Wait Until the End of May...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Eureka Moments, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No good trying to judge the usefullness or "value" of lockdowns and other measures imposed on us up until now.

I think that North and South America and any Countries with low per-capita income populations and below par social health care systems will get way messy over the next 34 days.

Has everyone forgot about exponential spread that we all learned about back in Feb? I hope I'm wrong, but I see a huge mess developing not a "back to normal 2nd half of 2020" life like some think will still exist.

*Disclaimer: If Earth gets struck by big-arsed Meteor I will be wrong, similar outcome notwithstanding.

sterling-nz, Skyrocket and jnkmbx like this.
  2. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tend to agree. USA is certainly going to test out the theories that this is just another flu and we all have to get back to work.

You know the me two thing is interesting. My research of past crisis suggests that these events are normally brought about by multiple elements. Australia seems to have not missed out here with drought, bush fires and now corona. So a meteor or something else would not be surprising going on past crisis histories.

sterling-nz and madaw1 like this.
  3. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Just for example of a small family (poor class) with a low income, it will take few months to recover financially, most especially for those who do not have stable salary. The mid class with months of disposable savings can survive easily.

Exponentially the more contamination of country's population, the more faster it spreads.
    The harder the condition to face because of the enveloping fear amongst them.

Govt mess up with deficit spending, money supply pumped but goods and services on choke, then prices getting high.
    People get feared. No matter the govt will do, the standing psychological condition can not be alter in short period.

Things will change after the lockdowns, now that almost 3 million contamination worldwide and 200K death.
    Worst can be double or quadruple easily if the cure and vaccine discovery will be late in 2 months period.

I expect for the worst in numbers at the end of June. Let us wait and hope for better.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Lord_Dudley likes this.
  4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The virus will be the least of our problems.
    Start digging a slit trench!

willrocks and Shaddam IV like this.
  5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Coming back from this sort of thing may be socially problematic. If Australians were self-entitled before this lock down, what next?

From Melbourne Age

Business owners are battling staff demanding payments under the government's $130 billion JobKeeper scheme but refusing to work.

Several employers told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald their staff said they don't want to work at all, or want to work minimal hours, but still receive JobKeeper payments of $1,500 a fortnight.

Attorney-General and Minister for Industrial Relations Christian Porter said employees needed to comply with their employment contracts and be available to work.

"Employees have obligations under their employment contracts to perform work as long as it is safe to do so," Mr Porter said. "Having an entitlement to JobKeeper does not relieve employees of those obligations."

Advertisement
    Mr Porter said arrangements for working from home needed to be by agreement with employers and if working from home was not an option this could include taking some form of paid or unpaid leave.

"Naturally, each workplace is different and employers and employees are encouraged to work together to come to arrangements that suit the individual workplace," he said.

More than 900,000 Australian businesses have registered their interest in accessing JobKeeper payments and 275,000 businesses had already filled in formal applications for the scheme.

Businesses have overwhelmingly supported the JobKeeper package but some business owners have warned employees are seeking to abuse the scheme.

One owner of a hospitality business on the New South Wales south coast described how some staff members didn't want to work but had requested JobKeeper payments.

The business owner, who wished to remain anonymous because she feared retribution, said her business which employed 50 staff would struggle to pay casual workers who used to earn $400 a fortnight the JobKeeper amount of $1,500 a fortnight while waiting for reimbursement from the government.

"One of our young casuals who does 10 hours a week said 'I am entitled to it, go to the bank and get my money'," she said. "It’s not money for jam. What are we breeding in young ones?"

Fast Food franchise owner Suresh Patel said staff were not incentivised to work as they knew they would receive the same amount through JobKeeper regardless of how much they worked.

"The root of the problem is that because all employees get the same amount regardless of how many hours they actually work, staff don’t want to work extra hours," Mr Patel said.

6. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me about the old adage: "Sell in May and walk away"
    Not that I believe it :p

On your other points - things will probably get worse in developing countries, but I think that was a given.
    Australia will be back to normal as far as the sheeple are concerned.

7. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In terms of covering all bases the scheme's about as effective as using a fishing net to hold honey. There's enough money to pay casuals working (or not) a 10 hr week (or less) $1500 a fortnight, but not enough to cover a million migrant workers who now can't leave the country. Maybe if they'd spent another half an hour on designing this plan it could have been improved.

Shaddam IV, sammy and 66rounds like this.
  8. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

.....and the drought is still going

9. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If they stop the lockdowns too soon I think it will spread again and then the next lock downs will be much longer. And the death toll will be much higher too.

sterling-nz and Eureka Moments like this.
  10. mattyman174

mattyman174 New Member

If anything, i hope that what has happened so far is a good look into how a UBI would affect a population, so far this seems to be a good case study source for such an answer. Id argue that a lot of people would be surprised/disappointed with what it would suggest when it comes to peoples work ethic under such a scheme.

11. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My thoughts exactly. Good luck getting anyone to take those low rung "toilet cleaning" type jobs when the UBI is in play.

I hope this whole crisis is a big wake-up call for some common sense to return to our society, but it's quite likely it will be precisely the opposite and things will get more loony.

12. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If the Toilet Cleaners were paid a fair wage to start with we wouldn't be so fucked up right now. It's the wannabe middle and privileged 1% classes that expect someone to get paid bugger all to clean up after them.

Until some of the thinking around "No way will I lower myself to doing cheap menial labour, someone inferior to me should as they always have." changes, nothing else will.
    Stuck in our caves and all blaming another mob for it.

Silver260 and leo25 like this.
  13. Ag bullet

it will be interesting to see how farm harvest labour will be sourced in the next 12 months if international travel is still shutdown. there will be plenty of people without a job that could have a job. but they will be of the mentality that Eureka mentioned above. there's a difference between a worker and someone that will work.

Oddjob likes this.
  14. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To be fair those jobs should either be paid much higher or shouldn't exist. This country relies way to much on exploited people from 3rd world countries. Meanwhile some dumbass working a desk job in finance and a girl holding a stop sign on the road are getting paid $100K. How about we stop giving money to those people that don't do anything, then maybe they can be the ones cleaning the toilets for $100k.

Also you can set the start age for UBI at say 21. So there will still be a lot of young people looking for low paid jobs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  15. leo25

I remember when i was a kid, it would be common for the young ones to do those jobs for low pay and we were happy to do it. Or is it illegal for a 15yo to work 10hr days on the weekend for say $15 per hour these days? If so get rid of those laws and problem solved.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    mmm....shiney! and Ag bullet like this.
  16. Ag bullet

leo25 likes this.
  17. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You clearly don't know what cleaners get paid.
    On some of the penalty rates a base level cleaner is on $55+ per hour

18. leo25

If you own the business then yes, but the vast majority are closer to $18 per hour.

Lord_Dudley and 66rounds like this.
  19. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unfortunately Australia is not playing its part in providing cheap work for people from developing countries. We have a phobia about importing workers and the Unions do their bit to feed our nationalist mentality when it comes to offering work to foreigners when there are plenty of unemployed already here.

Hong Kong is a good model - wealthy expats and locals import cleaners/baby sitters from the Philippines etc for domestic duties, this frees them to continue working to their optimal level whatever career path they have, but it also raises the prosperity of the world as a whole as these workers (predominantly girls) have an alternative employment path to the options available in their own country at a higher rate of pay than they could ordinarily have and in safer conditions. Not to mention various lifestyle benefits and the fact that many return some of their income home for their families.

Malaysia is similar. Locals don't want to work on the tea plantations as the pay/benefits are lower than what they consider to be fair value so the tea growers import labourers from Bangla Desh, pay them very meagre wages, but also supply them with housing/accommodation/education for their children. It's shithouse pay compared to what others in Malaysia earn but compared to what they could earn back in BD it represents an opportunity for them and their children that they ordinarily wouldn't have. These jobs for imported workers play a similar role as sweatshops do in raising the living standards of millions.

If we could import low paid foreigners as domestics for example it could result in a family with young children saving $1000/s per week in childcare costs as well as forcing the State sponsored childcare industry to operate efficiently, and it will lift the prosperity of a foreign worker and her family back home which also lifts our level of prosperity. A far more meaningful and sensible use of money than just donating money to World Vision to build concrete huts and dig wells.

That's the cue for @alor to post his CPC propoganda and ramblings from Pablo Escobar.

20. leo25

The vast majority of very low paying jobs in Australia are people from developing countries, so not sure how you can make that claim. Well at least in Sydney it is.