Which should I buy to kick off my stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MusicalStacker, Jun 4, 2016.

1. MusicalStacker

MusicalStacker New Member

2. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

carded geiger, there are demand for such product

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Given you're new I'd go to the nearest bullion dealer and ask what sells best. And no matter what they try to sell you, only buy a current year American Silver Eagle! Should be around $20. It's the most common bullion coin in the US.l and the best way to start off your stack.

Haven't tracked the First Strike premiums but it's nothing more than marketing bunkum to charge the extra few dollars- http://www.cmi-gold-silver.com/article/first-strike-coins-buffalos-eagles/

4. Balance8

Balance8 Member

Have you considered junk silver?

5. MusicalStacker

Sort of... From what I hear, it's pre 1965 US quarters, dimes, and half dollars. (90%)
    I just didn't think it was worth it. Is it? How expensive? Can I make good profit?

6. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buy whatever takes your fancy, buy a variety.
    Don't buy too many of any single item and minimise postage.

You will end up liking something more than others, ie you could be hooked on design, high relief, hand cast or low premium cast so until you decide just enjoy everything.

I only got into PM a year go to diversify my investments and joined this forum 6months ago, during that time my thoughts on my first purchase of kilo bars has changed numerous times.

Now I settled into low premium bars for the investments but have not abandoned coins and collectables. if I see something I like I buy it as a hobby.

The hobby / collectables I'm looking at premium gain too but im likely NOT to be a seller. Unless you are actively going to become a "amateur dealer" selling in the forums or eBay your not really going to realise premiums.

Biggest trap I think in PM is getting hooked on a series and trying to complete a collection that has been declared years ago. But if a new series start from a reputable mint buy a few or if the series only started few years back.

Ie Royal Mint Queens Beasts this year start for ten years and for me anyway Perth Mint Wedge Tail Eagles started just two years ago. You are in the USA so you are likely to have many more new series starting.

Have fun and enjoy

7. MusicalStacker

Thanks... I think that's what I'll do...

8. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

If you believe that silver is going to the moon, any premiums are going to be hard to be returned when you want to dump it. I'd suggest looking into First Majestic rounds and bars. Some of them are not pretty but they have some of the cheapest manufacturing in the business and that tends to make them low premium. If you manage to sell at the right time then the morons who buy in late will be buying anything they can get their hands on, so it shouldn't be hard to flip.

9. KeepStackin'

KeepStackin' New Member

I too am a new stacker. I just wish I had started stacking gold and silver about 10 years ago. I feel great about finally investing some of my money and being "smarter", preserving my wealth. My recommendation because I find it to be common sense is try to buy the best quality silver and gold you can at the LOWEST price. From what I can see APMEX is definitely not the cheapest route. I think your local gold/silver or coin shop is going to be your best bet. I try to pay as low a price per ounce I can but I try NOT to get the absolute cheapest quality silver out there, sometimes it's worth paying a little extra for quality. I prefer Sunshine Mint! Plus I live in Idaho so its common here.

10. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

With that budget I would probably buy lollies.

11. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With that budget, perhaps try to focus on earning more before worring about what to do with your money

12. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Which should I buy to kick off my stack?

A pair of sliver Boots

13. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

With your budget I would stay from APMEX and the items you linked to on their site. Seasoned stackers typically don't buy those items and shipping costs will eat into any future profit.
    Since your just beginning your education on precious metals you have the "fever to buy" chances are what catches your eye will be "regrettable buys" as you learn more and discover what else is out there.
    You really can't go wrong with buying second hand LOW premium bullion rounds, or silver eagles from a local buyer of silver and gold. Ask around in your area and try to find someone with low overhead and not some fancy coin shop that overcharges.

Oh! And definitely don't but any "sliver boots" ^

14. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how to kick off a ball without a pair of boots, hire them :lol:

we would never know that once bought the carded, he would not have the temptation to hold the bar, like cutting it open

the mantra being applied literally, you don't hold it you don't own it.

but to have a stack, at least two items must be place on top of one another, please wait for your budget to increase before kicking it off, its an additive hobby just to remind you.

15. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1oz is better than none at all.

Buy what you can afford. We all had to start somewhere as some obviously forget.

Start with eagles or a bit of junk silver and expand from there.

16. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Go for the snake bar if you really feel like you want to buy one of those 3 products.

There's no inherently right or wrong answer because everyone has slightly or greatly different tastes, goals, age, location where they live, etc, etc,etc, etc. And all of these differences, whether slight or great can make a difference in what might be ideal for that person.

The reason I say go for the snake bar is because all those products are, in my view, common bullion with virtually no potential for numismatic premium.

If the ASE was an early ASE in that grade, then I'd definitely go with the ASE because that would be a very good price for a collector item which is what the early ASE's are in a high grade like that. Or if the ASE was a 70 grade then I'd say perhaps go for the slabbed ASE. But there's nothing very much numismatic about a 2016 ASE in 69 condition (because most of the 50,000,000 or so 2016 ASE's would probably grade a 69 if graded) and so the premium charged for such a common item it seems not to be so worth it in my view.

All that said, there may be better ways to spend your money on silver. First of all, keep in mind shipping charges can eat into the value of what you are spending money on. Also, be careful about state sales tax....another way to eat your money. Shop where you pay neither. If that means that you need to make a larger purchase, then save your money until you've accumulated enough to make a bigger purchase to get the free shipping.

The products you are seeking to buy are not rare and will always be available. Since they are tied to the spot price and the spot price may hang around the current level for quite some time (with the usual volatility of course), it's not likely that you will miss that grand opportunity to buy silver at a low price.

Now of course, there is a whole range of silver products that one could buy, from blobs (generic, common bullion bars and rounds) to rare numismatic coins and medals....and everything in between. But for now, probably you should go for the lowest premium blobs and perhaps try to increase the value of your silver in terms of ounces rather than in terms of premium.....until you become more familiar with numismatic premiums and the intricacies of the collector hobby.

As they did for most of us stackers and coin/medal collectors, the years pass by very quickly and so in no time and if you spend time in forums like his, you will get to understand numismatics much better. Unlike blobs and junk silver, the value of numismatics (including semi-numismatic products) is not tied directly to the London fix but instead can be a much more rewarding area (financially and otherwise) but it is a much more difficult area to navigate successfully.

Personally, here are a couple of my favorite USA made bullion products:

https://www.providentmetals.com/2-oz-silver-liberty-island-ultra-high-relief-round.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlURczz-We0[/youtube]

and

http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-american-flag-silver-bar/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyC1lBu_cE[/youtube]

17. Steel_Eyes

Steel_Eyes New Member

Unless you're buying at a local shop, then you'll want to wait till you have around $110-120 to make a purchase so that you can take advantage of the free shipping for sales over $99. It's hard to spend exactly $100 at places like Apmex, Provident, and JM Bullion unless you get your order made just right. Also, look at the other two stores that I just mentioned since they're cheaper than Apmex for the majority of their products (though not all).

I'd go with the Geiger bar from the list in the first post. The snake bar from 2013 costs about 40 cents more than their 2016 monkey bar, so the series isn't appreciating in value like other zodiac bullion out there. That said, you can still buy stuff that you think looks cool. I would just stack decent bullion with an even cheaper price (like Sunshine bars as someone mentioned earlier) or coins at roughly the same price but with better chances to appreciate (like Somalian Elephant Coins). Silver Eagles...just wait till they're on sale, even if its a long wait till Christmas sales.

18. MusicalStacker

Hello, all... Thanks for your swift and helpful replies... I will buy http://www.jmbullion.com/2016-1-oz-somalian-silver-elephant/ first. It has free shipping, and no tax as far as I know. It is an awesome coin, and only has $2.40 premium(not that bad). Then I'll buy something from a local coin shop. Then I plan on getting a few of these: http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-silver-bar/ (or a few more elephants). Let me know what you think of my "strategy".

Thanks.

P.S. Should I "invest" in coin sleeves?

19. MusicalStacker

What I would, most likely, buy from coin shop is a 2016 ASD.

20. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice coin indeed but be wary that you'll also be enjoying the milk spots that will inevitable find their way onto your mint elephant ;)

Coin sleeves for a bullion coin? Not really but if it's just one or two no harm. Just make sure they're not made of PVC as that will speed up tarnishing.