was it really necessary?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dragafem, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Simba

Simba Member

If she was in NZ she would be in mental hospital and the cops police would be having a laugh about it.

2. lurk@l0t

[email protected] Active Member

+ 1000

3. lurk@l0t

Umm... BS!!

4. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

lurkalot
    your an idiot.
    are you honestly saying that navy seals are the only people who have the ability to use a knife effectively?
    but reading your rants your a typical "fck the police!!!" type of person with a hatred of authority figures and when something like this happens you hold them to a higher standard than you would others and claim that they have "murdered" someone.
    maybe we should just entirely disband the police force and let people hand themselves in when they commit a crime? because that is what you are suggesting when you attack the police for pursuing criminals to "get their man"
    Are you saying they just sit back and let "their man" hand themselves into the courts?

5. danman49

danman49 Active Member Silver Stacker

Umm... very easy to write BS!! how about you enlighten us as to the parts you think are BS and why?

6. serial

no dan, he attacks the opinions of others without providing arguable alternatives. don't go bringing logic into an argument with a "Neanderthal"

7. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

The toxicology report from the Coroner should be interesting ...

8. serial

This proves your an idiot. A person rushing you with a large carving knife is not a threat. I suppose the macho man that you are would have just disarmed her with your prowess without breaking a sweat.
    this goes to my point that you hold the police to a higher standard than others as anyone who is lunged at by a person wielding would be in fear of their lives but you think police shouldn't have been as they are what, walking knife blocks?

9. systematic

According to the article, ""Police went through a number of tactical options," Assistant Commissioner Frank Mennilli said. "I've been informed that capsicum spray was utilized, and they tried to utilise the Taser."

"It was probably from the time they got out of the car to the time that she was shot, maybe 30 to 40 seconds," Anabelle C'Eladoure said.
    Another witness Alan Sobbi said it was very quick, and "police weren't with her for long".

It is hard to believe a taser was ineffective unless they fired the taser unsuccessfully if at all ...
    the toxicology report from the Coronershould provide more information ... it seems like it was a brief encounter ...

10. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

An old saying springs to mind... "never bring a knife to a gunfight."
    Seems the facts in this case at least, are that the wielder of the knife lost the engagement, implying the rationale behind the above adage to bear truth.

Personally, I believe that someone with a knife, regardless of race, gender or stature, should be able to be contained effectively by a triad of gun wielding persons.
    Disarmament of the knife wielder without a fatal result would require a level of strategic proficiency that I'd hope our police are capable of. If not, we are failing to providing the necessary training.

Policing is at times a difficult vocation, and a level of danger associated with the job is to be expected. This does should imply justification for the use of deadly force as an acceptable standard operating procedure to the extent it seems to be in modern times.

Tragic events such as these have far reaching implications, not only on the victim's family, but also on the shooter. To protect the psychological well being of our police officers, appropriate training and viable alternatives to fatal outcomes must be explored and instituted. Sometimes there is no alternative, but in this case I believe that detention, due process and rule of law was a potentially viable outcome without permanent damage or death to a police officer in the process.

I also believe that if removing any pre-existing biases, and rationally focusing only on the facts, a combat risk analysis result would support my assertion.

11. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

danman49, just to let you know the "mr expert" was directed not at you but at myself. I do seem to have an unqualified opinion about everything, but can't stop.

12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Depends on how close you are.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz7EmDxhtU[/youtube]

13. systematic

Sometimes you are better off eating at home ....

14. lurk@l0t

Keep to the facts numnutz - as inconvenient to your macho opinion as they may be!
    The police closed in on the woman within seconds and so purposefully CREATED.the situation whereby the knife may have become lethal. It was their own dumass/macho decision - thereby minimising other options which excluded deadly force.

You sound and reason like a juvenile hooked on watching.'Cops'. Does your mommy know u're not doing your homework but are instead on blogs spouting your verbal diarrhea??

15. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

No doubt a trained knife fighter within 10 feet is a legitimate threat in a one on one combat situation, especially against an untrained gunslinger. I'd post how Indiana Jones deals with large bladed combatants, but it's not reality so I won't. Throwing knives also have a larger effective range, but they were not in use in this situation, and neither were a variety of alternative non-lethal weapons mentioned previously. Point is if they are close enough to stab you, you are close enough to disarm them. An unarmed person is capable of disarming a gunslinger if trained and within range, either with or without a fatal outcome.

I'm assuming that the disturbed young lady was not trained in knife combat, though I could be wrong. The perception that she was intoxicated implies she would lack the discipline to be effectively trained, and the lack of judgement her actions convey imply that even if she were trained, her efficacy would be diminished (though evidently erratic and unpredictable).

Personally I prefer a blade, as it is relatively silent, doesn't need to be reloaded, and has other uses beyond inflicting damage. Against a knife, I'd prefer a bo staff or kenpo sticks over a gun, and would settle for a broom. Did the police have batons?

Legitimising the fatality of police action on the basis of her being assumed to be as effective Steven Segal with a knife should be balanced with an assumption that the three police officers were Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, and Jason Statham. Again, this is far from reality.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUbJGGcYH4[/youtube]

Or maybe we should just call in an artillery strike, or carpet bomb the area just to be sure.

16. lurk@l0t

actually pistols can be extremely accurate when operated by a well trained shooter. Clearly our police lack training in this field, which makes it all the more surprising as to why they (police) would escalate the situation as they did and by so doing exponentially increase the chances of "having" to use their pistols.
    It's either a case of extremely poor training or just not giving a f..k about other peoples' lives or both the above.

17. systematic

From the article https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/26257255/sydney-police-confrontation-ends-in-tragedy/

"Then police arrived - two cars and four uniformed officers ... pictures show, the unknown woman stood in front of Hungry Jack's with a soft drink in one hand, and a 20cm carving knife in the other. Just minutes later, the 22-year-old was on the ground, shot in the chest The officer, a constable with four to five years service was comforted at the scene by a colleague..."

18. serial

again your attacking the person not the problem and your not providing alternatives.
    so if they are not meant to converge on an armed person breaking the law are they are meant just leave the person to their own devices? I asked you this question before and you conveniently ignored that to call me names
    but given how far of the mark you are on my character lets look at yours.
    your obviously not in a position of power or authority hence your obvious dislike of the government and people whom make decisions. I would say you engage in minimum wage labouring work because your have indicated a lake of aptitude in the writing you produce eg "u're" not your and your lack of the ability to produce legible, well structured written work. I would say that given the obvious anger issues and paranoia that you engage in regular drug use of some kind (daily), I would guess marijuana and alcohol based purely on what you have written in the past.
    you have a criminal record, nothing to serious but I would say you still feel like you got stitched up by the man and only pleaded guilty because you couldn't fight it. You think you know all and feel your superior to others hence why you rubbish other peoples opinions without actually offering opposing arguments/ideas but this superiority doesn't translate into the real world.
    your a simple grade A loser who loves to rant about the "gubberment" but then sucks on the welfare tit when it suits you. Please don't breed

19. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

[email protected] what's your problem man??? Police are perfect! Admit it!

You that guy that doesn't like police... let this cop help you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So on one hand we deplore the militarization of the police and the excessive use of force, and on the other hand we want every beat cop to be a mixed martial arts expert and capable of rendering anyone harmless within a split second of coming into contact with them.

Cops are just ordinary people who put their hand up to do a stressful, sometimes dangerous and frequently shitty job. They're not Ultimate Street Warriors and frankly they don't get paid enough to increase the risk of getting carted off in a body bag every day they go to work.

Not running towards a police office while brandishing a knife is a really good way to avoid getting shot. They care about your safety, but only to the point where it severely compromises their own.