When China divorces U.S....

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Cinvalo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think he meant "unchecked opening of markets" has raped and pillaged. A point of view that ignores the pervasive role of a corrupt state in the presence of such "opening". I have yet to see a case where the left-wing demonising of bad outcomes associated with past foreign investments weren't actually associated with a corrupt state forcibly overriding pre-existing property rights and/or giving special privileges at the expense of local citizens to get deals done (typically that benefited the decision makers or their cronies).

It's the classic bait-and-switch routine of showing free market in the presence of mis-use of power as a problem of the free market (and hence justifying odious interventions on the free market) rather than focussing on the mis-use of power and questioning why those powers even exist.

2. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not that the subsidised tenured academics who can't work effectively in the private market have any vested interest or anything :p

3. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebXA1lRqDfM[/youtube]

I wasnt going to post again, but I have found this video and it really does showcase my POV much clearer than I could ever hope to.

If you're interested in China, its worth a quick watch - it may also debunk some of the unfounded fears that abound about Chinas unique brand of communism.

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst trade wars are nothing unusual, I have noticed that they appear to be gaining momentum with the USA and other countries, notably Asian countries.

Trade wars are generally, if history is any indicator, a result of economic desperation.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/business/