What are the most common reasons people get banned?

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by EasyCollective, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I totally forget which one it was. It was at the end of January and in the Markets & Economies. I can't see it so maybe it was deleted (or was cleaned really well). His old sparring partner reno may remember the last controversy they had.

2. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

i'm also curious ...

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Sorry that is incorrect - the user was banned. End of story. As liberal an administrator I may be, a publicly visible thread discussing the specific reasons behind the departure of a former member is not going to stick around for long.

No-one has ever been banned for discussing firearms on the forum, however for good reasons in Australia it is strongly discouraged.

Back to the original question, the top reasons for banning are spamming (both SEO and occasionally affiliate spam), having the first name Mach, running shill accounts (particularly to abuse the feedback mechanism, but also to get around ban restricitons), threatening to sue the forum or its members for "defamation" (that's led to a few accounts being canned), or threatening another member with physical harm (that's also led to a few - why people think it's fine to make a written threat about harming someone's children because one of their posts was deleted is disturbing). There's been maybe two cases where trading conduct has led to a ban, and a similarly small number of bans for absolutely disruptive behaviour that reached even my limit.

The defamation one is a pet peeve - it's been used a number of times by members as a way to try and shut down and win an online argument. I have no patience for people that make legal threats to end a discussion between private parties on an online forum. Many long-term members are also aware that there is a business blacklisted on here for using similar threats to get threads removed about their products and services (the absolutely wrong way to go about increasing market share - threaten to sue the biggest social media site for your product in your market). There's only been a handful of genuine defamatory cases where the aggrieved party has (correctly) contacted me as the administrator raising their concerns with content posted on the forum - 90% of complaints are an abuse of the process or a bullying tactic.

Usually bans are well precedented with privately communicated warnings regarding online conduct, followed by temporary suspensions, followed by a permanent ban. Each case is handled separately.

All up - less than 10 "long term" members would have received a permanent ban in the almost four years of operation of the forum. Lost count of the thousands of spammers - there's usually a few a day that get the boot for that, usually accounts set up for SEO.

4. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's food for thought! ;)

5. goldpelican

Most members get the reference. He popped back up a few weeks ago. He big strong man - my delete button stronger! The funniest one was when he said he had contacted the FBI because I was stopping him from free speech.

6. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

7. lucky luke

Mach ine?
    Mach ete?
    Mach force?
    Mach o?
    Mach iavelli?
    Mach_o Mach_ievelli? :lol:

8. bordsilver

Holy crap. I totally misunderstood what had happened there but noted that various messages back and forth had failed to resolve things. Thanks for clearing that up.

9. bordsilver

If this thread falls into that category, can you please clean (maybe keep everything to post 20'ish plus yours for example) rather than delete as the original question was valid?

10. lucky luke

Absolutely agree. I especially would like to see post #34 stand for perpetuity. ;)

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

bwuhahahahaha oh sides do not split . :lol:

12. renovator

Yeah its been peaceful around there lately :) No guessing who the problem was.

I will say that i wasnt auspms biggest fan because of the constant regurgitation of the same shite over & over again . I was saying the other day to another member in a PM that i do miss his tourette like outbursts of swearing & abuse. :lol: If he could control himself im sure he would still be here .He was a highly educated individual that just didnt have enough commonsense to put his intelligence into action for the better of himself & his family. A bit of a shame really he had some good input .

13. lucky luke

Yes, it's all very funny (sarcasm button missing). Can't you take GP's hint and leave off any further discussion of this member getting? Are you determined to have this thread locked and deleted so another reference to your involvement "disappears"? That was a rhetorical question and doesn't need your explicit answer. You've already ensured it disappears.

The writing is on the wall with this thread already so I'll put my two bobs worth in while the thread is alive. The crux of the "problem" was that you continually trolled AUSPM looking for his emotional reactions. Your stickwaving at the barking dog is no secret. AUSPM, wanting to be taken seriously, would respond to your trolling baits, and then you would up the baiting highbar by telling AUSPM that his shortcomings were to the detriment of his family (as evidenced by the above post as well as other posts in other "disappeared" threads). Any wonder he occasionally lost the plot and called an ace an ace and a spade a spade with you. For you to repeatedly take the moral highground when-ever AUSPM leaves (suspended, voluntarily leaving, banning....... all the same result) is the pitiful bit. So too is sinking the boot into the bloke when he has no avenue of reply. Nice....

14. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Agree with LL .. truely classy move there with that post :rolleyes:.

15. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Did you know that Auspm was a street kid?

Time will prove if he was right about RE!

I felt he was under constant pressure to defend his point of view.

Initially, he certainly helped a lot of stackers get the right information!

Many times in the early days he was the life of SS, posting at least 30 times a day. IMO Most of the stackers on this site then were learners in the silver game and he shared the info he found with one and all.

Obviously he done some bad things on SS but he did many good things as well.

Nothing to hear about Auspm any more.

LETS MOVE ON

Regards Errol 43

16. renovator

Yes dad whatever you say .:lol: ^^^^^

How can you take somebody that hasnt got a clue about real life & making money seriously on a PM/investment forum ?. Its not my fault he couldnt handle the cold hard facts preferring to live in a dreamworld of his own creation/mind .

Try not to get carried away & start a fight luke im entitled to my opinion just as you are . . Have a nice day

17. lucky luke

If you swallowed a dose of your own medicine on that one, auspm would still be around and this thread wouldn't be going down the path it is.

18. goldpelican

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.