What do penalty rates mean to you?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Topherclaus, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Big supermarkets in the UK are open 24 hours a day for most days of the week, shutting early on Sundays for some reason. I don't think we got paid a lot more than the day staff, if anything.

I guess if you get rid of penalty rates your stores would be able to open 24 hours as well.

At least we won't have 15% surcharges.

I really used to enjoy the penalty rates when I was working in that field, needed the money so giving up a weekend and getting extra money in the bank was always a bonus, really helped out when I was younger and just getting on my feet.

Haven't had a job that needed me in at the weekends for a long time now, don't miss them.

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Penalty rates make a low paid crap occupation occasionally bearable and lift your average wage a bit.

3. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Worked at Safeway through high school and uni. Used to love Sundays even though it was only plus 50%. Also worked most public holidays because it was plus 150%, which was more enticing to me than a day off.

4. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Let's take it to the next level. Removing penalty rates from other areas is now on the cards.
    It will make it interesting if they remove weekend penalties from nursing. Anyone who has children will not even bother working those times. I can see problems manning shifts. It would not be a good outcome if you can shop 24 hours but the price you pay is a waiting time of 24 hours in casualty.

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It would just result in calls for more foreign workers.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Penalty rates drive up the price of the supply of goods therefore reducing prosperity in society, meaning we have to work longer or spend more of our income or lobby for pay rises in order to meet our needs and pay for the higher cost of labour.

7. tolly_67

"It would just result in calls for more foreign workers."

....and the wheels keep turning.

8. SpacePete

The end-game is to remove minimum wages altogether. It's a race to the bottom, but I think things will go totally tits-up before that ever eventuates.

9. SpacePete

Yup.

10. SpacePete

If we keep reducing the cost of labour, where does it end?

11. mmm....shiney!

You mean adopt a system where the value added by employing someone is truly reflected in the price of that labour to the employee, rather than set by a panel of individuals who bear no liability for their decisions?

Un-fucucking-likely. ;)

:lol:

12. SilverJay

SilverJay Member

Just a thought, it may have a different effect between some cases - businesses might distinguish themselves from one another by being able to "graciously" continue paying a from of penalty rates as a reward to its workers in tougher staffed time. Perhaps a free-market effect if you will - offering something that they already cater for in their payroll, and looking like saints doing so in this new frontier?

13. tolly_67

Think 7-11, such a low 'true' value was placed on their employees. Unfortunately the only thing reflected in the pay rate was the greed of the owners.

14. SpacePete

The problem is that power becomes concentrated to the detriment of such a system. Yes, there is an ideal, but the nature of human drives makes that very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve in practice.

15. mmm....shiney!

Good question. I could answer this by asking the antithetical question, What would happen if we keep raising wages?

If we keep reducing the cost of labour we 1. reduce the cost of goods consumed, therefore enabling consumers to allocate their scarce resources to meeting other needs, which 2. results in new employment opportunities as entrepreneurs seek to profit by supplying new goods to the market meaning consumers have greater access to a wider variety of goods, much of which gets cheaper and cheaper to produce and hence, cheaper to buy. :)

16. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

$25 an hour may or may not be deemed by some as "low paid" for mopping, dusting etc.
    With penalty rates this is over $45 on Sundays and over $56 on public holidays....thats hardly low paid for menial tasks.

Penalty rates are something people feel ENTITLED to and have no reflection on the actual services provided.
    They merely drive up costs of business owners.
    Dont like your "low paid crap occupation"? No one made you sign a contract at gunpoint so be responsible for ones self and do something about changing that.

17. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Replace "penalty rates" with "high house prices" and the argument works even better.

18. SpacePete

Well, I don't have any answers, and even if I did intuit an ultimate solution that would lead us to economic nirvana, I'd probably end up nailed to a cross long before it become a reality.

Realistically, we'll probably keep f*cking things up.

19. mmm....shiney!

Yes.

The only "ideal" is a free market where individuals have the opportunity to engage in voluntary economic behaviour or not at all. Competition between suppliers will provide the best protection from unscrupulous practices.

20. mmm....shiney!

You can substitute central planning strategies of any description and it would fit the criteria.