What It's Like To Be Poor

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by fiatphoney, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

TheEnd, one of the best ways to get "noticed" is to turn up early and leave late.

Find something extra to do...especially cleaning up. It's a small thing...but makes a huge difference. Don't make a pest of yourself or appear to be a "suck-hole". Be subtle not to 'show-up' the other workers 'too much'... just enough to stand apart.

If someone asks why you're still around after the shift has ended, just say you "just wanted to finish this little job & besides there nothing to do at home".

Pretty soon, they'll get used to the place being neat and tidy & pleasant while you're around & having the place messy becomes unbearable. They won't be able to put a finger on it... but all they know is things are more pleasant with you around. Then you're at the front of the cue for a Full-time position or more shift hours.

...then you can slack off :p

2. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Mate I just did all that last week.....Had the place spotless, re organised and sorted the pallet stacks outside (gees some are to lazy to put in the right stack)........Worked out how to use the wrapping machine properly because it was stopping on everyone, Went thru and did a stock take and wrote EVERY product that was wrong, Even showed one operator how to re charge a forklift properly cos he did'nt have a clue how to check the volatges etc!

Got told buy the only operator that had been there for 12 months that they had employed too many in that part of the warehouse and the new computer system was making things worse not better.....They used to do it all manually....I bloody over it!

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Vodafone sucks everywhere, not just where you live.

1. Call them.

2. Tell them you're making an official complaint about the quality of the service.

3. Get a reference number (if you haven't got one already from earlier conversations).

4. Tell them you would like a $0 payout to end the contract.

(a) If you haven't finish paying off a handset, offer to return it and then go buy a cheap phone for cash.
    (b) If you already own your handset, tell them to go f*** themselves that paying out a service-only contract where the service is substandard is ridiculous and unacceptable.

5. If they don't agree to let you port your number to another carrier, tell them you're going to take the matter to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

6. They may offer a compromise. Don't take it unless it's extremely close to a $0 penalty for you.

7. Go to www.tio.com.au and register a complaint with the Ombudsman using the form on their website.

8. Sit back and relax while the TIO smacks Vodaphone around the head for you.

4. Clawhammer

Wow...how's this for timing. Zero Hedge showing how our housing just keeps getting more...well..more

[​IMG]

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-24/look-inside-new-normal-mcmansion

5. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Thanks Big A.D!............Ye i did get a complaint number sent by sms this morning......Might ring them now and spend another 45 minutes talking to an indian I cannot understand then get switched over to someone else then someone else after that lol!

Your time is up Vodaphone :lol:

6. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I give up

If you've been on unemployment benefits then why on earth are you signed up for a $60+ per month contract ???????
    Was it to get a new iphone or something ?

If you do get out from vodaphone -

http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-rates/simplicity/

7. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can get an Aldi mobile plan unlimited calls and 5 gig of data and. It uses the Telstra network if I remember correctly......

8. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Wow that sounds good....Uses the Telstra network too.....Thers an Aldi 25k's away will go tmrw and check it out!

9. Clawhammer

Wasn't that the Koogan plan that went T!T$ up just last month?

10. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

As far as I new a contract with capping was the way to go.......Vodaphone contract is $50 per month but they always seem to bump it up to $60-65.....I dont even make many calls ffs I just text!

And now Telstra are ripping into us with ther new BS bundle that was supposed to save up to $30 a month.......One dumb Kiwi sales girl from the Gold Coast told us all our calls would be free with the new bundle deal a couple of months ago......I asked her twice if that was for sure and she said YES...........I said bno worries thats awesome!

The next week we got a call sayin that deal could not be done anymore and was wrong......tertling shifty A'holes.....Luckily we had'nt actually signed up yet!

And going by the first new invoice from the bundle deal they've jacked the internet usage way up more than previous months too!

11. Newtosilver

Kogan gave you an extra gig and was $5 cheaper than Aldi, Aldi seem to be very good. No problems with them so far, coverage is better than Vodaphone. You need to supply your own phone though which is no big deal. With the Internet you are not supposed to use it as a wifi device and use your tablet or computer and there is a Max usage of 400 mb a day so no downloading movies.

A lot of people pay over a $100 a month for phone and Internet. Pay $35 and put the other $65 into savings / house. If you are struggling the extra cash will help you out a lot.

12. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

OMG I can't keep up with all this tech....Wot the hell is WiFi?....All i want is a cheap phone plan!

13. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a kids music group like the Wiggles

14. Newtosilver

Lol, nearly peed myself laughing when I read that.......:lol:

15. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Here's the latest on the Kogan deal going bad......A comment below says 'Amaysim' is the way to go? And these cheap as deals only last 30 days then you gotta go back and get a new simcard again!

http://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/News/Aldi-strips-out-half-data-from-Unlimited-Plan

16. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Well i'll be damned.......Just typed in Vodaphone on google to try and find a better deal or option and this came up.......Wonder if it was my phone call today that made them realise their product is shit in outer regions and something needs to be done??? They been telling me for months they're 'upgrading' the system!

OMG no wonder they're falling behind, wot a joke....FFS were up Windows 7 and even 8 these days.........read this very last comment!

Mr Wiles said his priorities included upgrading staff computers away from Windows XP and towards newer operating systems, as well as upgrading parts of its Siebel CRM system.

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/vodafone_to_spend_hundreds_of_millions_0qAgnBS6ZbXjBgrCVzvgMI

17. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I can't help but agree that your phone call was the criticial piece of the puzzle that was missing

18. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Well I just rang Vodaphone to find out how much I pay for sms.....Tried to get a password sent to check online but it bloody would'nt come through a few times so had to ring...that cost me $3 (1300 STD call).

VP have been charging me 30c per text......That Telstra pre paid site says 12c per text.....And calls only 15c per minute...........Plus unused credit roll-over ..........I've been gettin ripped off...........again! :mad:

19. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

And that's not the half of it

I've just bought a shitload of telstra $30 prepaid starter kits for $10 each from auspost and officeworks over the past month while on sale

So for $10 I can activate a new sim each month on the prepaid encore cap plan, chuck it in my ipad and get 400Mb of data for a month
    On top of that I can transfer the $30 credit to my mobile (that I paid $10 for)
    so my calls actually cost 5c per minute and smses 4c each

You got a new phone with your $50 contract - that's what you've been paying for - no such thing as a free lunch

20. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

$50 - emergency fund (so you don't end up on the dole again)
    $70 - food
    $20 - mobile
    $20 - internet (this isn't really a necessity but you insist. Im on a 15Gig 3G plan with telstra for $80/month and its great, only needs a power point to work. No need for a home phone or dsl line)
    $170 - rent a room in a shared house near a bus depot or a train station; this could be split with your S/O. stop using the car all together. if your so poor sell the car.
    $50 - public transport costs (way overestimated)
    $15 - power bill
    $55 - left over! you may even be able to use your car every now and then!

If you have kids things are a little harder but you mention you have an S/O. I would assume she has an income,

Im on ~$520 a week and I'm able to put away $300 of that. It isn't hard