What do you make of colorized Ag coins?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gatito Bandito, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Sure, but should big sparkly Panda eyes really be considered as "contamination"?

What would PCGS say?? ;)

EDIT: SP, work your magic & put that thing in a slab! :lol:

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Unless you have something intelligent to add to any of these discussions, I will take you for what you portray yourself to be...an insecure, overly emotional, trouble-maker seeking only to make unwarranted, inflammatory remarks at those who you happen to not agree with. That's doing anything but adding something valuable to a discussion.

You are delusional because you are claiming things that never happened. I had written that Snoopy's suggestion was absurd. I made no ad hominem attacks on this member at all. Just because you have a faith-based belief that I did something wrong, doesn't mean that I did. Your judgements are toothless because they are not objective or sound. No forum that I have ever conversed on (including SS) does a new member get a free pass to make any sort of claim or assertion without being challenged by others. Only in your little twisted mind, Aureus, might that happen....but not in the real world.

Please stop with your unwarranted harassment of me, Aureus. I, just like any other SS forum member have a right to make comments to any other member without you trying to play your bully role. I have seen plenty of new members get challenged or called out on their comments...and I too was one of those new members whom was challenged like I challenge others. The fact that you, an SS member considerably longer than I, never once intervened to tell those who challenged me as a newbie shows that your agenda is purely politically and personally motivated.

I will report you if you continue to harass me. Stop it already.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Missing from the standpoint of 'attacking' new members. Seriously, I think we need to have a birthday and grow-up. We are big boys and girls. We are not attacking the person, but challenging the words. I mean seriously, being a newbie doesn't given anyone the right to say whatever they want, whether true or not, and not be challenged, prodded or poked at. If we can't challenge each other on something said, why have this site? To tickle each others ears? Geesh.

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm, that reminds me that I have a ounce coloured pig.

And I'd probably pick up one or two more coloured Britannias if the premium wasn't so high to get them to Aus.

Also, from an old post:

[​IMG]

5. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I find a gilded PM lunar coin is perfect for a gift.

6. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Depends on the market you plan on selling to.

Stackers don't like them. Collectors (particularly European) think they are the bees knees.

Some of the Perth Mint designs have been good and have some great future potential (Opal Series, Mystical Dragon Series, Shell Series etc).

If you write off all coloured/contaminated coins then you will miss out on a chunk of future investment potential. Having said that - there is some real crap out there too - pig with lipstick I think is an appropriate term Spanner.

malachii

7. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

Well, I am very sorry to have stepped onto someones toes with my remarks and I do apologize to all who feel offended. I admit, English is not my first language. However I suggest mmissinglink to clam, relax and chill a bit. Aureus, who's obviously intelligent and understood my sarcasm, is not to be blamed for anything just because he sided with me. mmissinglink, I do not need to be schooled on what the definition of contamination is. ;)
    Perhaps let me rephrase my point of view a bit.

I understand Silver is, among others, precious, rare, difficult to obtain, (relatively spoken) is not really cheap and needs some process to be refined. Some nasty chemicals and some substantial energy and demanding electro-chemical process is involved in refining. So at the end of the day one obtains a 99.99% pure and precious element. Lets say it is been formed into a coin of some sort with some design. Now, at this point with the application of color, paint, ink, which to my knowledge, is neither precious nor noble nor in short supply, the former 99.99% pure material is now been CONTAMINATED with a foreign none precious material. (e.g. greasy fingerprint)
    A material that very well was just removed during the prior refining process. So why on earth would one want to reduce the purity again is beyond me. Because it looks good, sells well ? OK.

Gold Guilding a silver coin, adding rare gem stones at least adds preciousness to it. Paint not so much, at least in my books. Let alone some coloration look so ugly cheap that to me is a total turn off.

Anyway please, let us put this ranting to rest and move on. :)

8. barsenault

Hey snoopy, thanks for taking the time to explain a bit more what you mean. I know some may have understood what you mean't, but I honestly did not. What you say makes sense on some level, about taking something pure, and then adding paint that doesn't add value to the rare-ness of the silver. I totally get it. But paint by itself has no value, I agree. But added to a beautiful artistic picture, I personally think adds a lot of value...if done right, with the right taste and technology. Now that Panda above in my opinion is hideous...but someone else may think it is beautiful beyond measure. That beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is the design/designer/and color scheme that gives the silver artistic appeal, and thus the value that many people the world over pay for. again, if folks didn't see artistic appeal to colored coins, i highly doubt that the PM, Chinese Mints, and all mints around the world would create these highly sought after gems (not all of course). thems are my 2 cents. :) Thanks again for sharing your thougths. i know we can agree to disagree and continue the healthy debate...without anyone feeling attacked because someone doesn't agree with their position. That is highly childish. I'm not saying that you were the one complaining about being attacked.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Snoopy, your initial comment did not come across as sarcasm. In forum etiquette, if you want to make a comment that you wish others to interpret in a way that suggests sarcasm, it's best to use an emoticon or what some may refer to as a "smiley". Emoticons are actually tools for communication.

Would you have used an appropriate emoticon (smiley), it would have been clear that you were not confusing a design element with contamination and none of this would have occurred.

As for your assertion that color applied to a coin as a function of the design is a contaminate on the metal, that's as ludicrous as claiming that a tiger shape or a privy pressed into a coin is a contaminate on the metal.

You've made your case far worse by attempting to explain your belief that a design element is contamination. The fact that a design element adds or doesn't add value to a coin is a totally separate (and completely subjective) issue than actual contamination on a coin.

First of all, there's no evidence that fingerprints exist on coins prior to the refining process. Secondly, you are completely conflating one thing (a design element) with something totally separate (fingerprints). Fingerprints that are not intended to be a design element could rightfully be considered a contaminant, especially if they are "greasy" as you suggest. You are confusing again a design element with a contaminant. And now you are going to suggest to me that you were being sarcastic? Really? How so?

I urge you to cease replying to this particular discussion of contaminant vs design element. Just drop it, please...you've already had your chance to explain what you'd meant. Let it go, don't beat a dead horse. If you don't like color on coins you could have said just that and all would have been good. Other members have said that and they did not confuse a design element with a contaminant and therefore this particular debate never occurred before.

As for color applied to a coin, there are many coins in which the color applied actually increases the value of the coin. How do we know this? Because we can compare similar coins with no color applied to coins where color is applied and see that the one with the color applied gains a higher premium for certain markets. Previous comments in this thread are accompanied with images of coins where this is the case (not all coins perhaps, but certainly some) and here are just a couple of more examples:

[​IMG]

The scratches are on the plastic slab, not the coin

[​IMG]

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I took contaminant to mean...

I started off with a coin at 99.9% pure silver.

I add a layer of paint.

Now I have a coin which is 99.8% pure silver and 0.1% paint.

The overall coin is now less pure than it was to begin with, hence there is a "contaminant" in it, which happens to be paint in this case.

Fortunately this particular "contaminant" can be refined using acetone. As we saw in the 2000 Millennium Flag 50 cent piece "error" coin which was just this
    [​IMG]
    with the paint removed.

Edit:

Or thinking about it again

The original coin 100% = 1 oz 99.9 silver

The Painted Version 99% = 1 oz 99.9 silver
    1% = paint

Anyway, the volume of the silver doesn't change and the purity of the metal doesn't change but the silver no longer accounts for the total component of the coin, there is now another component taking up a percentage of the overall product.

So any statement that a painted coin is 99.9% pure silver would be dubious because it doesn't take into consideration the addition of the paint (what would that be anyway 99.899% silver?)

But if they said the silver was .999 then they are still correct.

Or something like that, I only have the 9-Coin Dragon Set and a couple of the other coloured Dragon offerings so it has never really come up.

11. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

barsenault

you are very reasonable on here. I may have ended up on the wrong foot and perhaps have not become friends with mmissinglink so I have the impression as he is very quick in beating around quickly at anyone who disagrees with his views or opinion so it seems to me.
    Perhaps it is that mmissinglink is sitting on a mountain of colorful tokens and can't stand it if someone does not re-enforce his views or does not appreciate them as much.
    I believe I have apologized enough and let it go here. I am new on the forum and did not immediately go to the full editor with full features, perhaps mmissinglink can give some slack.

12. barsenault

here is a sampling of my colored coins. Oops, I mean my contaminated silver coins. LOL.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6a3HMWjuhs[/youtube]

13. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't have anything against colored coins. Some are nice. Actually when I started collecting most of my coins were probably colored. Later on I sell almost all of them.

I prefer gilded coins much more than colored. And "naked" ones more than gilded. :D

This is probably still one of my fav colored coins:
    [​IMG]
    Source: http://www.lencia-tinamaze.si/index.asp?col=1020&sif=12100244&lang=en

14. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Here's my completely random collection.

[​IMG]

15. Rod

Rod Member

I read with interest many of the comments ref the coloured silver coins .
    My take on all this is if the only way to enhance your collection {stack} is to include coloured editions then I am all for it .The Perth Mint has produced supurb coloured Kookaburra coins and I must admit I think they are the best ever produced. But I am also disappointd that they are mostly produced as coin show specials .If you are not able to go to the shows you have to buy from a dealer or on e-bay. I admit that going to Berlin is possible from the UK but to go to Australia,America or China is certianly not an option .E-bay prices are so very high and stops many of us from obtaining the coins that are issued .Yes we can buy from a dealer of which they are super people to deal with but the mintages as low as they are make it so hard to be able to buy them. 500 or 1500 mintages will without doubt sell out as soon as they are made available .This shows that yes the coloured coins are in fact very very popular.
    Fellow stackers I suggest inovation has a rightful place in our collections and long may it continue .

16. Rod

Rod Member

I agree with your statement ref European`s thinking the coloured coins are the bee`s knees, is this reason the Perth Mint issues most of the coloured coins at the Money Fairs in Germany ? Yes I like the coloured ones a lot especialy the kookaburra`s so I recon the Perth Mint has got it right in respect of interest, sales and of course profit because after all the Mint have to justify what they produce and sales are part of the driving force.
    One wonders what the next issue will look like I can only hope they continue with the kookaburra series but perhaps mint a few more coloured ones than they do now .

17. SteelHand

SteelHand Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. Rod

Rod Member

19. SteelHand

Slight correction, the first coin show was the 2021 Koala (coloured), this coin show is the Emu. It will be interesting to see what the other coin shows release.

I found an Australian store (update, make that 2) that still has the Koala, not sure if they ship to the UK though. It can't hurt for you to contact them and see, that is if you are interested in the coloured Koala.

https://www.aussiecoinsandnotes.com...801996&utm_medium=email&utm_source=smartrmail

https://melbournecoinco.com/product...po-1oz-silver-unc?_pos=5&_sid=02a1e3a31&_ss=r

20. SteelHand

And if they stocked the Koala, they may stock any left over Emu's as well, possibly from next week