What Chance Military Takeover in Greece?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by errol43, Jun 3, 2012.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

I have the feeling that if a left wing government is elected in Greece and they decide to abandon the euro, then a military takeover may be on the cards.

Anyone else have the same thoughts?

Regards Errol 43

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

A mitary coup would happen if leaving the euro resulted in anarchy or civil war type fighting amongst left/right factions.

The junta from 67-74 is fresh in many peoples minds and for Greece to go back to those days would be a big step backwards.

In a country like Greece expect the unexpected.

3. Prior

Prior Member Silver Stacker

anarchy, n. (16c) 1. Absence of government; lawlessness. 2. A sociopolitical theory holding that the only legitimate form of government is one under which individuals govern themselves voluntarily, free from any collective power structure enforcing compliance with social order. anarchic, adj.

Blacks Law Dict series 9

With the current governments, anarchy would be a better option. Communities would become more powerful and common law would prevail.

As for Greece, don't care. They created the problem they are in. They have to sort it out themselves...

4. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

You know, Greece the country, made up of the mums, dads, children, educators, workers, private business owners, pensioners, etc. have about as much responsibility for the financial state of the Greek economy as I do for the stupidity of Howard, Kevin07, Gillard or whoever comes next. The idea that the general population is responsible for the cronyism, corruption and stupid decisions politicians make to appease the powers they need to appease is as ridiculous as saying the German Jews deserved Hitler, or the Palestinians deserve Israel, or the Iraqis deserve Blackwater, or Australians deserve a Carbon Tax.

Modern democracy neither shares responsibility for decision making with the population at large nor responsibility for the effects of that decision making. While the first is in the interests of the corrupt, power hungry leaders who compete for positions of power over the making of decisions, those same people do not want to stand up and be responsible for the negative impacts of their decisions, they simply walk away from their office and leave the mess behind them, retiring on a fat pension to boot, compounding the misery they have caused. But just because they do that, doesn't mean the population should be condemned.

Personally I empathise with the people of Greece, entrapped as they are by the power structures and corruption that have abused them and the trust they placed in those of authority. But they do need to sort it out and I hope they can break the shackles of their entrapment as Iceland has done.

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

had not considered this Errol, food for thought?

6. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do we have an Greek posters, who could enlighten us to the machinations of what is happening and what is likely to transpire?

7. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

We have a couple of Greek posters on here based in Greece.

I myself have been traveling to Greece for the last decade and I have seen many changes in my travels from 2001 to now.

I have many friends and family who keep me updated on a weekly basis with what is going on.

Very big political divide at the moment.

The talk of a coup has been on peoples minds for a while and many think it could happen.