Wedge Tailed Eagle bullion coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Hellcat6, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Looks like the PM Wedge Tailed Eagle bullion coin is coming. Got an email from Govmint.com on the release, they seem to get all versions first and as usual seem to send them all out for grading. All the bullion versions in their ad are slabbed. Anyone know more about these, how many this year, will it be released every year? The ad indicates that it will be an annual release. Like the earlier high relief and proof versions, this is a very nice looking coin!

2. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

Very interesting, does anyone have any more info on this?

3. lostwords

lostwords New Member

I was trying to find the mintage info and there were none given

4. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

I've already asked. For these bullion version, no info on mintage will be given until 2015. And I believe govmint is the exclusive distributor of these. I'm pretty sure they'll be available in Aus sooner or later. If anyone outside of the US wants one of these, I can help you get it and reshipped to your country.

5. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

lol! Ship em all back to Australia! It's what happens with the Stock Horse as well :p

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2015 Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle - Silver Bullion Coin

The design on the 2015 Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle (1oz) silver bullion coin, consists of a representation of a wedge-tailed eagle landing on a tree stump superimposed on a circle. The coin includes the following inscriptions 'AUSTRALIAN WEDGE-TAILED EAGLE', '2015 1oz 999 SILVER', and the initials of the designer John Mercante 'JM'.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014L00637/Explanatory Statement/Text

7. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

For a couple of weeks, it was also cheaper for Australians to buy the new crocs from the US and have it reshipped back to Aus, compared to buying the crocs locally.

excuse the ignorance, but we don't have comlaw in the US, so what exactly is that? Is that basically a statement from the Aus government saying which coins are legal tender? I've seen references to comlaw links a few times, but never understood what the significance is.

Any coin that appears on comlaw, is that a guarantee that the coin will be minted? I see some 5oz gold wedge tail eagle coins on there, but I'm skeptical if those will actually be minted.

8. paruwka

paruwka Active Member

Comlaw.gov.au is an Aust federal gov website holding a complete and current collection of Aust legislation. No guarantee a coin would be minted (government normally reserves the right in this type of activity not to be bound by its previous decisions) but, if a coin is minted comlaw describes the coin's parameters.

9. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Thank you paruwka. If it's listed Comlaw but doesn't necessarily have to be minted, then I'm assuming the opposite is also true? The 2014 eagle Bullion is not listed on there, but obviously is has already been minted. It looks like this same coin will be a repeat next year, rather than a different 2015 eagle design.

And your first post, so welcome to the forum :)

10. paruwka

paruwka Active Member

The relevant determination (F2013L01583) spans Sept 2015 - Feb 2014, the 'explanatory statement' section only mentions proof and high relief versions. Perhaps bullion versions of proofs are covered in the Currency Act 1965 or some other enabling legislation? I agree the design is likely to remain the same.

Thank you for the welcome.

11. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I'm only seeing these as slabbed from govmint. Anywhere to buy them raw?

12. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

13. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I also would like to find these to stack. Only thing I see is Govmint and all slabbed.

14. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

If you don't care that they've already been picked through, then just buy 20x GEM slabbed ones and crack it open to put it capsules/tubes.

Btw, raw ungraded ones were available from govmint several months ago for $30. I know because I bought one. It was not available for public purchase, that's why no one knew about it. Now, they sent their whole inventory of ungraded ones to PCGS to get slabbed.

15. db23

db23 Member

Better to wait and see if some of the Perth Distributors in Europe get these and sell raw.

16. crutch024

crutch024 Member

The pictures I have seen on the Govmint website say this coin is from 2014.......

17. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Seen it reported that the mintage is 50,000 and it's exclusive to Ainslie Bullion in Australia and GovMint everywhere else. Sadly the latter seems to be slabbing everything, but this whole exclusivity thing does my head in anyway.
    Supposed to be an ongoing yearly thing with the design not changing.

18. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Where did you get this info? I was under the impression that it's minted to demand, but we won't know exact numbers until next year when it's done. And how do you know Ainslie Bullion is exclusive for Aus? I hope we can get these directly from Perth Mint in a few months, just like how the proof and high relief version played out.

But seeing where we are in the year, I don't expect there to be very many of these being minted. At this time, Perth is most likely preparing for 2015 Goat and kooks in a few months for September release. Hopefully someone that has direct contact with PM can ask them. These eagles are so mysterious since the beginning of the year.

19. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

20. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Mintage is 300,000 according to ArgentAgent47 who got an allocation of 250