When Money Dies: The Nightmare of Weimar Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by chimpanchu, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

You're not the only one. I'm on Book 10 atm and it's a grind... he really had lost his way after Book 5 I think. Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart were awful for my mind and 10 isn't shaping up to be much either. Although I hear with the new writer on 12 onwards, the progression is much better.

To be brutally honest, the whole series could have been completed in no more than half a dozen books. There were at least 5 or 6 books here that could have been left on the cutting room floor they were so devoid of development.

2. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

No kidding! I own the first 10 books but haven't even bothered to read books 9 and 10 even though I loved the first 5.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm about halfway through 10 atm and haven't touched it in a few weeks now. It was just so bland and dull, I just can't bring myself to pick it up again. The whole series has so many characters sitting around undeveloped or plotlines left hanging, it's been shitting me to tears in all honesty. I think Robert's brain crapped itself during this period of decline. He'd spend 50 pages introducing a new character or plotline to the story and then just leave it hanging and you'd think, well what was the friggen point of THAT then? :|

In the end, it was just about stretching out the payday as long as possible I think, which honestly never needed to be the case. There were so many opportunities for a different series in that world it wasn't funny. Whilst the lore of his world was definitely a king in fantasy realms, his implementation of it through plot was so clumsy it was staggeringly frustrating at times.

I understand the last book isn't due for release for another year or two yet. I might wait until that's out before I finish the series.

4. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

More recently I've really enjoyed George R Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, but he's going a little bit in the same direction as Jordan did - starting to get way too many characters and hanging plotlines... And the next book on the series is a couple of years late now. Still, they've been a great read for the most part.

Hmm. That's a long way from the Weimar republic :)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I bet reading was a very popular past time then though. :)

6. dickmojo

dickmojo Member

Do the Editors from The Daily Reckoning read this forum I wonder? Today's dealt with this book: