Welfare group identifies $6billion in possible theft

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by AngloSaxon, Mar 13, 2013.

1. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Sorry, in the SMH yesterday they wrote this as: "Welfare group identifies $6billion in possible cuts". Meaning cuts to allowable tax deductions and an offset that previous governments have graciously decided we can use to slightly lower our oppression. Sorry, lower our tax. The online version is shorter than the paper version.

SMH: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...sible-cuts-20130311-2fwe4.html?skin=text-only

So just like Senator Cameron in the other recent thread looking to steal more from us to spend on 'welfare' we have the proponents of welfare looking at more ways to steal our money back from us.

Left out of this online version also was the following ideas of things to 'cut':

* Scrapping deductions for self education "could save $300million a year"

And the 20% medical costs tax offset being described as a "tax break" - what the hell does that mean?

The whole article states this is all aimed at taking money from higher incomes. Well, sorry, I'm on an average income and in my life have used the self education deduction, medical expenses tax offset, health rebate for extras cover, and I plan on using the super treatment described and trusts to raise my savings for retirement. So removing this hursts me, the common man.

And what really gets my goat is what I highlighted in bold. Even more incentive for slouches to never go to work! Because the dole will just be raised to the level of those sucker go getters who actually work for our society!

It makes the blood boil.

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

If this keeps up, you will see the current slow trickle of educated, well-paid professionals out of Australia and into Asia, turn into a torrent

Mark my words

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interestingly some research a while back (sorry no link) showed that taxpayers are happy to pay tax when they see positive returns for the tax they pay (e.g. potholes fixed, parks maintained etc) and were prepared to pay tax for 'activities' that they believe should be supported (e.g. support the poor).

What makes them oppose tax and tax increases is seeing their tax dollars wasted on things that have no such observable 'good' (e.g. bribes for political support etc).

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As well as increased welfare payments for the pot-smoking, dole-bludging, serial-breeders that live down the road.

5. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

It's all a bunch of crap, except for this one:
    Which i think should be scrapped to make it equitable. But what the Govt do with the 'savings' is another matter.

The whole taxation system is a mess and a joke. The Henry Review proved that the Govt doesn't want to reform it either.

6. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

The wage growth of the mining sector perhaps? Or just indexed to which ever industry has the highest wage growth at the time. It's only fair after all... :O