Weather

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by southerncross, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

mum and dads view now

[​IMG]

2. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Haha yes we did get around 60 mm on Saturday evening. In the space of about half an hour - torrential downpour which caused quite a bit of damage (some suburbs only just got power back yesterday) - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-28/canberra-storms-keeps-emergency-crews-busy/4486822

Nothing compared to up north obviously, but this is an area that doesn't normally get that intensity of rain (we'll normally get 60 mm over 2-3 days, not in 30 minutes). Still it should green things up a bit! Some pics on the radar of it coming in that I saved:

[​IMG][​IMG]

As an avid weather watcher I have to say that, while 'red'-cored thunderstorms on the BoM radar aren't unusual around here, it's rare to get one with orange/red over such a wide area at the same time. Especially in that first image up towards Murrumbateman, that's very nasty looking. Reminds me of the 2007 supercell. Luckily this one didn't have any hail, just an arseload of rain.

3. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

rain has stopped and the sun has come out. feels pretty humid atm though, so i dare say we're gonna get a storm later today.

4. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Food will be the next major obstacle for Bundaberg residents.. At Hinkler place shopping center, both Coles and Woolworths are flooded nearly to the ceiling, K mart the same, and of course all the small center shops.

Two or three other major food outlets are also under.. IGA in North Bundy, up to the roof.

Even centrelink in the city may be under.

The panic buying started on Thursday of last week. People who were out of the flood in 2011 bought up big, well remembering how long it took for food supplies to get back to normal..This time a lot of these supplies have been lost so the situation will become more desperate for many.

It is interesting to see the items on the shelves in the supermarket that are stripped bare so quickly once the sheep have decided to graze.

The stories that have emerged from previous disasters are certainly true!

Canned goods, toilet paper, milk(especially long life), bread, candles and batteries are gone in a flash.

So SS members don't forget to stack a little these items along with your silver. Cash is king at the moment when the ATM'S run out of money. No electricity, no electronic money!

Here in the Bundy bears lair, he has prepared for the winter ahead and will see out this disaster and may even help others!

Regards Errol 43

5. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

And here I am on the Northside wondering what all the commotion is about!

Very glad though, no power loss, no phone loss - just felt like a rainy weekend to me.

Unfortunately, this kind of weather makes it REALLY hard to get work done.... :(

7. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Urrgghhh 38.4 here at the moment :(

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nothing changed here - still flooded in, still no power, and beer not so cold now. :mad:

9. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Best thing I ever did was buy a generator. Never lost power since.

10. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's brutal

11. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A really nice animation of Ossies path down the East Coast of Australia

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40eZmrNGjA[/youtube]

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Cheers sx, he followed the Bruce Hwy down the coast, and of course, once he got south of Rocky, he got stuck at all those fucking roadworks and just dumped it down.

13. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Today in Bundaberg, I got tangled up in the biggest traffic jam that you could ever imagine.. 3 hours to go 500m, then half an hour to get across the bridge.

I will give Bundaberg a miss for at least another 10days or so.

Most drivers were well behaved but no one and I mean no one obeyed the traffic rules..Blocked intersections where there was traffic lights and also roundabouts..

To see the damage passing through North Bundaberg was something that I will never forget..Not just backwater rising into homes but complete destruction by the power of water.

Rubbish piles 3m high and 100m long were all over the place..Sand and mud from the river scattered everywhere.. Power poles down everywhere..

It was not only the mud army that was required to clean up the mess but a rubbish army as well..

You can not get the feel of what happened on Video/TV until you see what the full force of water can do at speed.

Regards Errol43

14. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hope you guys are doing okay!