What type of silver bars/coins do Australians buy?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shaun Oliver, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Shaun Oliver

Shaun Oliver New Member

Hello,

For those of you who dont know me (most of you). I am a part time coin dealer in the UK, I was full time but my life took me in other directions. I have a small youtube channel and someone said to me that Germans like to own 1 kilo coins, which got me thinking... What do different nationalities like to buy?

I want to make a video on this and was wondering if you kind people would share your preferences so I can put together a video on different trends in different countries. What I want to know is... do you stack bars or coins, what size and also the rational behind it. By knowing this I can build a thematic code and compare and contrast data from different countries

I will add, Im not here to sell anything I just want to build an anonymous data set just to see if there is a difference in preference around the world.

Thanking you in advance

Shaun

2. rainy day

rainy day Active Member

Hi Shaun,
    I buy whatever is cheapest. But dealers pay more in buy back for 1 kilo and smaller in Australia. So a fair number of 1 kilo bars, only bought 1 kilo coins recently because everyone has run out. Do not get into collectables.

Shaun Oliver likes this.
  3. Shaun Oliver

Shaun Oliver New Member

Hi Rainyday

Im surprised you are the first to answer. Hopefully there will be a good turnout from each country I ask as it provides more validity.

Thank you for your answer Ill put it into the data set.

4. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

(Background) I'm currently in the US but I only stack at my Aus address.
    On this forum (trading section) you'll notice that stacking bullion coin ‘rolls’ from the Perth Mint is very popular (if you see a roll of lunar or kooks that is the format bulk billion coins are sold in capsules - x20 coins). The 2oz rolls are x10 coins. Half rolls of both are very common too. This would be the equivalent to trading 'tubes' from other mints. The convenience of the format plus the wrapping ensures the condition of the coins and capsules remain in mint condition and easy to store / transport. Anything that provides 'bang-for-buck' will sell well - i.e. popular bullion coins that are highly liquid and lower premium will sell quick. MUCH more popular than kilo coins (probably the least popular size around here). 5oz bu coins from the lunar series have been holding premiums well. 10oz bu coins don't seem to be commanding the premium they used to.

Single bullion coins with a case or fancy packaging aren't commanding much of a premium these days, even with limited mintages and CoA's. Neither do full sets of coins (we used to see massive premiums for sales of a full set of kooks or lunars), now people aren't really biting on those. Proof silver coins have been pretty disappointing lately as well and the gap between a bullion and proof version seems to be closing. Obviously highly sought numismatics will always have a premium for the right buyer.

For bars, 10oz and 1kg are the most popular and liquid. 20oz will go quick as well but they just aren't produced very much any more. 100oz bars aren't uncommon but are traded less here. Any bar from a recognisable mint will move quick. Liquidity is king seems to be the general theme.

Other stackers here will be able to give better details - many here keep spreadsheets and are sophisticated with tracking ebay and SS sales to determine trends and premiums, I'm just bored right now and giving it a crack.

You should also get some opinions on junk silver and fractional legal tender (e.g. 50c rounds) - I don't pay much attention to that market but it is quite big here too as a super-low premium liquid silver option).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Holdfast and Shaun Oliver like this.
  5. Shaun Oliver

Shaun Oliver New Member

Thank you!

Ill put it down in the thematic coding, Im hoping to get as many answers as possible from here, at least then I have 2 countries to compare and co ntrast if the others fail

6. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm an Australian stacker. I buy in bulk usually and any size up to a 1 kilo coin or bar will do me. Sometimes there are specials like a reduced price for buying a box of 100 kookaburras. If say they are selling them for $35 each but give you a $1 per coin discount for buying a 100 then I would probably go for the 100 box.

I like 10 oz silver bars and the ones I like most are the minted ones that have a nice design and are covered in heat shrunk plastic, like Geiger Schloss Güldengossa or some Southern Cross Bullion bars. But these 2 bars are more expensive than say SilverTowne, Perth Mint or NTR bars. If there is a $20 difference in the price per bar then I will go the cheaper one but if the price is just a few dollars more expensive then I will go with the one with the better artwork/style/look. To me the price is very important. Unless you love a particular bar for sentimental value or some other reason I just can't see or feel value paying say $100 more for a bar just for the pleasure but that is just me and others might be different. The biggest risk of paying too much for a collector bar is that you might not get your money back, I have had trouble before so I gave that idea up.

As for 1 kilo bars and coins, I buy those too. But the price has to right and without too much of a premium. I guess it is best to say that if a good deal presents itself then I will buy just about anything 999 from 1 oz to 1 kilo. But that doesn't mean I will go and buy 1,000 1 oz kangaroos because they are cheap either. There has to be some variety and spice to life, I hope that helps.

Shaun Oliver likes this.
  7. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Low premium bars. Most bang for my buck is what I usually get.

Shaun Oliver and Silverling like this.
  8. tongkat

tongkat Active Member Silver Stacker

1 kilo bars for the long term stack. Anything else priced right to trade up.

Shaun Oliver likes this.
  9. SouthCoastSilver

SouthCoastSilver Active Member

Perth Mint 1oz coins are very popular, kookaburras in particular I have found to be the most popular. 2oz and 10oz coins aren't very popular imo. Perth Mint and pamp gold in their little card things are pretty popular, 2.5, 5 and 10 grams in particular

But I think we love our old precious metal currency, pre decimal, way more than other places do. Look up the slightly bizzare 1966 silver 50 cent coins, gold sovereigns and half sovereigns, the 90% silver florins, even the 50% florins

Shaun Oliver likes this.
  10. Shaun Oliver

Shaun Oliver New Member

Thank you!
    I Will add this to the data set.

Silverling likes this.
  11. Shaun Oliver

Shaun Oliver New Member

Thank you!
    Thank you!

Skyrocket likes this.
  12. Shaun Oliver

Shaun Oliver New Member

Thank you!

I actually did a tour of Australia last year and brought back some pre decimal, it got snapped up very quickly!

13. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

This thread is a good place for me to learn my ABCs

Shaun Oliver and heartastack like this.
  14. paruwka

paruwka Active Member

1 ounce Kooks and Silver Maples; 1 kilo Kooks cause I get a kick out of such an absurd coin.

Shaun Oliver likes this.
  15. dross

dross Active Member

16. slavaja

slavaja Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

.999 low premium anything and pre decimal silver

Shaun Oliver likes this.
  17. Shaun Oliver

Shaun Oliver New Member

Thanks guys, I am still updating responses. More than happy to hear from other people.

Hi Dross, that is one of my videos, Ive got a pipeline of videos to put out over the next month or so :)