what detector should i get low budget

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by 8-Balls, Mar 18, 2013.

1. 8-Balls

8-Balls Member Silver Stacker

im after a low budget but decent ( yes it does exist ) detector any one got anything that comes to mind even second hand i want it for coins, maybe gold aswell ect

id be using it at parks, creeks etc but may go to a gold field kinda place want an all rounder so to speak so if any can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

cheers 8-balls

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Go for the most expensive one you can get, it will pay for itself on its first outing with all the gold nuggets you find.

That's what I have told my wife anyway. I would be interested in recommendations as well but I like the idea of borrowing one for a trial first.

4. 8-Balls

I use to have a toy one when I was a kid that found coins and loved doin it my budget would be about $350 I didnt even see that thread house ill have a look thanks

5. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

A couple of considerations: All Metal Detectors will detect gold but it really comes down to the size it will pick up on and at what depth. If you are going to be detecting creeks you might want to look at something with a submersible searchcoil at a minimum, a fully submersible detector would be recommended but not 100% necessary.

The difference between a gold and coin detector will vary, so you're not going to find a single machine that does both extremely well. For example the ground composition commonly found in gold bearing areas can be quite mineralised and will send most coin and relic detectors crazy. For these areas you will need something that can handle the mineralisation such as a PI detector, these are generally not cheap though. If you are looking to buy a "budget" detector you will most likely be buying a VLF machine which is an older but proven technology (as is PI).

With the above in mind and without knowing your exact budget I recommend a Garrett Ace 250, these cost around $300 (brand new), if you are buying second hand you might be able to get something a little better but for the price you can't go past it. The Ace 250 discriminates very well and has decent depth penetration, these are a popular choice for coin shooters on a budget and I know guys how own top end detectors still using these as a primary machine when coin and relic detecting.

Just don't by one of those GC / Snoop Finder detectors on Ebay, you will be very disappointed if you do.

P.S. Dont expect to pay for the detector on your first outing as suggested, it's not going to happen ;p

Cheers,
    Squiggles

6. 8-Balls

I was looking at the Ace 250 squiggles is the 350 an better option or is there just a price upgrade

7. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

It's the next model up so its evendentally a better option than the 250. I would suggest the EURO Ace as its configured for the International market where the Ace 350 is optimised for US conditions. Either way they'll both work but the EURO Ace is a better option IMO.

Check this out
    [​IMG]

8. bird1dog

bird1dog New Member

So guys,

Who is the best provider of Detectors in Australia? I myself are looking at doing a bit of prospecting around the Riverenar district.