WARNING: The ABS lied about not tracking individuals with census data

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SpacePete, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

at this stage? is there 'stage' where they let the truth out?

2. KiwiGreg

KiwiGreg Member

After finally getting access and completing the online censucks, I am wondering what the real motivation is. The data that they captured is somewhat mundane and as far as spending $10m with the good folk down at I've Been Misled goes, for a couple of hundred K they could have hired a couple of big data grads and brought 10 x more useful information from Google or Facebook then drilled far, far deeper into our daily lives than this clusterturtle is going to get them.

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When a disgruntled ABS employee leaks it.

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Usually when it is historical enough for the current bunch to disclaim responsibility or when it's judged that the plebs have forgotten enough detail that it won't matter.

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The census minister has a bitter hatred/disgust for one segment of the community:

6. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Active Member Silver Stacker

^^^
    Good for him, bet you he's not the only one, back in the closet were they belong.

Not sure this has anything to do with the census

7. SpacePete

Those who forget history....

8. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Active Member Silver Stacker

?

9. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

...are doomed to repeat it.

He is hinting that homosexuals might become a persecuted minority after bring identified via census data. Not unlike some parts of the world today or at different times in history.

10. BuggedOut

11. SpacePete

We have to be careful about setting precedents, especially when past censuses have been used to round up groups of people based on various factors that were not in favor with the government of the day. Genetic and cultural background, religion, income status, sexual identity, etc. may all be targeted by some future government, even if the government we have today is benign.

Defense of privacy and liberty is important. It doesn't mean you have to like certain groups, but be careful about exceptions where those principles are abandoned because scope creep, a bit here and a bit there over time, can eat away at everyone's liberties and enable mass surveillance of the populace. You don't want ministers who will find justifications to further intrude into the lives of citizens, and set precedents for broader actions in the future.

Its not hard to imagine some future government targeting those whose views today have fallen out of favour. Just for example, maybe you expressed support for David Leyonhjelm's gun policies, but some future government believes such people are dangerous and so places you under close surveillance or raids your home based on precedents being set today.

12. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

so what does his personal likes and dislike have to do with his ability to do his job.

I am very sure that you SpacePete have some very passionate likes and dislikes yourself that many people would disagree with,but you like him like me can like and dislike whatever with or without your support can't we :D

Don't you SpacePete have a - bitter/disgust for another segment of "our" ( I like how you speak for the rest of us) community being - Christians - and please correct me if I am wrong :)

Everyone likes and dislikes plenty not stopping them from doing their jobs,if they didn't we would all be sacked,come on now :/

I love you SpacePete :lol:

P.S. I think your last post sadly confirms this one.

13. SpacePete

Let's hope they never come for the silver stackers (especially if the government continues down the path of finding new things that enable terrorist financing).

14. SpacePete

15. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

Settle down you are getting hysterical now :rolleyes:

Please read my post a few back from this one.

SpacePete - you must be going to St Kilda later today,you must be :|

16. BuggedOut

SpacePete is right.

Civil liberties don't dissappear overnite. They get eroded gradually so that nobody really notices (or not enough notice)

Who knows what sort of government we will have in the future.

Could you imagine if here was a census question "Do you own physical gold or silver bullion?" It might seem innocent enough and could be useful info to have, but as a precursor to confiscation or persecution of stackers/preppers then it becomes more sinister.

17. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Quite simply, if you identify as a Muslim, at the extreme, one day it might cost you your citizenship.

18. millededge

millededge Active Member

@spacepete, that's the primary reason. All that needs to happen is the ruleset changes and presto, the government has you. It may not even be our government either. If the data is stolen by a foreign organisation, eg Chinese government or a Middle Eastern one dreaming of caliphate, they can create an advanced war strategy.

Even if the data os sold or stolen for profit, Ron Paul's warnings about dystopian corporatism are well founded, already evident in the UK situation of recording medical data without consent. If our data is made available to multinational corporations, including financial institutions, where will the merger end?

19. SpacePete

And the ABS already sells the data which is why there has been concern about the development and availability of de-anonymization software.

In fact, when David Kalisch was appointed to his position in the ABS, the government's announcement mentioned "building the ABS of the future" that would meet government and business needs. They also mentioned maintaining the reputation of the ABS and he has failed abysmally at that.

The data isn't even expensive, see: http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/Microdata+prices

Note that the microdata they are selling can be information at the level of individual respondents that has been "confidentialized" (hence the concern about the fact that this data can be reverse-de-confidentialized):

20. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

Many things get - quote - eroded gradually - like morals and common sense - and that is how you boil a frog - Slowly - which is exactly my point.

What was called perverse yesterday (and still is by many) is main stream today (vomit)

SpacePete - is there anything that you want to tell us :)

This is the thinking at the front of my mind after your earlier posts which have me wondering "why" you came out so hard and over the top over the very subject at the start of your "violent" verbal post.

To be completely honest and truthful with you - I DON'T - even for just - ONE SECOND - condone or support - IN ANYWAY - ANYONE - who tries to justify verbal violence and physical violence to anyone - No Matter - what or who they are.

But I have an opinion - which is just as important as your's right