What purity do you think this nugget is?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by BootyBandit, Aug 9, 2011.

1. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

2. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I wouldn't have punted on that.

You'll notice on the photograph that there's quartz flecked through it. No chance that the gold content is 3.8 grams.

Honestly, I'd sooner recommend you buy 1g bars for the price. At least they're assayed.

With all that said, I can recommend VANGBAC on here for selling top quality nuggets, I've had his tested and all coming up at around 24ct purity. If it is nuggets your dead keen on, then buy from here.

3. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Hi,

If it is Clermont the gold should be over 91% pure maybe higher. This is definitely a genuine nugget as can be seen by the bit of quartz still in it. Usually these nuggets with a bit of quartz in them are not as desirable as a smoother cleaner nugget. This nugget is a bit 'prickly' and not so good for jewellery - making into a pendant, but is OK if you just want to buy it for gold value. Price was OK.

4. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

thanks for the replies guys, im new to gold nuggets so i had no idea what to look for, just curious how do you get a gold nugget assayed and does it damage the nugget ( is it worth it)?, im hoping this nugget has atleast 3grams of 22-24k gold in it

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I know some gold diggers from clermont. They sell their nuggets for spot (which is more than they get from dealers etc) and have a ready market. As goldpanner said, clermont gold is of a high purity level. You be the judge.

That being said, 3.8 grams is uninspiring. If you wish to purchase a nugget as an investment, you should really be looking at a larger piece. The larger nuggets attract a premium for their beauty.

I gather you own it now as my post was begun before you typed the last post. There are a number of members on this site who have XRF "guns". They may be willing to help for nothing or it might cost you a 6-pack. Where are you located?

6. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Dont try assaying the nugget. The bit of quartz in it really will not weigh much at all - probably less than 0.5 of a gram. The worst thing you can do to a nugget is scratch or damage it.
    It is more than likely 22K.
    If you are going to buy nuggets try to get them at spot price if you can, deal with someone who prospects and finds them themselves .
    Ask where they come from and approximate purity, generally Kalgoorlie gold, Palmer River gold and Clermont gold are OK.
    Remember that if reselling on Ebay you are losing on fees and losing on postage when you are buying.
    Why not try advertising for nuggets on silver stackers?

7. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Advertise on here in the sales, I'm sure you'll pick some up around spot - maybe below if you ask nicely.

I would implore you to PM VANGBAC - not seen him for a while but he moves a good few nuggets. I'll vouch for him personally.

8. mmm....shiney!

Hang on guys, who says he wants to sell or even if he owns it? I was merely speculating. :)

And not spelling very well

9. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

thanks i probably wont get it assayed as I want to keep it natural as it comes, im not planning to resell either Im just buying gold and silver and stacking it highhh, i figured instead of renting a minelab gold detector id probably get more gold just buying nuggets, wish i started earlier this year though, so much money wasted on alcohol, women and holidays

10. mmm....shiney!

Message for all, who here has an XRF and would like to help Booty out? Please PM him.

11. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I've heard that the darker uglier nuggets are actually more pure than the brighgt and shiny ones. I'm getting my buddy to pick up a 2-3 grammer for me from the Dawson City on his way basck home :)

12. 3cav84a

3cav84a New Member

G'day, I have been detecting for gold since 1998 and have found enough to keep me interested. All gold has some impurities in it whether it be quarts or ironstone which carried the gold in the minerilsed solutions. Even the cleanest nuggets carry some other metal alloyed with it some of these include silver, mercury, antimoney, copper to name a few. Some of the purest gold mined was from the Palmer river region which assayed out to 98% finess. I like to keep a few ounces of refined gold as well as a few nuggets

13. PMcat

PMcat New Member

14. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Thanks for sharing that link that is insane I want to get into detecting. There are a lot of beaches in my area that are swamped with tourists all summer I want in on this action. Can anyone recommend a decent affordable metal detector for on the beaches_ in the shallows?