WARNING: The ABS lied about not tracking individuals with census data

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SpacePete, Jul 21, 2016.

1. olifrated

olifrated Member Silver Stacker

How are they going to impose a fine and how much is it ? I intend to leave it and if asked just say I filled everything out and pressed send ...... As far as I was aware they had it as I received an online confirmation ...... See how we go

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tell 'em you put it in the mail but you know...hackers. :rolleyes: :D

3. millededge

millededge Active Member

hilarious siding with the public from fairfax

you almost wonder if the minister was stitched up

Duncan on tv looked to me the consummate bureaucrat divorced from my idea of liberty, likely shared by most. I hated him within 2 seconds of his opened mouth and yet he is the public face of what may be the work of a saboteur. I refuse to think this is mere idiocy, above the level of the bureaucrats, considering it is framed in the optics of TV. It could be, but itnseems such an obvious means to goad an enemy into a blunder.

4. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Having been one of the first to reveal the size of my testicles to the government >>> http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-943151.html#p943151
    Knowing the incompetence of the gov realised the realities that millions of Australian's all converging on the same site all at once led me to believe that because everything the government touches fcks up was the reason for my early response. (30secs into tuesday) haha - reminded me of an auction on SS.

###BUT### My spidey senses are telling me that this was no mistake...I mean call me a conspiracy theorist & and believe me when I say I have enough tinfoil to circle the globe three times.
    What comes to mind is the ollllllll''' hegelian dialectic =problem - reaction - solution
    [​IMG]

NOTHING by government is a mistake - when the two options to a problem is gross incompetence or on purpose - - - i will go with on purpose every time.

& before you shit on my post - just think about it for a sec - MOTIVE!!!

WHAT could they want to achieve by a system failure?

"Well if everyone had a microchip/Australia card? - dunno, we wouldn't need to have a census?"

If you allowed the gov to track everything you do we wouldn't need this inconvienience?

But the way its being pumped and with such exposure, leads me to believe = ulterior motive.

Anyway just a thought, & wondered if anyone else is getting this feeling.

Dunno - just asking for feedback on the idea - that's all.

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Now that the census is back up... have your views about filling it out changed?

6. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

^^^no they haven't changed, only justified.

7. Ag bullet

i saw this on mythbusters once. they said PLAUSIBLE.

8. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Both the Liberal and Labor parties are urging people to supply accurate names and addresses on the census. When they both agree on something like that, then you have to wonder if there is a motive that is not in the best interests of the people of this nation. Probably the only thing that can get those two parties to agree with each other is fear.

9. SpacePete

Turnbull has launched a Denial of Responsibility attack in a massive ass-covering excercise.

10. Ag bullet

yes, when government urges you to do something it's almost always in your best interest to do the exact opposite.

11. SteveS

SteveS New Member

I have worked in the public service for the last ten years, following thirty five years in the private sector.

I simply see the usual incompetence brought about by ever-enlarging, self-serving bureaucracy managed by folks who wouldn't last five minutes in the private sector.

12. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's not back up for me.

I'm using GoogleDNS and the ABS's DNS servers are behind the firewall that's geoblocking foreign IP addresses.

Because they've lumped everything behind the geoblock, I can't even get to the website to request a paper copy.

It's their problem, not mine. Dodgy hacks like that break the internet.

F#ck 'em.

13. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tell us what you really think Big A.D.

14. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You nailed it SteveS. I was in government for 6 years after 15 years in private sector (and small business). Was one hell of a culture shock becoming a "public servant" and to this day I am surprised I lasted that long. But after 3 promotions in 6 years and then looking at the next level up I started to see the forest from the trees and got out....

15. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

I think that you need to phone etc etc and request a hard copy which the hugs and kisses did after a few attempts last week - before you know :lol: I bet the waiting time on the phone has gone parabolic as they say.

$180.00 x 10 = 1oz of Gold down the drain = :(

16. Big A.D.

Again, keeping a website online (even without resorting to dodgy DNS hacks) requires a minimum level of competence. Anyone who can't do that can't even begin to talk about security of personal information with any degree of authority.

It apparently took the Australian Signals Directorate more than 36 hours to investigate whether any personal information was compromised and we're told, not by the Signals Directorate but by the ABS, that none was taken.

Since Australia doesn't have mandatory data breach disclosure laws, they could be lying and we'll never know.

This is the Australian government's cyber security advisor saying he won't guarantee that any of the census data hasn't been or won't be compromised: https://twitter.com/BreakfastNews/status/763544245382680576

So again, f#uck 'em and I'll worry about fines if anyone has the balls to try issuing them.

17. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ wish everyone had your stance/attitude coz then I would feel comfortable not filling mine in.

18. Big A.D.

19. SpacePete

Someone on Whirlpool mentioned that the ABS system was generating alerts indicating there was a serious breach of the system that hours later (or the next day) were determined to be false positives, and all the while, before they determined it was a false alarm, we were being told the data was safe. They actually thought the system had been breached yet they still told the public everything was fine.

So if there really was a serious breach, they simply wouldn't tell us. Maybe it's happened before. We can never know unless they volunteer the information or there is a leak.

20. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does anyone really believe they'd let the truth out at this stage?