Where to buy tungsten?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Marsi, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Emanance

Emanance Guest

Marsi could be onto something. Look at the effect the 'war on terror' has had on copper prices over the last decade. Tungsten is used in huge quantities as tank armor and also in kinetic energy penetrators. Heaps of other military applications as well. All this saber rattling going on about Iran's nuclear program. Who knows demand and prices could be about to go to the moon.

2. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

So you want to buy tungsten as a speculative investment. Well considering everyone here is tuned in to metals and barely interested in tungsten, Who are you going to sell it to? Seems as if it may be quite a mission

3. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So Tungsten is slightly radioactive, so all you have to do is Geiger Counter your Gold bars to test for Tungsten

4. Marsi

Marsi Member Silver Stacker

Perfect time to buy, when nobody is interested except for Buffet who recently bought 80 percent of a Tungsten mine. I know it may sound silly but I'm not about to pour my life savings into it, maybe 20 kilios or so, just trying to find a place that has it for sale. Aircraft bucking bars look great but carry a premium over spot higher than some of the rarer kooks out there! Demand from industry is increasing at about 5 percent per year whilst supply is decreasing. China is the largest supplyer and its treated as strategic metal hence exports are controled - need to do some more research into it. Buying now could mean having a ticket on the train before it even announced its leaving. Proving quite difficult to find at the moment, having a scrap metal dealer looking into it at the moment, cant find a supplier but says he will do a ring around the other dealers as they may have some scrap lying around. Maybe i could become a tungsten dealer!

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

i think tungsten has been listed as one of the world's strategic metals. Will need to find the source to confirm this though.

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When this thread first started " I thought you were mad " for wanting tungsten .
    But now it actually makes sense :D

7. Marsi

Could come a time when finding tungsten in a gold bar will be like hitting the jackpot- like finding a Picasso or Warhole under the veneer of an old worthless piece of art! I'll stop now but stranger things have happened.

8. Marsi

Appologies for wrong info earlier regarding Buffet- he purchased 25 percent of the tungsten mine for 80 million not 80 percent.

9. R1dh0

R1dh0 New Member

:lol:

10. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

So it could have a rhodium moment but still it is not desirable to the general public

11. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

you might want to get some Pyrite to coat your bar for the complete fools effect

12. Marsi

Understood wormhole but i wonder why its not desirable? Check out the pic of the hand holding the buckling bar- http://www.aircraftonline.com.au/product.php?id=291
    Look at how the bar deforms the skin on the palm of the hand- looks really heavy, bet it would feel nice to hold. The finish on the bars looks great too. Like an extruded or machined silver bar. I really like the look of them.

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, obviously i was being far to subtle.

My point of contention was the fact you are calling it a precious metal where it is NOT (currently).

It is measured in ADV ounces like all other base metals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_metal

I dont have much to say about it being a good invesment or not.. id much rather hoard nickel.. key problem being supply for tungstien..

Yep ill just stick with Nickel.. the next BASE that will go precious.

Good luck with it though..

14. Marsi

Fair enough 1 for 1- some site call it a precious metal other site call it a rare earth. To me it doesnt really matter - i just llike it because it is really heavy, shiny and virtually indestructable and very hard to scratch. Just got a quote at between 800 to 900 per kg- radical premium, the dealer couldnt fathom why i wanted it for investment purposes and even said that im barking up the wrong tree and that i coyldnt do anything with it once it was in bar form and wouldnt be interested in selling to me . Ended up saying forget why i want it, can u het it and at what price, answer was 800 to 900 per kg. cheaper to buy bucking bars.

15. Marsi

16. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

17. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Tungsten is a "precious metal" when being wheeled into surgery for a hip replacement ....

18. Barrye

Barrye Member

Tungsten welding rods are fairly cheap on ebay. Just wrap a few together with gold/silver foil and you have your door stop.

19. Marsi

Apologise about the precious metal call- I was confused- still am but that's another story.

20. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member