Whats the difference between 'unavailable' and 'sold out'?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by AndyRoo68, Oct 6, 2011.

1. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Have been checking out PM website, and just wondering why some coins listed as 'unavailable' and others 'sold out'. What's the difference?

I'm assuming that unavailble means that they haven't actually sold out, maybe able to mint more in the future?

2. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sold out means, all quota have been sold, they may not have complete minted out yet.

unavailable means, they are making the coins, packing them, more on the way, or the remainder are in the other location, in transit etc.

not available for online purchase, but may be able to get in their stores. :)

3. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Ok, that makes sense.
    I see that 2012 Proof Lunar Dragons are unavailable, rather than sold out. So that must mean that there are still some of these around either in transit or they are in the process of making more. Interesting...
    Will just have to keep checking their website in case any of them turn up :)

4. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

My guess on this one is that they are probably sitting in a little post office somewhere waiting for some lucky person to stumble across one day

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I think it means they still have them an the retail store but not for online ordering??

6. pushingtin

pushingtin Member Silver Stacker

I asked the Perth Mint this same question a while back and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email. 'Unavailable online' is applied to items that are no longer available to sell.
    Until the item is announced 'sold out' the item will show this

However there is also an occasional 'unavailable online' where the available stock has depleted but this would be only for no more than a couple of hours until the stock is replenished so the status is then changed back to available"