what happens to PMs in a divorce?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by ego2spare, Nov 4, 2014.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

You'll be fighting over who has to pay the storage fees for a worthless asset :p

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You younger ones (male) thinking about marriage should explore some of the anti-marriage discussion on YouTube. It even has an ugly acronym - MGTOW - men going their own way.
    The major theme is something like men vitiate all their rights and liberties by entering a marriage contract and that women can and will have you on toast when things go sour. THe law empowers them and humiliates you. If there are children you become even more vulnerable to put it mildly.

3. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

stacking pm's seem to be a mostly male orientated interest, dont see too many ladies here asking what would happen if the other way around?

4. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I spoke to a fella who gave me some advice he said "the day you get married if you have 2 million in assets and you marry someone who is $10,000.00 in debt you take the $10,000.00 off your 2 million which leaves $1,990,000.00, divide that by two and your assets are now $995,000.00 and she now has $995,000.00. Stay married and have two or three kids after a few years and she leaves you then have about $500,000.00, fight it out in court and you'll have $400,000.00 and pay her a large chunk of anything you earn for the next 15 or so years"
    I think people should have to attend some type of course before marriage so they know what the implications of marriage are. You talk to a lot of fellas before they get married and they say that can't happen.

There is a member her who I have spoken to and met who has had three houses. The first house he gave to his first wife, the second house he gave to his second wife and he is living in the third house with his third wife and he is in his 60's. I did not say anything to him when he told me but I was going to say what are the chances your third wife is going to get the third house :)

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

The ladies are too smart to be talking about their pms. :)

6. CFP

CFP New Member

Some wise things said by the member above, and no it wasn't me, I am about 30 years too young to have done that.
    If you keep dating the same kind of person and it keeps ending and you find someone who is in the same mould as these people, don't marry them.
    I met my partner who is the complete opposite of what I dated, I was skeptical at first despite us hitting it off from day dot.
    Its been a few years and I have come to the realization that this is perhaps why it is working.
    Needless to say, I am not in a hurry to get married anytime soon.
    It is always entertaining to keep a calender on the fridge and when she starts yelling add another week to the marriage proposal date,
    I believe we are at August 2019, I will have to check. I am joking of course (about the calender, not marriage).
    Make sure if you do take the plunge that you are marrying someone who has the same values, goals and future aspirations.
    It is no use marrying a school teacher who loves children and wants a tribe of her own if you can't stand gromits.
    Do not marry someone to fix a problem. My friend and his partner were having fertility problems and it was understandably causing a lot
    of stress in their relationship. He proposed to her because he thought this is what she wanted and it would give her something to look forward to,plus he did love her.

His heart was in the right place but it didn't fix the issues they had (she did end up getting pregnent) and those underlying issues led to their divorce
    a couple of years later. You can't fix a problem with a ring, well maybe short term but not in the long run.

If you do go through divorce and you think it is inevitable make sure that you have some money to be able to look after yourself.
    A good mate of my family got kicked out of his house by his cheating missus and was effectively homeless until my brother went and collected him.
    The police did not care where he went or ended up as long as he was away from her screaming and upsetting the neighbors.
    If the warning signs are there, prepare, prepare, prepare.

7. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Example:
    [​IMG]

8. Zlotych

Zlotych New Member

She won't care about your PM's. She will just think it's a geeky habit. She won't even know its worth anything.

9. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Note: the above may not apply if you're wife is from certain countries in the Asian-Pacific region north and north west of Australia, because then she's likely to have a spreadsheet that updates in real time as the spot changes and will remind you (also in real time) of the unrealized PnL.

Bonus level is if your wife has a low latency connection to an information clearing house of other husbands' stacks so she can note when you're stack falls below the value of the husbands of her peers.

10. CFP

CFP New Member

Holy crap SilverPete, PRIME EXAMPLE!
    HAHAHAHAHA.

11. CFP

CFP New Member

Same thing applies if your wife is from here but is an accountant :lol:

12. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What she doesn't know about, she can't go sniffing for.

13. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

two words.....boating accident

14. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

My girlfriend couldn't be less interested except to point out that I'm likely at any moment to bankrupt myself and that we'll never be able to afford to buy a house or travel or feed or clothe ourselves. Despite the market metals and coins have been good to me, there's no getting through though. I'm clearly an idiot you see.

Moral of the story: if you introduce the idea do it slowly. Some people don't care to know.

15. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

i CAN TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS.
    They get appraised by some dick that goes through a book and then marks up a $5 coin to a $25 coin because that is what the book say.
    After sifting through your entire stash is has amazingly more than QUADRUPLED in value due to some UNREALISTIC book values.
    You are then told the ex wants nothing to do with them and are told you can BUY OUT her share.
    Now you are left with all your stash but you have had to pay 4X or 5X or 6X its actual value.
    F N ridiculous

16. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

You sell your PMs low to pay for lawyers.

17. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

It may be that easy in your territory , but not always the case here in NZ.
    Sadly the law is still greatly skewed in favour of the female (slow changes occurring).
    Generally over here if a relationship fails and there are children involved the mother is going to get SOLE occupancy of the house until family court settles things.
    Should you not want to leave the family house then THE POLICE have the authority to issue with an order to leave the property.
    There does NOT have to be any domestic violence for this order to be issued and it is at the sole discretion of the attending officers.
    I have even talked to guys that have had issued orders against them because the ex partner is so upset by the break up that it is considered PSYCHOLOGICAL abuse for the man to be continued to stay at HIS OWN HOME>
    I thought i got screwed during my divorce (and i did) but to hear stories from other divorced guys that i have since met it put my problems in context.
    If i was to repeat some of the stories here i would most likely not be believed as they seem so unrealistic that they must be made up.
    But the stuff that can happen to men in divorce is incredible.
    The women over here can leave a relationship if they are sick of it and have a court order delivered to your work telling you the relationship is over and you are not to return to the family home.
    And if the woman has no cash on hand then that same afternoon they got the order the lawyer would help them get on the Domestic Purposes benefit .
    Should you own that home then they will even help the man out by getting an order garnishing his wages to continue paying the home mortgage.
    I have net guys that have had to quit their jobs and declare bankruptcy due to divorce and the massive financial damage it does to them.
    I recall reading a story recently about a chap that won a lottery 2-3 years after parting a relationship and the B#tch ex managed to win half of it in court.
    There were kids involved but the fact of the matter is the relationship had ended years before.

18. FlashInThePan

FlashInThePan Member

Something like this may make matters very clear should you split up:
    This is only my opinion and do your own due diligence.

1. Form agreement between the parties in the form of an affidavit (statement of truth)
    2. State that you wish to settle on equitable grounds alone should the marriage break down. (Based on who provided the capital and when)
    3. Have the affidavit notarised and filed into the public record
    4. If the affidavit is not rebutted, it becomes law

You may also as apart of 1. above provide an affidavit of status that indicates your standing in relation to Government for each party that would deal with the marriage agreement you have with government. (that is another subject)

You now have an agreement that is law and visible to government that no one can step in and start playing with.

A court of equity would be the venue to settle rather than the family court should it be required. (different jurisdiction)
    You would represent your self without the need for lawyers and file your paperwork into the court (certified copies of 1 & 3 above) where it will be required for the judge to act on.

There would be nothing for the judge to decide on as you have already formed agreement. A court order would enforce the agreement should any party not cooperate.

You do not want layers to get involved as they will start to generate controversy. It would be a hard task for them to circumvent that agreement unless there were serious matters that gave cause for other considerations. Fruits of the marriage (children) should be considered in 1. above also. Form a private agreement in relation to children later down the track as per steps 1 thru to 4 above.

You should become interested in handling your own matters and with some research be able to govern yourself accordingly.

Check out:
    Administrative Procedure
    Equitable Law
    Court procedures
    Jurisdiction
    Common Law

Cheers,
    Flash

19. FlashInThePan

FlashInThePan Member

This describes quite well the "industry" that has been developed over the years to drive the incapacitated male to the edge of the herd where he can be picked off. Even lawyers will admit the Family Court is not a nice place to have matters settled. The poisonous idea that simply because of gender, you are to be treated differently under statutes by the presumption that the male is the cause. This is contrary to the real Law. The family unit itself is a target as easy pickings.

20. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I would gladly give her half but she'd have to go diving to get it after that tragic boating accident I had. I am very clumsy in a boat (out of fear because I can't swim) and I knocked my whole stack into the water. Serves me right! Not sure why I took all 6 ounces of silver and my gold dos peso out in a boat with me?!? Live and learn. Next time when I take my sword collection and comic book collection out with me I'll be more careful!