whats the best advice for a figerprint

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by NightOwl, Aug 12, 2014.

1. NightOwl

NightOwl New Member

Hello everyone,touched

So the first silver coin I ever got was in 1997 from my uncle, "25th Anniversary of Canada/Russia Summit Series" Canadian dollar. Being young I didn't know anything about it and I guess I must have opened it and touched it because there is a nasty finger print on it. I did some reading and it seems that finger prints, if left for a while, are etched permanently into the coin. So now I have a beautiful coin with a mirror finish, with a nasty white fingerprint. To top, the box it came in has gotten a tiny bit roughed up. I'm just curious as to how someone would figure out its value. What would you think to recently do with it?

2. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

3. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

Nothing short of a silver dip will remove it, and there's no guarantees even with that.

4. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if the fingerprint was oily it may be removed with acetone dip. leave in acetone for a few days (no rubbing) it will not damage coin surface. No guarantees it will work.

5. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From one of my earlier posts ....

I have found the perfect way to clean milk spots off coins. It came by accident as in order to clean particularly dirty coins, I got into the habit of swallowing a coin with each meal, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Being pretty regular, 18 hours after each meal I retrieved the coin and voil, the coin was immaculate. I tried the same with toned and milk spotted coins, perfect result. I strongly recommend this process, however, avoid the 5 ouncers and above!

I have been told from some other members it cleans fingerprints. I guess it's the stomach acid that does the trick.