What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by Scope, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Scope

Scope New Member

Hey guys, I just got my hands on an 1882 Melbourne 1/2 sovereign. What is its fair value?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mattlyndy

Mattlyndy Member Silver Stacker

At a guess I would say around the $1000 dollar mark maybe a bit more

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

What do you mean 'fair' value ?

As in the maximum price that could be obtained on SS or eBay within 1 week ?
    Or one month, or more?

Also when you say at a guess around the $1000 mark?

Would this mean that there would be more than 2 buyers at $850 either on SS or eBay
    within 1 week or 1 month or more?

-------

Right now, the population of 1882 Half Sovereigns Melbourne mint on eBay is 4

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk..._nkw=melb*+sovereign+1882+(1/2,half)&_sacat=0

used search term

melb* sovereign 1882 (1/2,half)

The listings are in order of increasing price (all auctions of imo
    optimal selling strategy for such coin - Buy it Now with Best Offer )

1. Fine $661
    2. gVF/aEF $1322
    3. gEF/aU $2591
    4. EF/gEF $3146

- - Another thing to notice is that they are all offered by one and the same seller on eBay.

Completed listings only one

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=melb*+sovereign+1882+(1/2,half)&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Coin # 1. Fine - did not sell at $660

and all the current auctions do not show any Offers in bid histories - and looks like they have been selling for about 10 days ( assuming its a 30 day auction with 19 days left ).

With above in view your coin ( VF20) should in eBay listing prices be priced at around
    $660-$1322 ( Fine - gVF/aEF ) - since your coin is VF20 the eBay listing value ( following example of the only current market player on eBay with 4 listings above ) would be around $900-$1100 - ( as what Mattlyndy suggested ) -
    but since there are no offers on them coins for last 10 days, and since 1.Fine did not sell at $660 - i think you would struggle to find a buyer on SS or eBay within 1 week at a price higher than $700.

But would expect at least 2 interested buyers at $450 within 1 week.

Above was one of the ways that i use when assessing such questions regards value of Numismatic Coins.

and lastly, in my opinion there is a 20% chance that you and the eBay seller are the same person and a 25% chance that you are either the same person as above or his friend.

:)

Which of course is ok.

and greetings to all the members whom i havent seen or corresponded with lately.

:D

4. Mattlyndy

lol Hey Thucydides79,

I took my valuation off the McDonald coin book (2011) and a bit of a guess based on the condition of the coin.

For the record I don't know Scope, and I am not Scope lol (I think that is what you were saying).

Also for the record I do like how you have worked out your estimate, book + homework is always a good combination.

Kind Regards
    Matt

5. THUCYDIDES79

No worries, and the valuation in the book wasnt far of. But with what everything else is on offer, the market appears to be illiquid at those eBay prices.

---

and i meant that SCOPE is the same guy as the seller on eBay - wasnt implying you in anyway in my post.
    You contributed your time and posted in the thread.

:)

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

thucy is the harry butler of the coin game

7. Mattlyndy

No probs, thank-you for your incite though as i am a coin collector and am always happy to learn, ill have to remember to run some stuff past you when i am unsure of direction in the future if that is ok Thucy.

Hi Hiho, I am still working on that book, and I was just re-reading your story the other night about your brother in laws car, very funny.

Kind Regards
    Matt.

8. THUCYDIDES79

No worries.

You can send me a PM about any coins ( or anyone else ), but always try and do your own research first.
    Make eBay the 1st stop and see how the coin or similar has performed in the past - prices, type of auctions, number of bids, number of different bidders, etc

9. Scope

Scope New Member

Nah I'm not the same guy as the ebay seller. I'm a complete novice when it comes to these old sovereign coins.

Thanks for your really detailed post. Really appreciate it. So these old sovereign coins can take a while to sell unless you sell below market value?

This coin was graded by the International Coin Collectors. Have you heard of them? Are they reputable? Their website is http://www.internationalcoincollectors.com/index-WP.php/identify-currency/

10. THUCYDIDES79

With coins, as with most other things, market price is what one can get within about a week lets say. Numismatic coins rarely are sold with shorter time frames, and usually are at Buy it Now prices and sometimes with Best Offer. ( these are optimal for seller when selling numi coins imo ).

Regards grading companies.

Stick with

NGC
    PCGS
    and a far third
    ANACS

the one you have linked to, is not well known.

11. Scope

Scope New Member

Cheers mate. I've always wondered to myself... Do you think the 2012 sovs are a good investment seeing as they have a unique design this year?

12. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

The 1882 M half sovereign according to Marsh had a mintage of 107,522 and is categorised as "scarce" so has definite numi value.

As for 2012 sovereigns they are nice coins but watch out for sellers asking 10% + premium over spot.