Which Gold coins to buy in Australia?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by karcer, Jan 8, 2022.

1. karcer

karcer New Member

Hi guys
    I'm new here ;D
    I would like to ask you which 1oz gold coins should I buy in Australia? I don't have a plan to sell these soon but maybe one day... Is better to buy coins made here or it doesn't matter? Any chance to pick up these personally in Sydney? Prefer to pay by cash if possible.

Thanks a lot!

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Perth Mint lunars would be my choice in 1oz coins. Though others may have a preference for alternatives such as Roos. The other option is to go fractional or alternatively Australian Sovereigns which are always in demand and which would be my preferred option if I was buying.

Go to this sub-forum https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?forums/australia-new-zealand-public.30/, do some research on prices and sold items then start a new thread with an expression of interest. State how much +% over spot you're willing to pay, whether you want F2F or postage and the years you're after. As you're new you'll likely be asked to pay before postage.

Good luck and welcome.

lucky luke, Real $ and GOLD1 like this.
  3. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most government issued coins are the go.

I think the only real thing to consider is liquidity and how close to spot you can buy them for. If you're selling back to a dealer, you don't really have to worry too much about what coins or bars you buy - they'll usually pay you a % below spot regardless of what coin or bar it is...

There's more to consider when selling to the private Market. Choosing a recognisable coin with high demand is preferable. Things like:

Canadian maples
    Krugerrands
    Britannias
    Eagles (silly premiums at the moment)

Are all very liquid....

With Australian coins, almost all Perth Mint products are highly liquid when sold as a bullion coin, rather than a collector series coin.

Roos
    Nuggets
    Lunars
    Etc

There seems to be a cult following with lunars and maples. These would be my pick.
    Just don't get caught up paying high premiums and expecting to get it back when you sell. keep a sharp eye on current spot price and premiums. Right now, 1oz coins have roughly a $100 premium. E.g spot price $2500 - 1oz coin price $2600. Any coins listed about at, or below that $100 premium is worth your consideration.

Smaller denominations command higher premiums:

The 1/2 Oz coins are going for $1350.
    Or $2700 per Oz.

The 1/4 Oz's are going for $700
    Or $2800 per Oz

1/10 ozs are going for $300
    Or $3000 per Oz.

If you can get any smaller sizes at the same equivalent premium as 1oz coins, I'd jump on that, too. But otherwise I typically stay away from them...

The one thing I don't like about sovereigns, is they require further explanation to new stackers. At the right price, they're very liquid amongst longstanding, familiar stackers and collectors, but won't be as liquid for the Newbies entering the space. If you're selling into a market saturated with New Members, sovereigns are not going to be as liquid as government issued coins.

4. karcer

karcer New Member

Thank you so much, guys! You gave me a ton of useful information.

5. karcer

karcer New Member

Hi guys. Where could I buy gold and silver coins in Sydney with cash? ABCbullion or? Low premium... Thanks

6. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

here of courseā€¦.

Real $ likes this.
  7. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

G'Day and welcome to rabbit hole that is stacking.

Bullion Now, a respected bullion dealer out of Melbourne (and site sponsor / commercial member from memory) have done some good nonsense vids for the new entrant into gold and silver. Yes, he's a dealer and he wants to sell you his bullion but he does cover the bases re the pro's and con's of bars, coins, sizes, re-sell strategy etc pretty even handedly.

Here's a couple of links form their YT channel. If you have the time, have a dig through their vid library for similar type vids. From their series "How to invest in gold"

Good luck and happy stacking.

Real $ likes this.
  8. karcer

karcer New Member

Thank you, guys! I'm happy to watch more stuff about My (not yet) precious :D
    I just read a few books about gold: Guide to investing in gold by Michael Maloney, The New Case for Gold by James Rickards and I'm reading Why Gold why now by E.B Tucker and next would be Junior Mining investor (I'm not sure if I want to invest to mining stocks yet). If you can recommend some other books I'll be super happy..

9. Argentumiser

Argentumiser Active Member Silver Stacker

If you want to make some increased premiums from buying BU coins keep your eye on the 1oz Perth mint swans as well as the 1/10 oz Kooks. Smaller mintage numbers show increased resale premiums over time without a large outlay when purchased. Buy them when they first become available directly from the mint.

10. vos

vos Member

Widely recognized government issued gold coins. There's really no longterm tried and true Australian gold (only 100 yo sovereigns) so modern coins may or may not hold their premium. My 2c is buy lunars, swans etc at bullion prices. If they hold their premium longterm then it's an added bonus. History shows most proofs and circulating coins lose their premium and head back to bullion prices.

11. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

STKR hit the nail on the head.

It doesn't matter what coin, it's percentage of gold or where its from. It is all about getting it as cost effectively as possible.