WestPac cheif says 2015 economy should grow.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Dec 12, 2014.

1. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

2. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Big four: jobs go as profits surge

Profits at Australia's largest banks may have swelled to a record $27.4 billion this year, but staff numbers at three of the big four are heading in the other direction.

Westpac, NAB and ANZ have cut more than 1900 full-time jobs between them in the past year, taking employee numbers at the big four to 170,200, figures from the banks' results show.

The cuts have been driven by a push to lift productivity and cut costs in response to soft revenue growth, including moves by Westpac, NAB and ANZ to replace some local staff with lower-paid workers overseas. Commonwealth Bank was the only lender to expand its employee ranks over the financial year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/big-four-jobs-go-as-profits-surge-20131105-2wzhb.html#ixzz3LkXHcgWx

That works out to $75 million dollars profit per day.

Good news for the shareholders? The biggest shareholders like HSBC CUSTODY NOMINEES (AUSTRALIA) LIMITED. J P MORGAN NOMINEES AUSTRALIA LIMITED. CITICORP NOMINEES PTY LIMITED. They are not ordinary Aussie mum and dad investors ....

3. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Bloody hell I did'nt know that was happening....Fricken Banks they make me sick!

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Big snip of charts and rationale as to why, in essence, sacking workers to save costs and giving CEO's the savings, to increase profits has a negative effect. This encapsulates it:

Conclusions

5. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

So the economy is all dependent on wether interest rates go lower or higher it .....Would'nt have thought a couple of 0.25% drops or increases would make so much difference but the economy is very fragile at the moment it seems and sensitive to interest rates. I think the RBA will lower rates to keep the property market alive.

6. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cutting rates further would be a move of extreme desperation that everyone knows doesn't work, hasn't worked, and makes things even worse. It will prop up inefficient companies and could lead to a property mega-bubble.

Quoting myself from another thread: