total domination of retail by major chains... I reckon AUS has about 5-7 years before that happens - just look at Tesco in UK... Whatever, eat well, love eachother - always keep a smile on yr face... and half a mill of instant liquidity yr back pocket (for rainy days/weeks/months/years/decades ahead). NOSH! x