Welfare in Australia to be cut?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by errol43, Apr 18, 2012.

1. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LOL and the starving would very soon gain the means to eat. You (and I) probably wouldn't like it though. I see a portion of those on welfare (only a portion I'd like to emphasise) who would very quickly gain access to the means, and then very quickly utilise them.

Are you ready for an increase in home invasions at night (when you are in bed in your jocks) by a number of blokes armed with anything ugly they can pick up (eg a 3 foot piece of angle iron) ready to not only raid your fridge, but also steal anything else worth grabbing? Oh, and I don't think you could assume that your safety would be guarenteed through your compliance. Witnesses are always a problem, particularly for the desperate who may not have the intelligence to think beyond the next 30 seconds.

Yes, W&F. You make a very valid point. :) (a little different to your normal posts which are designed merely to be contentious and/or raise your posting count). :D

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Yes that would be a consequence, but to think that the road we are on now will lead to a different outcome is wrong. In the end a welfare state will take you to the same destination when the "other people's money" runs out. So it is really just a case of when and not if. I prefer to make my own choices and not have them made for me by the passage of time.

3. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

I know very well people will resort to crime before living off crown land. Got to feed iphone addiction.
    There is no way the average (both sexes) will sit on the same 'couch' and die without desperate measures.

I also agree there are plenty whom get handouts whilst drug dealing. There needs to be a balance, but stopping welfare is not that.

Let's first start with banning all movies, games, radio, television and newspapers, since it is the mentioned that is part responsible for feeding ideas into all of us.
    Next, let's ban parents from raising children.
    Follow that up with banning peers from contacting each other, as it is peer pressure that is partly responsible for actions.

Stuff it, might as well turn Australia into a Police State - solves all problems.

4. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Also ban alcohol and prescription medication.

5. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Wow you good at banning stuff... ever thought of a job in the greens party :p

6. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Just because one politician talks about it doesn't mean it is going to happen. What will happen to govt's that don't give people what they want? Especially with only a 3-year election cycle. There might be token cuts but I think they are more likely to borrow or print than cut to any great degree.

Unless human beings in Australia are different from those in the rest of the world.

7. Prior

Prior Member Silver Stacker

Let me clarify my statement,

Non productive = Able bodied person choosing not to produce or be contributing to society in some form.

Persons that are indeed unable to produce or contribute because of genuine reasons are exempt from my statement.

Just my opinion, I have seen the ugly side of welfare and a lot of people truly do not deserve it.

8. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What a load of crap, I am in Europe right now. The people are so cunning here in Italy. They can't even list their food prices properly and try every possible way to rip people off (seat charge, service charge etc). For all I know after I see this place, I couldn't care less what happens. The faster the EU falls apart the better.

Why should my Aussies taxes pay for their lazy lifestyle and their unwillingness to work. The Labor party is doomed next year's election. Didn't Gillard donate some funds to the UN or IMF already?

Slam

9. jackbrown

jackbrown New Member

That is how the system works I am afraid. Even in ancient rome farmers were driven off the land by ever increasing taxes and became freeloaders on free bread in the city. Just as goverment can do nothing but grow bigger the welfare system muzt continue to grow and grow. It is impossible to cancel the dole now, there would be anarchy and mass social destruction. The solution to it is plain. Tax and tax anyone with an income and anyone with an asset. Take from the rich to feed the poor and in the end you have only poor.
    And those with hoards of pm's of course.

10. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

You Aussies have always been someone else's bitch. Used to be the British when we did things like conning you into running into machine guns in WW1. Now it's the yanks and the IMF. Soon enough, it'll be China telling you what to do.

:)

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What's going on ,I actually agree with you 100% :rolleyes:
    :D

12. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

I thought we were already there? :|

13. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't know about anyone else but I'd be very happy to see more politicians talking about ways to spend our money more efficiently even if...no, especially if it involves less bribes going to the electorate (including me).

We spend so much money on providing welfare to people who don't need it (boo-f***ing-hoo to all those "Aussie battlers" earning $120k a year) while there are so many areas like mental health, dental health, aged care, public transport, the environment and technological innovation that are so grossly under-funded it's not funny.

I don't need help from the government right now, so it's wasteful to give me any. I'd rather see people who genuinely need help receive it and if I'm ever unlucky enough to be in their shoes one day then I'll be very grateful to receive some too but for the moment I'm fine, thank for asking.

If the Liberal party want to have a discussion about getting rid of all the middle class welfare that was introduced by...the Liberal party...they're more than welcome to as far as I'm concerned.

14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Labor is about to put most Australian houses on welfare as a bribe to soften the financial distruction of the Rothschild/General Electric/Goldman Sachs Carbon Tax.

15. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you'll find the first people hit will be those with a PPOR AND an 'investment' property. The end of negative gearing is just waiting for the right crisis to be put in place. It 'only' affects about 100,000 taxpayers so not much electoral fallout, and then they start on the rest.
    Next up will be CGT. They'll gradually put the screws on any 'remainder' of the estate.
    At the moment in my scheme my potential spouse would get 75% of my annual super pension until he dies. I wouldn't expect that to hold up. As soon as I die I'll bet my remains go to the ovens and my assets go to the government.

16. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

I would think the first thing we should be looking at cutting is the pollies super entitlements. The hard Labour mob reckon if you have over $500,000 you or your employer shouldn't be allowed to put more than $25,000 tax deductable contributions. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

At the moment pollies can access their super when they leave Parliment, chop that out.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

17. Ilikemetals

Ilikemetals Member

I'm scared. Things are getting out of control!!

18. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Well the states have started making public service cuts, I guess it is only fair the rest of us cop some as well.

[​IMG]

19. Guest

Guest Guest

The dole should be taken away from lazy hippies who choose not to work because they think the world owes them a living.

20. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

There are jobs, maybe just not the jobs those people collecting benefits want.

Q: What are the jobs?
    A1: For starters, we can have people scrubbing off every piece of graffiti in Australia.
    A2: Cleaning all garbage out of our rivers & harbours. People can receive simple scuba training.
    A3: Pulling weeds from the whole of Australia.

But their reply? Stuff you buddy, I'm not doing that I don't have to... nah nah, nah, nah nah :lol: