What is the classification of collectible coins? Where to find it?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by JustNick, Dec 27, 2016.

1. JustNick

JustNick New Member

Hello everyone. I am struggling with the classification of the collectible items. If anyone can help with info or examples I will be very grateful.

1) So there are collectible coins. Are these only the coins that go in series? If no, then which coins belong to collectible coins?
    And how to classificate them?

2) There are collectables as hand casting items (like statues or pyramids etc). Where do these belong? Are these collectibles or not?

3) Can hand poured bar be a collectible? If yes, then in which case?

2. JustNick

JustNick New Member

I've made some research, but I'm not sure I have found all the information. Some categories may vary and I'm getting confused because of that:/

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the SilverStacker forum JustNick.

In my view, it's ludicrous and hostile that a forum member reprimand a new member for not knowing all the answers. NuggetHunter, if you don't want to answer questions, then just don't respond at all.

I would describe a "collectible" coin as any coin that the market will likely pay a "numismatic" or "collector" premium for. Such a coin could be any coin at all....but of course the reality on the ground is that raw bullion coins like modern bullion ASE's are not collectible for the reason that tens of millions of these coins are minted every year in the past several years.

Now that doesn't mean that bullion ASE's can't be considered collectible and garner rather very high collector premiums (in certain instances).....many do, but those that do almost invariably tend to be 1980's examples that are graded MS70 by PCGS or NGC, the 2 top tier coin grading companies.

This is my abbreviated explanation....I have a million things to do as usual.

I hope this explanation is somewhat helpful.

4. mmissinglink

That's not true at all....I encouraged no such thing. Providing truthful, objective information without any "you should buy" types of enticements can't be construed as encouragement by any reasonable person.

What is encouragement of the worst kind is when certain stackers insinuate or insist the standard pumptard "silver will shoot to da moon tomorrow" nonsensical rhetoric...especially when it's much more likely than not that silver will do just the opposite. It's not only encouragement of the worst kind, it's totally deceptive in all but the most remote and rare instances.

Also, another dishonest claim of yours is that you were "advising him". You were reprimanding him only. Advising him would have looked like what I did....giving him specific advice on the specific subject he raised. You wouldn't have needed to spend an inordinate amount of time explaining things....just give a couple of insights and observations and state that there's more to say on the subject but you don't have the time. But you didn't do that...instead you nastily reprimanded him.

As JustNick already explained to you (but you don't bother reading or you lack reading comprehension), he already did research but his concerns weren't answered by his research. And research can certainly consist of going to forums and asking people with experience what they have found to be true or how they see it. You completely discourage research when you reprimand people for asking clarifying questions....that's shameful of you.

We should be a community that welcomes new people....not shuns them for asking honest questions to clarify concerns they have.

5. mmissinglink

^ Between the two of us, you fool no one but yourself. Good luck trying to get someone else to believe the nonsense you spew.

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I deny your reality & substitute it with mine :p
    I agree with NuggetHunter it's an open ended question :eek:
    And if the OP can't get his head around the difference between coins & bars :lol:
    :rolleyes:

7. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

I think the issue that mmissinglink had with NugetHunter is that NuggentHunter gave a rely that was more so "if you want to learn something go look it up yourself". That's not really helpful in any scenario. If falls under the "if you can't say anything nice-then dont say anything" clause. So mmissinglink probably thought "if you're just going to be aggressive & not offer any kind of help on the subject then why even post?"

Whatever. It happened. Moving on.

Has OP's original question(s) been answered?

8. mmissinglink

spannermonkey, that you agree with NuggetHunter actually isn't anything to be proud about. Did you read his absurd and divisive remarks???

As for your contention that the OP doesn't know the difference between a coin and a bar, that's an utter red herring. If you bothered to read the OP comment, you'd have noticed that the questions had nothing to do with the difference between a coin and bar but rather everything to do with how others classify specific types of collectible silver.

It's quite sad that this forum has its share of Neanderthals who are hostile toward newbies who have legitimate questions and hostile toward anyone who points out that hostility.

Happy New Year.

9. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Such is the evolution of man.

10. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Then you go wright a book on the subject
    I'd want $10k+ to educate anybody asking the same question :eek:
    And I've said the same thing to people standing in front of me :lol:

11. JustNick

JustNick New Member

Thank you all for answering.

mmissinglink,
    These words are very close to what I though a collectible coin is. Thanks for answering.

Guys, I didn't intend to get a long answer, I thought there exists a classification similar to:
    "Collectible coins:
    1) Series;
    2) Sets;
    3) etc... "

Now I guess I'll better search for some books or anything that can help me with that.

12. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Just Nick, I agree with missing, I think it was a little demeaning the way some of the folks responded, but I get their point. However, it wasn't like you were asking about making a purchase of a million dollar collector coin, and should you do it, and what is the difference between that coin and a bullion coin. It seems you wanted some high level explanation of what classifies a coin as a collectible/numismatic vs a bullion or semi-numi coin. If someone didn't want to answer, they shouldn't have responded by saying, 'too bad, not giving you the answer, go look it up yourself.' Perhaps that is the Aussie way, who knows. Lol. A little rough around the edges, but then again, I'm an American, we try to smooth out those edges....hehehe.

Here is some good food for you to chew on. The difference between a bullion and a numismatic.

https://www.providentmetals.com/kno...ls-resources/bullion-vs-numismatic-coins.html

A tidbit from the article:
    Precious metals broker, Don Stott, draws a poignant comparison:

Let's say you need to drive from Florida to California at least a 2000 mile trek and you have the choice of a Model-T Ford or a brand new Cadillac.

While the Model-T is an impressive, beautiful car, it also hails from a bygone era. Indeed, there are only two forward gears and it doesn't go all that fast. While it would make a great show-car in a parade, it isn't prepared for your arduous journey.

The "thousand-mile trip" is a great metaphor to use when considering bullion versus numismatic coins. While numismatic coins are exciting from a historical/collecting perspective (like the Model-T Ford), they aren't an investment meant to make the distance to a safe, secure future.

"Even though there are those who use numismatic coins as a store of wealth, their value is not always associated with the bullion spot price. Only the most experienced collectors are successful at employing this tactic."

Another crucial point (which we hinted at above) is, if you're thinking of purchasing gold or silver as an investment, DO NOT allow anyone to convince you to buy numismatic coins because "they can't be confiscated." Indeed, that is a myth perpetuated by many an unscrupulous dealer.

All the best mate.

13. mmissinglink

^ This is exactly the type of response all forum members should be giving if bothering at all to respond to a newcomer's reasonable question.

That some forum members find it appropriate to attack and reprimand someone with a legit question is truly an embarrassment to this forum and shameful behavior. It must really suck being that sort of a hostile person. :rolleyes:

14. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Nugget I agree that google is avaialable. you don't know this person's circumstances or why he is asking us vs just googling. I see you are from Austrailia. All you dudes rough around the edges? Lol. I know a few aren't thank goodness. lol.

15. mmissinglink

NuggetHunter assumes all sorts of ridiculous things and then behaves with utter contempt for the new member for no sane reason....that's what I refer to as Neanderthal behavior.

You don't have any worthwhile answer to legit specific questions a new member has, then don't bother even responding....it's that simple.

Only someone immensely arrogant would think that reprimanding a new member, instead of responding sensibly to the questions asked, is appropriate.....and foolishly trying to defend that hostile behavior is even more pathetic.

Happy New Year.

16. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Well I guess it's settled. Far too big of a task so why even try. Am I right?

How you going to accuse other people of over reacting when your initial reply was clearly a case of someone over reacting?
    Maybe you need to see a doctor. It's clear to myself and I assume other people that there's a "disorder" in your thinking.
    Having a lil' smoke & drink before hitting the forums, huh?

17. mmissinglink

^ Bingo.

I remember very early on when I newly joined this forum, a forum member was also very hostile to me and made all sorts of bizarre and absurd accusations along with just being nasty.

A couple of days later that forum member apologized in PM and admitted that he was drinking libations when he made those comments.

I hope Nugget sobers up some day and apologizes to JustNick for acting like a turdhead. There's nothing community-oriented about someone acting like a Neanderthal to new members.

18. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Nobody is projecting anything. Someone viewed your post and called it out because of its aggressive and unhelpful tone.

However, feel free to continue with your passive aggressive rhetoric if it helps you cope.

19. JustNick

JustNick New Member

Thank you for being loyal and giving a good answer, I appreciate that!

20. mmissinglink

Nugget Hunter, you really need to get back to your padded cell and put away your colorful alphabet blocks....your psychotropic meds have obviously worn off already.

If you would bother to actually read with any sort of minimal comprehension, you'd have noticed:

1) that Barsenault didn't write the article he referenced
    2) that the author of the article clearly seems to imply that "numismatics" are NOT just key date rare coins that may retain their value over time, but rather any and all older coins. And if this is the case, then the author may be making a valid argument for many of these older coins whose value isn't meaningfully more than spot or has gone down considerably as they gone out of current favor. I have a number of old silver coins that I keep in tin cans....coins that are not key dates and are in not so good condition. What are they worth? Will they make that hypothetical 2,000 mile journey? I doubt it. If they were key dates or in MS condition, then, yes, probably....but even many common date mint state Morgan Dollars have lost considerable value over periods of time. And of course that's not to say that bullion is necessarily and always a better investment....there are very few absolutes when it comes to "value" (long or short term) as value is always something subjective attached by individuals.
    3) that you have predictably taken Barsenault's reference of this article completely out of context. The reason Barsenault referenced the article is for the purpose of explaining why absurd assumptions (such as, that attacks on new members merely for asking legit questions/asking for experiential feedback from other members, is somehow warranted or appropriate)....among other absurd assumptions made by people like you, are in fact so nutty.

NG, with every comment you make, you are digging your hole even deeper than it already is. You ought to stop while a couple of rays of sunlight can still penetrate the depths of your self-excavated hole.