What size perth mint Lunars?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Shippeevt, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I'm wondering what you guys think about lunars of 5,10 and kilo sizes.
    I'm not sure which I wanna concentrate on. It seems with all the years, they minted less 5 oz than 10oz. Does that make one think the 10 is more popular and will appreciate faster or would it be wiser to get 5oz because of the lower mintage? Now kilos are those just to big or do you think that they will have a big collector market? Or will they just be something people want to complete there collection. Is lower mintage alway better I guess is where I'm going with this...

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Depends on your outlook for silver... if you think silver has an immediately bright future 10oz will give you a shot at silver appreciation and semi numi appreciation... well more then 5oz anyway. 1kg waste of time until 2019.

Personally 5oz is so perfect

3. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Yea I have few 5oz horses and I really like the size

4. MoralHazard

MoralHazard Member

10 ounce coin is too much a pure silver play.

I would say 2 oz size will most propably give you the best return on investment with somehow reasonable effort. If you have unlimited time and patience then propably 0.5 oz is the optimal size. However I don't personally think it is worth the time and effort selling half ounce coins in ebay for scalping small profits. You have to factor in your own time spent - time is money.
    Two ounce coin according to my own due diligence appreciates much faster in premium compared to 5 ounce coin and has larger collector base. In Europe 5 oz and 2 ounce coins have exactly similar premium/oz so also from this perspective 2 oz is a clear winner.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

^^^^ -5
    I really don't follow this argument about the kilo not until 2019. That's a bunch of drivel. Folks, buy all the cheap kilos you can on the cheap (Lunars). They may be able to mint them until 2019, but they aren't. Try to find the older S2 kilos! Tiger, Ox, etc...if they're still minted, then surely they would be available a plenty, and at the same price of what the horses and goats are selling for. Why not? They are minting based on today's spot price. But the price of those older SII kilos are high, why? Because they are rare, and not easily found...and I say not being minted...or if they are...minted in very short supply. So, though you technically right; your argument is fundamentally flawed, based on real live products. Just say'n

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You could be right barsenault.

There's plenty of folk who have the Kilo lunars and fwiw The Perth Mint are still very aware of the mintage fiasco for the Kookaburra, and lunar proof / numismatic products.

Although in all fairness to Perth, they have said they will mint any of the bullion Kilo lunars until the end of 2019.

My view is, that, folk who have paid for a kilo coin will not be too happy if Perth strike more coins for previous years regardless of their published mintage policy for the Kilo Lunar and to be honest...The damage of re-striking could cause Perth irreparable damage to their business and of course many folk would not support Perth in the future.

Having said that, there's folk who want the earlier Kilo coins and would be very happy to buy Mouse, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon at today's Kilo lunar price.

I can say this as-well.

Gold Stacker's passed on the Kilo coins to customers in March 2013 for a very good price which was commendable and many folk thank them for this; unfortunately not all the other major dealers in Australia followed suit. And of course there's folk who already had the coins which were a little Peeved by seeing the new Kilo re-strikes.

Often we have found that a particular dealer in Germany is the cause of much heart-ache for the coin community and it's because of this dealer and others in Europe and US that folk are a little nervous.

I think...folk should view the kilo coins as a bullion coins with an unlimited mintage and buy accordingly.

So buy some, but be fully aware of the mintage policy and the capability of dealers to place a very large purchase.

Treat the Kilo as a pure bullion spec play.

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Minting additional kilos shouldn't cause any harm to PM's reputation and no one has the right to complain if the PM chooses to mint more kilos. The PM has been very clear about the ability to mint kilo coins until the end of the series.

Has anyone ever asked the order size to remint a kilo?

9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

thanks holdfast. agreed. I treat it as a pure bullion play, but I believe there will be a semi numi play down the road too...AS LONG as they're not riddled with the white snow. :) And I for one do not mind if they remint the older kilos...bring it on I say...so long as it represents the present spot price. :) i.e. horse and goat. Otherwise, they can stick it. LOL.