What is the cost to buy a Full Set 1oz Silver Panda's ?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Austacker, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

That was the question I asked myself, I didn't really have a clue. I did have the information it just needed consolidating. So I set to list every Silver Panda from 1983 - Current including commemorative, proof etc... as long as it was 1oz Silver it was on the list. I included the first years even though they were not an oz but to keep the years accurate.

Next I needed a way to price it, so using Peter Anthony's price guide I was able to see some pricing, but what to use ? As this was a collection I decided to use MS69 grades as a benchmark. The variation was if only OMP or a MS70 was listed. This gave me a price that in reality should be the maximum needed to buy a full set of Pandas.

Some of the details that come up were -

Type - 101(update) Individual coins in the series. The only year not released was 1986.

1oz BU - 38 including varieties SD, LD etc...

1oz Proof - 63 Issues inc Comm Proofs and BU Comms,

Mintage - 6,021,300 based on listed mintages some adjustments would be needed for current mint numbers which have not been added. Either way that is a tiny number for a complete set.

So the question is, how much is a full set of 1oz Pandas, I know the answer.

Have a guess and see how close you come - $

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Over $9000.

Well, as a guess I'll guess $88,888. I could look in pricepedia and do the math myself but I'm lazy and that's cheating :lol:

I'll let you all know how much it REALLY costs to get a set of MS69 1oz BU Pandas (excl. varieties) once I finish my set... missing 2 coins...

3. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I reckon you will be a lot less than the price that mine shows. Due to the fact you would get the best price you could instead of using a generic price point what it will do is hopefully show how much of a bargain hunter you are.

$88,888 Nice guess, but too high

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think I put together my first bullion set (1989-2010) for about $3000... that was all OMP, and wasn't the best quality Pandas.. I just wanted to finish off my Panda set... then once I got my satisfaction from that, it was time to improve the set :)

I'm still working towards an OMP perfect set, including all the variations (e.g. LD, SD, D, MDST, Serif, etc).

I'm also hoping on a MS69 Set... but that is far behind my OMP set.

The biggest problem with me, is that whenever I see a BARGAIN in gold or the larger silver Proofs (5oz, 12oz, etc), I often can't resist and use up my capital towards that.

So to work out the total for a complete set of Pandas??? ... I got no idea... but it would be phenomenally high... especially if you included the silver Munich Pandas.

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

A few more Panda figures -

There are 73 Pandas with a mintage of under 100,000

Based on mintage figures, there are 13 rarer coins than the 1995MD ST 1oz BU Silver Panda. 10 of which are cheaper than a 1995MD ST, there you have demand driving the price of the item, not rarity alone.

6. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Where did the 6mil total mintage number come from, or is that running up until 2010?

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Yes, up till 2010 at this stage.

8. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I think is 15.000 or mor

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Yes it is certainly more than $15K

Also looking through more data I was able to update the number of released coins to be 101 including new Comms.

I do not have mintage updates but you could say another Million coins would not be hard to imagine. Still a very small base when you think about it.

10. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

its got to be alot!!! Austacker , I looked at your list of the top 13 of course I am determined to complete that list........ looked at what I already have (6 of them) and I calculate, it is no lunch for 2 years to get the last 7 :):):):) the big problem is what Yennus says ,I get side tracked, its always a deal "you just cant resist" , I try to sell a little bit on e bay (common and lunar stuff) not to make money but to help support the collection ........2.5 year old twins in my house ,Im collecting for my enjoyment now and hopefully some return for them, and if I can get them interested,I will have some coin collecting partners:) to go to shows with, I gave them each a 2012P baby dragon in ngc holders to play with ,both my girls run around the house saying"look daddy dragon coin" so i have high hopes!!!............my guess 112,000 usd

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

With the new data added in I get a figure of pretty close to $50K this is at current Dec 2011 Pricing as a guide. I would say +/- $5K-$10K depending on what some of the rarer items cost at the time.

One thing I have taken away is still look for good buys, you need items to trade, and sell keeping your turnover up. So getting a little distracted is OK every now and then. Plus it is fun as well. It is important to stay focused on getting the top ones first, as generally they will never be cheaper to buy than now. Again depending on what people want to collect, or invest in.

12. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

The top 20 rated on rarity can be had for as little as $28K that would give you a good spread as well to cover your bases. I find that amazing, again this is a mix of bullion and proofs, comms. I don't know of any other release that has had the growth in a short period. Is it a bubble. I don't think so due to so many people collecting these and entering the market. What do you do after you have the full set of BU MS69 inc varieties. You start to see what else there is. Enter proofs, comms etc... Imagine if you only need that coin to complete your set, what would that be worth to you ?

A lot of these rarer coins can be had at bargain prices. This is for the collector that is focusing on just the 1oz Silver series. You do need to take into account demand with these, as not everyone is going to want them. Just as not everyone wants a 2000SM or a 1995MD, so who knows. Looking through these I have no doubt that there must be similar bargains across the board in other sizes and metals. A little project for me to do in 2012 :)

13. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Its a crazy price
    :)
    Here for 60/80 You can buy a apartament in the city or buenos aires

14. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No way... :) *Wow!*

A small collection of 2000 Mirrors, 1999 Serifs, and 1995 MicroDate Small Twigs can buy an apartment in the city of Buenos Aires!!!?? :)

...that is so cool!

Maybe it might be time to have a Panda Party in Argentina soon! :)