Unlisted assets

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by mmm....shiney!, Mar 21, 2020.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I received an email yesterday in response to the market turmoil were experiencing of late. He made mention of his solid faith in unlisted assets and their place in a portfolio.

I had to google what they were as it's something I've never heard of before, nor something I can recall mentioned on this site. He was basically saying that unlisted assets won't light a fire under your belly when the stockmarket goes boom, but they also won't plunge as much when the market goes south.

Does anyone want to share their experience, views, opinions and educated wise views about this asset class?

2. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Manged funds and property syndicates are the first two that come to my mind.

mmm....shiney! and 66rounds like this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep. Infrastructure funds caught my eye.

4. Tin Can

Tin Can Active Member

Or maybe tin cans of pumpkin pie filling?

5. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't touch unlisted, unless you knew exactly what they were doing and had some type of control, such as a family enterprise.

Regarding financial advisers: I used them for my SMSF for years and eventually realised that if I did the opposite of what they advised I could make more money. I was doing okay with this system for a while, but finally decided that this wasn't the best of relationships, and now do it all myself. I also believe that most advisors invest your money so that they can maximise their own profits. And that using advisors is really only suitable for the most financially illiterate.

It worked for me and I'm now making more from my investments than I ever made in wages.

Warren Buffett If you dont find a way.jpg