We Got totally cleaned out whilst away O/S

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Kawa, Jan 11, 2015.

1. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I'd say that this is still too much. I personally don't keep any at home.. straight to the remote vault... If I need to go in/out twice a day, then I still do so... besides, I have paid for their safe-keeping...

2. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have there been any reported holdups?

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The problem being most neighbours couldn't give a damn.

There's going to be folk who have a safe or will buy one, the trick is to prevent the use of tools.

If the attacker can't get leverage or swing a sledge hammer the attack will be slowed down so...if folk do have a safe, make sure it's in a confined space.

Add additional counter-measures to slow down the attack.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

One known, about 2 years ago. Significant sized eBay F2F trade - a member on here was the victim. They do not wish to identify themselves or discuss it.

5. Barrye

Barrye Member

Guardian Vaults are in Sydney and Melbourne. Boxes start at $240/year.

6. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

F&#K you can never be to careful :-(...

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

7. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

The fella at 3:20 looks like Kevin Rudd .... they should have let the Treasurer have a go instead ....

8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

That was easy? Really?
    10's of minutes with the right heavy duty tools with the safe in a wide open and optimum position. Those techniques might not work at all in confined environment.
    That ain't easy at all, especially if your alarm was set off and monitored security is on the way.

9. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That was a hell of a lot easier than I thought it would have been, I thought it would take hours to get into a safe. It offers bugger all protection in my opinion. If you buried stuff in a 6 foot deep hole it would take ages to dig up unless you had a backhoe, a hole in the ground would offer more protection for valuables.

10. SilverDJ

It would if it was installed in a confided space. The people had the (big) advantage of being able to swing hammers and get access to any side and angle they wanted, that's why it was that quick.

A top quality safe anchored down offers plenty of protection against the casual opportunistic thief.
    Against someone who knows the safe is there and comes prepared, then yes, they can get into them. But if you have a properly installed alarm with back to base monitoring then it's good odds they won't be able to break into a well installed safe in the time it takes for the security company to arrive.

IIRC all of the QLD jobs have either been poor quality safes and/or a non-existing or not properly outfitted alarms.
    In this latest case, it sounds like back-to-base monitoring was not redundant enough (phone lines cut, no GSM option).
    A properly designed and installed alarm system is next to impossible to defeat before it can report in.

Not if they know where it is.
    You can dig for hours in almost complete silence in someones backyard. They could do it while you sleep.

11. SilverDJ

That's the problem with physical silver. Any decently valuable qty is probably going to cost a lot of money to store, because space=cost. Not only that, but you have to pay hefty postage charges too.
    That's why I stick with unallocated and allocated stuff, none of those worries or costs, and secure storage & insurance built into the cost already. Of course you can't just open up your safe and fondle your loot.
    What are people paying to store their silver?.

12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wouldn't they just use a mobile phone jamming device?

13. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Have decided to go and put some rounds away tomorrow at the range .

14. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Mate you need to be aware that GP needs to vet any of these matters.At present this site has the attention of the Queensland Police and there are currently police who are members now
    on here.My offer to GP is out of respect to the site and the other members.

It is only a mater of time till these thieves slip up.I will send some pics through to GP tomorrow and he can post up if he decides.

I have confidence in the Qld Police and they have done all I could ask to date.

The Police also want results and I think it's only a matter of time.

I also think this is a great site and members should carry on as usual however learn from my mistakes.

15. cashgoldsilver

cashgoldsilver New Member

Like everyone else here I really really feel for you Kawa - but announcing that the QLD Police are now "members" doing an official investigation on this forum would only make any purp go to ground wouldn't you think,just saying.

I hope this works out for you.

Sorry for your loss.

CGS :(

16. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's good to see you taking all this in your stride Kawa, a lot of people would be curled up in a fetal position sucking their thumbs at this stage.
    And I think it is great that you are sharing your misfortune to make others here aware as well instead of sitting back and brooding over the situation.
    It is a mark of your personal strength that you are not letting these arseholes get you down.

I really hope you get your 75K by December M8 and you might want to look at BGS on the ASX as a start for that.

17. Kawa

Kawa New Member

They have been here some time and have gathered information since last Christmas.Quite a few coppers are stackers by the way.

As I said it is only a matter of time.

18. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good luck Kawa, I sincerely hope they find the thieves and return the silver to its rightful owner.

What do people think about safe custody boxes with banks? I got some with my local bank, they only cost $100 each.

19. ryoohki

ryoohki New Member

How likely is it for thieves to monitor people entering and exiting bullion dealer locations then follow them home.
    They would hold a list of targets which they would check out during holiday periods to see if anyone has their light on in the evening.

This is just one scenario.

Like what SilverDJ says, if you do store it away at the bullions dealers vaults or some vault service it can be slightly costly. You wont have the stacks to be viewed at your own pleasure, so is it any different to buying unallocated?

Things like what happened to Kawa would make me diversify into unallocated / vault stored if the price is right but only keep a minimal at home like a sample of each item.

20. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, There are a few coppers stackers.

Copper Member New Member 0 09-19-2012
    copperhead Member 144 02-11-2014
    copperman New Member 4 11-24-2010
    coppernut Member 13 09-18-2014