WARNING: The ABS lied about not tracking individuals with census data

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SpacePete, Jul 21, 2016.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Had to call the census hotline today because good old George called yet again today while we were out and left yet another card to tell us we have not completed our census form that we have? and we need to call him on number provided!

I wasnt abrupt or even annoyed when calling census but they are just not talking to each other!

Good luck all those who didnt bother filling it out as I believe many fines will be pursued if they pursue the filling out of the census so rigourously.

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Either that or they know they're not going to be able to issue fines so the only thing they can do is aggressively harass people.

The Greens have a motion in the senate (today) that the ABS be prevented from issuing fines. Xenephon and Lambie are supporting it, no idea what Labor is going to do.

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/mps-urge-govt-to-dump-census-non-completion-fines-435916

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As I said to the old duck that knocked on the front door of the short term accommodation I'm staying at; "What census?" :p

She looked like she was in her late 60's... walking around by herself in the dark streets with nothing but the torch on her phone to see by... little bit of an attitude.... I wonder what the ABS's liability would be if anything untoward happened to her while under their employ?

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't do it!

5. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We got a visit from a census collector yesterday too.

Kind of irks me that taxpayers are paying Sunday rates for these pawns to harass people.

As I told him, it's in the mail. Nobody was home here on census nite, so there was very little for us to fill in.

6. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. millededge

millededge Active Member

that is nice from the Greens. They did the same thing to thwart Labor's Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Bill under Gillard, which would have made offending political feelings unlawful, as well as the taxpayer funding the case of the allegedly offended. Nightmarish stuff, alien to Western philosophy.

Did Labor position these system wonks driving this during their 8 year administration? Would not surprise me.

8. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

Computer giant IBM has conceded the issues surrounding the census website outage could have been avoided if it had turned one of its routers off and on again beforehand.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-...on-could-have-prevented-census-outage/7963916

The router was rebooted after experiencing a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) cyber attack from overseas, but then mistakenly gave out information suggesting that census data was being compromised.

Well Dah, the router did it, so your info is safe with us. :puke:
    [​IMG]

9. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I found it very amusing listening to the radio today where they talked about the "IT Company" that was responsible wasn't going to sack or discipline anyone, blah, blah...

What was interesting was they didn't name IBM. PR team must be working overtime to keep the company name out of the press?

10. metalzzz

metalzzz Active Member

I wrote my name as "the resident" as that was how it was addressed to me, so I figured that was more than appropriate to return it the same. Haven't heard back from them, I was somewhat vague with most answers as I was in a bit of a rush.

11. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

If they did try to go after people for not putting their proper name, aren't they violating usage guidelines of that name data according to their own legislation?

12. PeterS

PeterS Member

I was similar and had a chance encounter with the collector who was chasing the people next door and even though I was at the letterbox she made no enquiry about me. From this I took it that they were satisfied that something had been received from the address. My understanding is that the whole thing is based on "households" at a particular address and they cannot go further such as cross checking the electoral roll, drivers license etc for names and so on. I have heard no further.

13. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

i haven't heard back from them either. no names on my form

14. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

If you did the form online then you had to type something for the name, it wouldn't let you proceed otherwise.

15. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

well i haven't heard back from them yet. i guess they don't know where to start looking because i didn't supply my name?

16. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nothing here either.