What is this worth?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by dreaming555, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dreaming555

dreaming555 Member Silver Stacker

2. dreaming555

they are real diamonds

I am more interested in the serial number - does it give a hint to the vintage of the piece of setting?

3. Nukz

Nukz New Member

My guess its sometime after 1856 since thats when Credit suisse was founded :p /joke

Very nice piece if those are real diamonds it really makes it a nice find, how did you come to have this? I assume the chain is also gold as well so it will exceed 10g.

4. dreaming555

setting 18K - chain 9kt

5. Ageo

Ageo Member

Basically to find out how much its worth from a scrap point of view... pull apart the chain, and frame then i would buy the chain as 9ct, frame as 18ct and bullion as 24ct (assuming they are what you say).... work out the prices for gold and weight and that will tell you roughly what its worth. The diamonds will have no resale value as they are too small and you only have a miniscule amount (keep em to re-set in something else).

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

diamonds have no resale value? mmmm interesting ...very interesting. u better cut them off & send them to me

8. Ageo

Ageo Member

How much would you pay for them? and i said "those" diamonds would have virtually no resale value (unless you had a desperate jeweller who prepared to offer $50-$100 depending on what quality they are and weight.) but diamonds for resale lose so much value its not funny as you cannot melt them and recut.. all you can do is re-set em.

9. renovator

even small rocks with the right colour cut & clarity can be worth more than u think. its all about the 3 C s

10. Ageo

Ageo Member

Are you talking from experience or from dribble?

I have a stack of diamonds i have collected over the yrs and basically small loose diamonds like that will fetch a $ per ct in weight, those stones look small (1-3 pointers) which are classed as commercial quality stones (i.e when they cut them they are cut with much less precision unlike larger stones hence you cant tell the quality difference with small stones).

I think i should know as i do this on a day to day basis..... what you read and what happens are 2 very different things.

And the 3 C's you talk about, i would like to know more on what you think they relate to?

11. renovator

only from a friend of mine that was jeweller for many years those were his words that he told me so i have no idea what the stones are worth but they are worth something as you said in your post a jeweller would maybe pay 50 to !00 dollars it means they HAVE a resale value my original post was a giggle that they had NO resale value & how you can tell from a photograph only is a mystery to me... geez a bit touchy arent ya as for the dribble comment my friend was a jeweller his whole working life so i have every reason to believe him are you a qualified jeweller? if you are then theres definately a difference of opinions as in all trades but i know he would never comment until he actually seen it & inspected it person.only reacting to your first post is said NO resale value then your second post said VIRTUALLY no resale value if you said virtually in your first post i wouldnt be having this conversation

12. Ageo

Ageo Member

Renovator didnt mean to come across snappy, just that when i speak i try and leave the bullshit out and go straight to the facts.... sure the diamonds are worth something but they are not worth big$$$ like what most people think (hence the reason why i said they are basically not worth selling as you will get peanuts for it).

Im not a qualified jeweller but have been around precious metals/stones for a long time and do extensive work with them on a daily basis....

Anywayz a bit off topic but basically should answer the topic on hand.

13. renovator

its all good ageo im hard to offend

14. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What if I were to request you use capital letters when appropriate? :D

15. renovator

hahahaha good on ya nugget everyones a COMEDIAN lol