What will happen to the 200 million ASEs minted over the past 5 years?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Aug 31, 2015.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I think for some, it's an issue of ROI when it comes to silver purchases.

So, for example, if someone is paying $8 more per coin for PM 1 oz silver 2015 Lunars than for 1 oz 2015 ASE's (which is what you'd pay today on APMEX) but in 5 years can sell the Lunars for double what that someone could get for ASE's (new ASE's are more or less a spot play) with no liquidity issues for either well known and popular coin, then that's a great reason to eschew ASE's if you are looking only at maximizing profit.

Besides, why pay 18% more per ounce for ASE's than for high name recognition pure silver bars like these: http://www.apmex.com/product/27087/10-oz-silver-bar-apmex if you are looking to sell in the U.S.?

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Once we make the first quantum computer there will no longer be any need for savings or investments, all work, construction, food production etc. will be done by machines. Jobs as we know them will become obsolete, making earning a living obsolete making mediums of exchange and wealth preservation obsolete. That is why we are trying to make a quantum computer right?

I will be burying my tube of ASEs for use after the war against the machines.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You realize there is a robot designed to seek out monster boxes of ASEs and throw them angrily into the air as a demonstration of disdain for human stores of wealth?

In the below video of a practice run (with tinderblocks) imagine the robot yelling "F*ck your monster box of ASEs!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc[/youtube]

4. mmissinglink

No stinkin' tin pot robot is a match for Monster Stacker!!

[​IMG]

5. mmissinglink

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yes dccp. I bought kooks for the same price as the ASE's. 10 years from now I guarantee you the kooks premium will be higher than the the ASE's. I'd imagine a lot higher. And if one had to unload them for liquidity, even a boat load, I would think you can unload them for a higher price than the eagle, and just as fast. I've placed my bets accordingly, and will continue to do so. Especially if i can get kooks for the same prices as eagles. Sorry my fellow american patriots.

7. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Those original rolls with the orange cap are always pretty pricey. I have seen them go over a grand within the last year.

8. sk

sk New Member

I understand the potential price appreciation of Lunar coins. I own bunch of 5 oz, 10 oz, and kilo Lunar coins and couple 1/2 and 2 oz. I don't have any 1 oz Lunar because of the high premium. I'm willing to pay $2-3 premium for bigger Lunar coins since it too have the potential to appreciate. If it doesn't, I'm only out $1-2 premium. But I don't like the risk/reward of the 1 oz Lunar because I don't know if I can recover $8-10 premium on a bulk sale in the future. Chances look good now but who knows what the future holds. At least with the low premium plays, I'm not out much if I'm wrong. I rather rely on future spot price increase than counting on premium increase.

As for paying 18% more per ounce for ASE than generic silver bars, that's why I own more generic bars than ASE. I think $3 premium on govt coins like ASE, Maples, and Phils are too high. I rather buy generic 10 oz, kilo, and 100 oz bars from likes of SunShine mint, Scottsdale, RCM, RMC, Monarch, etc for $.79-$.99 over spot and get more of the guaranteed ounces. At least with the low priced bars, I know I can call up Provident, Apmex, Texas Precious Metals, etc and sell my entire stack at around $.10 over spot. And I won't feel bad about it because I only paid about a buck over spot. That's not to say ASE, Maples, and Phils are bad plays either. I can get around $1-1.50 over spot for three govt coins and that's on a bulk sale so I'm fine with that too. ASE have other advantages like sale reporting or lack of.

9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

agreed sk. im no buying 1 oz lunars any longer either. i have the horses and snakes. thats it. the rest are kooks.

10. sk

sk New Member

Today I purchased roll of 1987 ASE for $383 from Bay Precious Metals on eBay so there is definitely not much premium increase with ASE. 1987 was the second year Eagles were available and 28 years later, it's selling for similar price to current year coin. At least 1987 ASE is guaranteed to be milk spot free. They don't make silver like they used to.

11. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

By the time silver goes back up they'll all be antiques, worth a ton of money, and we'll all be rich. :)

No seriously, I'm gonna start a big fire and melt all mine. Then turn them into a boat anchor. :p

12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

1---"ROI""??? You've always trumpeted how Ag is a bad investment and for some time, you've vigorously espoused how private mint bars (a/k/a "blobs") and low-premium coins are the worst ideas.
    2---You're suddenly using the word "bars" (GASP!) and eschewing the use of your precious word "blobs"???? WTF??? This is a major turn-around for you!
    3---The "bars" (GASP!) that you refer to are .999 Ag, which is the same purity level as BU ASEs and if/when one goes to resell, there's a significant difference between the resale values of generic private mint bars (gasp!) and ASEs. For those who don't know... ASEs command a better resale price in the US than generic bars (a/k/a "blobs").
    4---PM Lunars and other similar coins enjoy their premium with fans, but not always with professional LCS's or show vendors. Banking on PM Lunars and similar coins is more of a crapshoot in the US than most Lunarlovers care to admit. A while ago, I bought a 5oz Series 1 Lunar for half of the Almighty Ebay Value at my LCS and they were happy to be rid of it. They thought I was a sucker and I thought I was putting one over on them. I don't want to guess who was right because I'm not a pro, but they make their living buying/selling Ag. HA! If I had to bet, my money would be on them.

Overall... If you're in the US and you want to build a solid, stable stack... IMO, putting your money into ASEs, generic .999 Ag from major online vendors and a tiny bit of "semi-numismatic" stuff (if you just have to do that) would be the way to go. I used to be a big semi-numis favoritisa, but the present Milk Spot Tsunami has turned me off to all that semi-numis stuff.

AND NOW... ONCE AGAIN... back to our regularly scheduled programming! IMO... if you want to build a balanced and stable stack, ASEs aren't going to disappear---into an empty swimming pool or anywhere else either. I think they should be a significant part--liike 20% or 30%--of a sensible stack. If you believe otherwise, good for you! Put your money into Canadian Spotted Maples, Somali Spotted Elephants or whatever else pleases you most. Above all else... "Caveat Emptor" (always DYODD) and "Yippie Ki Yay!" ( a tribute to one of our past SS members)...

13. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

ASE's are cool.. I don't mind getting a tube or 10 if the price is right.

Fat Freddy, I got bit by the perth bug and I'm feeling the pain. During this down trend. the lunars are feeling a little bit of a squeeze. The prices are dropping on a bunch of earlier years, which at the time when I was first getting in, thought I was getting value, but now I'm not so sure. Time will tell. The ASE's are dropping like rocks too though. The premium on the ase's stay relatively stable, but the ones on the lunars vary a little more. Nothing wrong with elephants or maples. ASE's are a good choice just because they are highly liquid. People will always buy them.

14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

@silverpv---Your post hit a couple seconds after mine (which took a long time for editing, polishing,etc...). Anyhow: 1--PM Lunars tend to hold value...so far, but I'm not certain about their future because of the Milk Spot Tsunami; 2--ASEs aren't dropping "like a rock"--sadly, vendors are jacking premiums as spot drops, so bottom-line prices are holding pretty stable; 3--Lunars always cost more--despite whatever current market circumstances are; 4--Actually, there's a LOT wrong with Spotted Maples and Spotted Elephants (like for instance the spots); 5--IMO, you're right about about ASE liquidity. The mintage numbers speak for themselves and nobody can argue with the numbers.

At any rate... cue the ASE-haters... Time to jump into the fray and spew venom like there's no tomorrow! Bon appetit, kids!

15. mmissinglink

@ Fat Fred,

My position never was that one can not see a ROI on silver, but instead I have warned about silver not being the cure to all woes, not ever returning to 15 GSR, and no silver to da moon tomorrow as many of the permabulls$h^tters have insinuated....there's a huge difference between those positions, darling. :p

16. mmissinglink

Nice buy and very good for you especially if it is an original unsorted roll of 20 in the orange capped round tubes.

17. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

i highly doubt its unsorted...

I bought a few tubes at $343 of ASE's and recently they were just selling for 17 and change. Honestly, everything has dropped. When you talk about holding value, you're probably talking a larger window than mine. That's fair. I'm also talking about earlier lunars, not the current lunars. They hold their value but are decreasing more because of the higher premium. You are correct, i stay away from RCM, but couldn't help myself with the elephants and the emc2 maples.

I tried to do this preemption thing using an ultra sonic cleaner, some blitz cleaner and cycle it.. Take them out ultra sonic clean them with distilled water, then use a blower to blow dry them... We'll see if that works! haha.. The elephants i got didn't have any spots, but I did get them on britannias. The spots matter more on higher premium stuff than lower, which is surprising cause the lower premium/generic stuff doesn't spot, isn't that ironic? The theory, is if they will spot later on, just try to get that crap off the coin now and put them away.

Anyways, are you saying you would get a different value for a milkspotted ase vs a non milkspotted? If you go to a LCS bullion is bullion, but to individuals it matters more. Depends how and who you sell to. Sealed rolls of maples doesn't matter to people if you haven't opened it, but selling individually does. btw. I do hate milk spots... mmissing and i had a lovely conversation about milkspots all over our beautiful britannias.

In any case, ASE's will go the same way as all the ones before it in time. Perhaps melted down and sold for something else or used in transactions until they are worn down like morgans, etc.

18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

OK... great job of a timely and strategic retreat. Well done! Nonetheless... there's a major difference between ASEs being a prudent component portion of a dedicated stacker's stack (whether anybody else likes it or not) and the likellihood of Ag going "to da moon", so don't try to diffuse and confuse this discussion with such subterfuges.

On another and entirely different note...don't ever again call me "darling". That makes me feel very uncomfortable about your apparently ambivalent sexual orientation, which is something that I'm not at all interested in exploring. In the interest of SS forum harmony, please keep your orientation(s?) to yourself. I (and I expect others) expect the very minimum of that much out of you. Please don't let us down.

19. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Ase,s are my favourite silver coin so I must not be an aussie uSA hater! Actually NY NY is my favourite city in the world followed closely by Vegas :)

20. mmissinglink

@ Fat F,

If you bothered to use your brain for once instead of always only hurling insults, you'd have noticed that none of your criticisms of me or my positions is even remotely true. Now please take your trolling self and go infect another forum with it...we don't need your trolling attitude here