What to do with a "Toned" S2 Dragon

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by FraterArgentum, Nov 21, 2012.

1. FraterArgentum

FraterArgentum New Member

Alrighty folks, I'd really appreciate your help on this one:

Recently I received a 1oz S2 Dragon as part of a trade with another member here on SS,
    When the coin arrived I noticed a "Shadow" of toning on the obverse just up near the rim.
    It's ever so slight, semi-circular, about 7mm at its widest (on the rim) and only noticeable when you get it in either the right light or full, bright light but never the less, it's there.
    Before you ask for pics, I tried taking a scan if it and couldn't get it to show up!
    I'm just wanting everyone's opinion on what I should do with it, do I:
    a) Hold onto it and half heartedly hope that it ends up that allot of S2 dragons have the same issue.
    b) Give up and send it to melt
    c) Sell it at spot to someone that doesn't care
    d) Other

Any & all help much appreciated! :)

2. JollyKillBill

JollyKillBill Member

I think sell it at spot.

Also I will take the dragon (at spot) :D

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately I've seen that on a number of S2 1oz Dragons from an opened roll. Looks almost like silt if the coin had been wet on one edge, but it's a brown stain on the face of the coin. Artifact from the mint, not subsequent damage. Also been caught out in a buy on here with a bunch of coins that turned up like this without the issue being described.

Not sure how widespread it is, many Lunar coins never leave their shrinkwrapped roll. Just hang onto it, but if you're trying to collect a set, search out a better example.

...and if you on-sell the coin, be sure to disclose the condition.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So not toning then?

If it was toning you have two choices, remove the toning by dipping (not recommended) or by using the sodium bicarbonate/tin foil process and risk further damage to the coin by scratching or...

Let it tone totally by removing it from the capsule and exposing it to the air. Some people appreciate it.

If you sell it "toned" and it is not toning but some other type of damage you will probably get an unhappy buyer!

It is still a limited mintage, it is still a desirable release but it has less 'eye appeal' so it is not a complete right off but also won't get you as much as one in pristine condition.

5. FraterArgentum

Thanks allot folks :)
    GP, you're spot on the money with the "Defect"....it's not so much toning, you'd think if it was toning due to exposure to air that it would've affected the whole coin but as I say, it's just a very small semi-circle extending from the rim to half way through the top loop on the "B" in "ELIZABETH".
    I guess with the limited mintage, it is worth holding onto.
    Okie Dokies, this one's going to the bottom of the Safe Deposit Box to be forgotten for 10 or so years when hopefully the toning won't be so much of an issue due to the scarcity.
    Does anyone know if there was any issues with the S2 Tigers looking "Darker" up against its previous & latter friends?

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I had a batch do the same thing, these were split from a mint roll in front of the customer. Who on later inspection noticed the toning. I had not seen it before on a 2012 product so quick. I took it to the mint who really didn't care. It is Silver it WILL tarnish, it is not a fault of the manufacturer at all.

Checking on the forum you had the usual in or out camps. In the long run it will not be an issue, some people prefer a toned coin. I checked all of my other coins stored in the same location and no other items were affected or showing similar signs. So I don't know why the did it or why so soon.

It appears you may now have one :D There were only about 10 effected and I still have a few as well. So it may be across the board on this batch ?

Edit - Link to original post - http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-30483-2012-dragons-bu-toning-and-black-spot.html

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I would not worry too much about toning it just happens for different reasons but it is far preferable to scratches, dings or white spots, who knows in 20 years most of these not kept in sealed rolls will probably show signs of toning.

8. FraterArgentum

+1 for Silver Stackers Forum...
    I've had a very kind offer from another member to swap the coin AT NO CHARGE! :)
    Austacker....it's all good, it was a win, win situation and there's no bad blood whatsoever...was just asking some advice, definitely not winging about the trade or trader! ;)
    I think SS is an amazing community & intend on FINALLY getting around to becoming a "Silver Stacker Member" tomorrow.
    If there was ANY shadow of doubt in my mind about doing so, this situation has made it disappear.
    All this advice, information & community feeling coupled with the "fee free" selling all go towards making this the single best resource/community around (in my humble opinion, of course).

9. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I have just discovered a rabbit with the same issue from a sealed roll - brown spots, not toning.
    Funnily enough, also on the queens side - lubrication residue perhaps.

No issue with the trader whatsoever (this isnt a gripe comment) - it was fully disclosed before the parcel was posted.

Just wondering if theres any way I can clean ... or should I avoid touching it altogether.

10. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Wouldnt worry about it. Scratches you cant get rid of, toning you can get rid of with special liquid dip that your can put silver coins into that removes dirt, toning etc.

11. FraterArgentum

What's this magical anti-toning dip of which you speak...
    Acetone?

12. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

No no not acetone, dear god! I got this stuff from the US when I was over there called E.Z.Est Coin Cleaner. You dip the coin in it for like no more than 5 seconds and it takes dirt, toning etc off. Then you GENTLY dab with a cloth to remove the excess solution.

If you cant find any, I have a couple of unopened tubs (148mls) of it, you can PM me. I think I bought it for like $10 so you could just pay that plus post.

Its the same as sold at this link http://www.air-tites.com/ATezest.htm#.UK3_zYY880U

$3.50?!?! Looks like I got seriously ripped for what I paid! typical :rolleyes:

13. MYdragon

MYdragon New Member