Wealth advice from a start-up millionaire

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by Clawhammer, Apr 9, 2013.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I always like the response of (supposedly) Henry Ford when asked the secret of his success.

He said " I owe all I have to some advice my father gave me: Here's a million dollars, don't lose it"

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

This advise is all pretty much common sense.

I disagree with the "Do nothing with the money for six months"

To me this is a waste of 6 months when you could be getting a return. I have already thought of what would happen if I won a few million. I would spend most of it on separate properties that I could rent out, and also a small property to live in. If you had 2million I property and were making a 5% return, that is 100k before expenses and taxes. Hardly super rich.

Most people who win the lottery or something end up within a couple of years as rich (or as poor) as they were before they won, as they have no grasp of money. They assume they are rich, as 2million seems like a lot, but waste most of it on expensive cars, holidays, boats etc. Things that they would not have bought if they were on a 100k salary a year.

Invest it wisely and live only off the income not the capital.