What laws affect you

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by renovator, Feb 19, 2013.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's for indictable offenses (carrying 2 or more year's jail).

2. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Incorrect.

It can be used to PREVENT an indictable offence OR for the lawful arrest of someone for ANY offence.

3. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

true... you can citizens arrest someone... i was more thinking whacking them in the ribs with a cricket bat and scaring them off is not aloud :p
    what would the punishment be for walking in an open door and taking something? unarmed and non threatening to any person?
    also you can't own a proper set of restraints (handcuffs) they are prohibited items in Australia (so google told me on a quick search) you can only get novelty ones... so once you make a citizens arrest how are you suppose to detain the person until police arrive? i guess you could go getto on them and get the cable ties, if you have them handy..
    that said, if someone came into my house trying to steal something off me.. i wouldn't hesitate in hurting them to the best of my ability .. like the topic says.. "what laws apply to you" :p

4. grinners

I assure you, if someone broke into my house, they would 'resist arrest' and feel the full force of reasonable and proportionate! :D

It's all about wording things correctly ;)

He didn't get a broken arm "because he broke into my house, so I beat him". He got a broken arm because "he was resisting my lawful arrest" etc. etc. :D

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

knock them out!

if that doesnt work then kill them :p

6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It does say "lawful arrest" which I understand as being an offense a person can be arrested for. That rules out most civil offenses.

7. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Not to be pedantic, but you can harm someone legally, in cases of self defence or defence of property. There's obviously a bit more to it than just pounding someone into mince meat if they just walk onto your property.

8. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

That would be a lot of the education system.

9. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hmmm. I've just given them a once over and can't find anything troubling; could u be a bit more specific? :-}

10. grinners

Civil law is not my area of expertise so I will bow out at this point.

Trespassing, however, is a criminal offence.

11. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The real test is:

1. Can you arrest a police officer for breaking the law?
    2. Can you arrest a politician for destroying the country?

In both instances, I have no doubt that the 'system' will rally to fight you at all costs.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I've never considered that... A citizens arrest of a police officer, I suspect it would end with several bullets in the citizen

13. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

if you were going to do it, you would have to have witnesses, and lots of cameras catching it from lots of different angles..
    if you are shooting a cop with a camera, they are less likely to shoot you with a gun.

14. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ plus lots of the correct jargon I reckon. Would have to do it "by the book".

15. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Sorry I think a little more understanding of the different political systems is in order. We have only one tier of government. There is no federal or state levels here. I have lived parts of my life in both countries and the differences this makes are huge. You still have different rules in different states for things. This leads people to be less accepting of stupid policy.

Example different states have different laws regarding canabis. So when you have someone from Adelaide talking with someone from Melbourne for example there is an alternate point of view. There is an alternate experience living under different regulation. Car warrant of fitness or road worthiness is another great example. Here in New Zealand we have one government and one law for everyone.

We lose the chance to interact with people who experience different levels of freedom as an every day experience. Sure people might get upset for a very short time when dumb laws are passed but that quickly passes. There is no easy comparison of how things used to be and how they are now.

Think of the law requiring you to wear helmets but seldom comment about it since its been law so long, what can we do about it. even if everyone thinks its rediculous to legislate it. But imagine if the law differed by suburb, living in a helmet law suburb, knowing friend from different suburbs who bike to work helmetless and legally. The discussion would be more frequent on both sides of the coin, both pro and anti helmet teams. There is less acceptance that the way things are is how they should be.

The less differences in law in different places the less opotunity people have to compare and assess if they are getting a bum deal. That's a major problem with globalisation. The whole world is getting more and more homogenised, it gets easier and easier to control us the more of us under the same umbrella of control with less and less comparisons. Those refusing to buy into it just become isolated from a larger amd larger mass becoming increasingly easy to paint as dangerous rouges.

Hence my thinking of a small party geared to provoke the big parties (liberal and labour to you I prefer to just call them mr blue and mr red because the same two party control is used on so many populations.) to compete with each other not by adding their own new abominations to the law books, rather by striking out what they view as their opponents biggest mistakes.

16. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Hawkeye... I'd be interested to know stats on how many kiwis vs Aussies on this forum. As you said we don't get a good view of the Australian public by reading this forum. But how many members per million of population? Why are our premiums so much higher than in oz? I think because less people question the status quo in any form of libertarian manner. Those resisting the system here are more likely to be greenies lobbying for more regulation and less freedom. The very party that's been campaigning for our very own QE program to save our dollar from being "significantly overvalued" when compared to the US Monopoly money.

17. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

I have no idea about any of your questions.

Admittedly I don't keep in touch with the MSM in Australia. I find the idea of poking my eyes out with a stick much more appealing than watching Oz TV, or listening to Oz radio, or reading Oz newspapers. To be fair, that's true in the US and UK too. So maybe Oz became more libertarian while I wasn't looking, but conversations I have in the real world don't seem to indicate this. I get the feeling I am still in a small minority. People want lower interest rates and easy credit, but then complain about the effects of higher prices particularly house prices. People want everything without having to pay for it, the free lunch syndrome and I don't see that changing here.

18. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ Libertarians are DEFINITELY in the small minority in Oz (but growing). It's hard enough finding a classical Liberal nowadays :(

19. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Which brings me back to the elephant in the room here ... without a right to bear arms there can never be freedom!

20. Byron

Byron Guest

Tell us more about your train track fine. Where you going over where there was no crossing? How did they get you?