What's behind the unexpectedly high physical silver demand recently?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SpacePete, Sep 14, 2015.

1. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm not forcing you to read my threads...If you don't like what I say then kick the dust off your feet and move on...Besides, I'm on holidays and fishing season isn't open yet...So I need something to do. Cheers

2. ninteno

ninteno Member

Whatever is broken (beside a fire or sinking in a whole), it has to be fixed within 6-10 hours.
    Why do i not belive any words comming from them?
    Is not that i not belive GP word, it that i not trust to any word from his source.

3. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

Why must it be fixed within 6-10hrs? Complex tooling used to press metal actually takes a lot of time to manufacture and for security reasons they wouldn't have spares lying around for a number of the parts. A catastrophic failure of a number of parts could result in a significant wait time for that particular press to be again operational. Regardless about what you believe, the coins aren't as available at wholesale level but you can still get 1000oz bars so there isn't a shortage of metal.

4. ninteno

ninteno Member

Nobody is talking about a shortage of metal.

A not working production line is one of the worst cases you can have if you are in need to ear money, which is the usal case beiing in production bussiness.

Maybe a US-mint is not that kind of industy that is in need to earn money.
    To have a perfect spare part department in your factory is a must have to be sucessfull.

5. bigsky

bigsky Active Member Silver Stacker

silversearcher, can you take some pics of YOUR spotty kooks or lunars with your spare time,

you have seriously given all PM coins a bashing lately, so I would like to see how bad YOURS are?

I am not talking about funnel webs, crocs or the new roos, which sell for a couple of bucks

over spot, but the semi numismatics for which the Perth Mint charges a reasonable premium on.

I can in all honesty say that I have never seen any milk spots on any PM lunar/kook/koala/eagle coin that I own,

yes most of mine are still in rolls, but I have many opened rolls and loose coins and so far have not come across

this endemic spotting issue that you state. I do not own or collect the basic bullion coins, so I wont comment

on them, but as you mentioned PM semi numismatic as suffering milky death, I would like to see your pics.

cheers Grant

6. I recently did my bi annual Uncle Scrooge swim through the money bin, paying particularly close attention to my Perth Mint goodies and I also would like to seem some evidence of this alleged milk spotting because I certainly see no sign of it either.

7. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Actually I don't think they are - they just have a congressional mandate that they need to mint bullion coins for the public. Very little imperative to increase production capacity to capitalise on these sorts of market conditions, as long as reps in Washington don't start getting inundated with complaints from constituents.

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

10. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Have some photos in the silver coin section. And these shortages ? I seem to have no problem getting what I want. Unless people only want ASE....It's like people are junkies to silver, they need fix...Plenty of Gold available also....Cheers

11. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I can confirm, that there are issues, but from what I've been told, seen, researched, it's more due to die fatigue. I have some lunars and 10oz kooks that show a haze on the queens face and on the animal. This is also pretty well known for the rabbits and tiger years. I've also seen this "haze" i wouldn't call it a milk spot on ox's. I'm specifically talking about the 2oz variety and you must shine a bright white light on it in order to see it. There is a thread in silver stackers that talks about it.

12. bigsky

bigsky Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the replies, I agree silverpc I am not saying there are no issues with the PM product,

but the issue with milkspotting is not endemic in PM semi numismatic products and all the silversearchers

hyperbole of such is over the top IMO. I also think that there more people trying to get their hands

on physical silver than can be produced, thus a 'retail shortage', it is not only in ASE's but other products

as well, all you have to do is read the disclaimers on many retail sites and see the products that

are either on backorder or no longer listed as available to purchase.

I strongly disagree with Silversearchers assertion that now is not the time to buy silver, and that

newbs should do what he does. IMO now is a better time than most to purchase silver, it is relatively

'cheap' compared to historically adjusted prices and compared to other "asset/commodities" classes.

The trick is knowing what to buy, every silver product is a 'buy' at the right price, yes ASE's are not

at that buy price, but there are coins IMO that are a 'lay down misere' at present.

I will respond to the spotting issues in the thread in the coin section

cheers Grant

13. hamannmj

hamannmj New Member

annnnddddd there is the drop.

14. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Yep... there it goes...

15. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

more sink hole for silver to fill :lol:
    [​IMG]

16. amar0821ag

amar0821ag New Member

Is it high demand or can all the "paper silver" floating around have something to due with it?
    Also, was on Provident Metal's site they're buying back @ 10 cents over spot?
    Makes me wonder if they just want it back so they can re-sell it @ a later time when prices are booming?
    But then again, "what the hell do I know?..."buy low, sell high"

17. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I just had a look at Provident buy back prices and i see 2015 ASE "BUY BACK PRICE: $16.41" so that is $1.46 OVER SPOT.

18. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

19. Monsta

Monsta Member

I thought the same thing, immediate reaction was "bloody sandgropers putting their state bird on the coins now?"

Anyway, it seems that we will see more demand generated by the quite heavy price drop last night. Expect your premiums to rise further on rounds and LT.

Spring for the 10oz bars instead people, or kilobars if you can afford them.

20. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maloney pats himself on the back for getting his predictions right about the silver shortage -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8f5mVG9P7o[/youtube]