Which part of your stack will only be sold in the event of SHTF

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by hem9, Aug 16, 2011.

1. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Which part of your stack will only be sold in the event of SHTF. In other words the coin, coins, set or etc which is the most important part of your stack (does not have to be the most expensive) and if possible "why". I think it would give newbies ideas on which is most valuable to fellow stackers and what to start their stack with which would get the most love from other members.

For me I dont really do numismatics but I had to have this as there are only 300 minted - 4oz gold and I am a big fan of the 1966 50c coins (thanks to projack for finally selling). Incidentally the only set to feature the 1966 50c, the 1c and 2c. Probably will never be sold and given to my kids

[​IMG]

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I've got a guilded britannia that i love - the design with helmet. That looks great. Would also be keeping some pre decimal for the daughter for interest, and her 1/10 gold coins that she chose herself.
    Otherwise it is all for sale for the right price (which is way above the current spot prices mind you).

3. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

i am saving the worst / ugliest silver until the very last because in the serious situation that i imagine
    i dont want presumptions coming my way

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Generic coins (Phils, ASE's, Maples, Takus) then PM stuff (kooks, lunars) and if still SHTF (Hummers, mini hummers) and if still SHTF (10oz bars, kg bars). Idea is to have something left over to restart with once dust settles

5. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

You really think there is going to be an 'event' in this whole PM bull market? There's not going to be a nuclear winter, its simply a devaluation of currency, it is already happening and has happened for decades.

I cant understand why you think we are going to wake up one day in a 3rd world country...

'shtf' is my most hated saying, along with 'fiat'. They are both so very cringeworthy.

gggrrrr....

ok, ill be quiet now.

To answer your question, when I decide to start selling, it will be the generic bars first and ill hold onto the unique/rare items for quite some time.

6. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Disengage normalcy bias, "I think the future will be just like what I have experienced in the past", history is stacked with the dead bodies of people who thought this way. You need to look at history outside of your experience to formulate a idea of the future, history always repeats because people do not do this.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Re: original question.

Carded Koalas.

Why? Because they won't sell under any other situation :D :D :D

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

@hem9

Lovely set. Can understand your attachment. MY jealousy meter is reading high. So tell me, how are you going without your right arm and left leg? For surely that's what the set must have cost!

9. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Gold 1/4oz Krugerrand and Silver 1/2oz Lunar Tiger.

The Krugerrand was bought for me when I was born - I doubt I'd ever sell it, I probably shouldn't even keep it near my other PMs :lol:
    And the Tiger my mum has already placed her claim on, so I'd have to do some explaining if I ended up selling it.

Everything else I have no attachment to and will be sold the instant I needed to live.

10. Dan Unda

Dan Unda Member Silver Stacker

"cringeworthy" is an understatement IMO, especially the 'fiat' thing....

YMMV

To answer the question, If I were to keep just one item, it would have to be the (5 pc) Kilo dragon proof set..

:)

11. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

For the right price, I'd sell anything ;)

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Saint-Gaudens $20 gold piece. Absolute last piece of gold to sell.

Otherwise - I'd be flipping numismatics FIRST to cash in on the premium value while there's still a use for the fiat cash you sold it for. Idea is to make it through any economic crisis with the MAXIMUM ounces, not the prettiest.

Re "fiat" - learn to love the word, every time you read/use/hear it, it reinforces the backed-by-promise nature of cash today as a pure currency, not hard money. No better than World of Warcraft gold or bit coins, except that it's accepted more widely.

13. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I would have laid money on this being your pick :lol:

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Kind of at odds with the rest of my post, but it was bought on a bullion basis, so I don't really consider it numismatic.

15. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I have quite a bit of that.

I'll trade it all for 5oz of silver!

16. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

my stash of 2012 dragons ;-)

17. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

As slowly as possible, the ASEs and CMLs. One by one, and only when desperate. The 600 should last about 3 years I hope.

Hopefully, the 10 oz PM bars and 1Kg PAMPS will be saved until we reach 'the other side'.

"Viva la black market"

OC

OC

18. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I have a really cool old 20 oz. JM bar that I would only sell if I had too. I really like my french rooster, but most of it I'll sell when need be. The last things I'll probably sell are my old gold coins just because they're cool to look at. Oh yeah my 5 oz. 25 dollar silver Somoa coin is pretty awesome too.

19. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

+1
    Though I would hold on to my RAM Roos and a few Pandas, just in case the S came of the Fan cleanly ;)

20. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Because it's happening slowly >_>

The standards of living are shifting from the western world to the rest of the world, as westerners can no longer compete with the low prices offered offshore.
    Our manufacturing industry is dying, our services industry is rapidly being transferred and even our agricultural industry is being bought up by asia.
    We are going through a huge yet needless change right now, which unfortunately will lead to a very dark era in our history until parity can be achieved.

So yes, one day we will wake up and realise how this country resembles 3rd world conditions due to greed and our stubborness to play a game we could not win.

Oh yea, and like MatrixOpals, I'm prepared to sell it all if there is no other option. :|