What metal would you buy for 20% of self worth long term 30 years span

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Ipv6Ready, Oct 18, 2018.

1. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is precisely the point. Ipv6Ready is preparing the inherittance. I'm in a similar situation, that's why I made the move into pm in May this year - yes, I know, the worst possible timing for Silver.

I can also understand where SlyGuy is coming from, but where you live also matters. Not every country can print money like America.

Australia is not that bad a place to be at the moment, only problem is the possibility of a housing based financial crisis and resulting unemployment. The AUD will also devalue in a bank default situation.

Singapore is way more vulnerable than Australia since more than half of the working population are foreigners, more than two thirds of bank deposits are foreign money and probably as much cash is lent to or invested in high risk markets like China and Indonesia.

2. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it takes many years to master something, same as silver... it can take years to really get the hang of this thing, there are trial and error in the beginning
    it has taken 11 years for my palladium to see good result

3. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Worst?
    It's one of the lowest prices for the last 10 years

upload_2018-10-19_21-23-28.png

4. SilverDJ

The problem with metals is that it doesn't pay a dividend. And 30 years without compounded dividends is a huge loss. Of course, 10-20% maybe of the total wealth in metals isn't a bad strategy.
    As for which one, well, if you don't plan on being active in selling at any high points in the next 30 years and simply leaving it, it's a pure gamble either way.
    If I had to bet on the metal that had the best odds at some random point in the distant future, it has to be gold, it's the king of metals, the one people lust after, the one people turn to, the one that people will always want.

5. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Ding ding ding. ^^

You don't have to live in USA to invest in NYSE or NASDAQ or US bonds, do you? I have investments in German stocks, Asia indexes, Euro Indexes, international bond funds, etc etc. I'd think that most of the major investing sites are happy to take your money and enjoy your trading commissions no matter where you live?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. sgbuyer

Actually, you're right. I've been buying ADRs since 2012 but I've sold at least 70% of my holding in batches since late last year.

7. alor

but since when cash on your hand ever pay any dividend
    but cash is king ?
    having too much USD like China is too much of a worry, particularly when you can not use it to buy advanced technology, strategic assets etc
    ever wonder buying 1 Trillion USD worth of gold

8. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

I think there is something lost in translation there @alor ,but the bit about buying 1 Trillion USD worth of gold crosses all borders, lol. _JLG.
    KEEPEGG_tears.jpg

9. sgbuyer

1 trillion can buy less than an ounce of gold for every Chinese citizen.

Talking about reserves, Singapore far exceeds China on a per capita basis - probably 50 times more per capita. But I can tell you, it's still not enough. Reason is the cost of raising children, elderly and medical care is too expensive in a country focused on just economic growth.

Singapore is luckier because a smaller population (A citizen population of only 1/400 of China) allows it to import sufficient foreign labour to look after kids and the elderly while the adults work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...ies-admit-having-second-baby-is-unlikely.html

The 1 trillion can only pay 6 month's dancing classes for every Chinese kid.

A lot of people talk about the debt problem in China and the West, but my views are that debt is not the biggest problem because you can always print money - never mind it devalues, at least you can print money - it's fine if you have to print like Zimbabwe and Venezuela.

What you can't print is children - this is something which governments can't solve using money. Singapore uses the easy way out of mass importing people (something which Australia and Canada does also but to a way much lesser extent). Once you import huge numbers of foreign people who lives in Singapore but their loyalty is towards China and India, there's going to be a problem should there be an economic downturn. It remains to be seen what happens when that day comes.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    JOHNLGALT likes this.
  10. alor

hijack other people people
    give them incentives, convert them into your people voluntarily and get them to vote for you...they will fight for you
    people with common interest come together and united

its is not possible to completely use 1 Trillion USD to buy all the gold in 10 whole years

11. SilverDJ

Cash isn't king for long term investment:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_is_king
    You wouldn't store cash in your safe for 30 years, that's dumb.

12. sgbuyer

Depends on what your needs are. Cash is certainly needed for cash flow, but in terms of pm, I'm not sure if it's wise to be all cash hoping for that crash.

Unlike 2007 when gold and silver was in a bull run, pm had been in a bear market. In a crisis, I'm not sure if they would fall as we have seen 2 weeks ago. But what do I know, as I had been wrong since May.

13. SilverDJ

Nothing wrong with all cash waiting for a crash, because that would usually be a short term thing, so losses in terms of inflation are minimal.
    Although PM's are good for that too, at least ones in easily convertible form so you can move quickly to grab large value bargains if needed.

They should go up in theory, but it's usually not much if it does, and of course can also fall. Basically a gamble. At least cash basically can't loose value (unless you are talking foreign currency investments) in the short-ish term.
    Probably wise to have both.

14. alor

government around the globe devalue their currencies all the time, every treasuries has done that before
    there is never an exception
    nothing is risk free

15. SilverDJ

Sure, but in the short term, say a few years, unless the country completely and utterly collapses or has seriously high inflation, cash is pretty stable. The price of your big screen TV or car isn't going to double in a year or two.
    That's what makes cash a generally good place to park your money if you think the stock market is about to collapse this year for example.

16. sgbuyer

The trouble is I've discussed my silver purchases with family, and received a lot of skeptism. With prices crashing in USD almost soon after (although in SGD it hasn't fallen that much), I now look like a fool.

If you are aware, buying bars and coins is not popular here, the only investment that people talk about are properties.

17. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

This is all true, but you don't really know exactly when the buying opportunity will arise with stocks. Since it could be awhile, bonds or bond ETFs can give you roughly 3%. The bonds would usually go down minimally or actually go up in value when a stocks crash occurs, and the money is already in the investment account that way. It only takes a few clicks to dump bond shares and buy stocks when you see better value arrive, and that 3% or more while the buying power is parked can help a lot if growth is your main goal :)

I fully agree that cash is never wrong, though. Tons of bankrupt former rich people would have been fine if they just had their money in savings and CDs instead of buying into poorly run business, consumer debt, risky growth stocks, etc etc. Also, if you're not sure what you might need it for (emergency vs stocks vs down payment vs metals), cash is a versatile choice. Nothing beats cash for supreme liquidity.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  18. alor

certain people seems to know when exactly time to be buying stocks for very good price
    gold is liquid as people are dealing them at spot, it is always good to have a lot of gold around

19. sgbuyer

If oil prices don't blow up due to the politics in the Middle East, it is possible that the stock market may have one last time to rally before the blow off comes.

To beat the tariffs, US importers are buying as much as they could store, while Asian exporters are experiencing the best business in ages. As a result, economic activity is better than ever, but the sharp slow down that comes after that will be devastating to exporters.

If you thought that emerging market stocks are bad, wait till that sledge hammer comes. I'm not sure how this will affect gold and silver. The fear effect may provide some support for gold.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    oziwassabi likes this.
  20. alor