unidentified coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by octapotamus, Oct 7, 2011.

1. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

I've found a coin on eBay, that I cannot find anywhere else on the net (other than sites that aggregate listings from eBay). No online catalogue (colnect.com being the most comprehensive I can find) has it listed, and my searches unearth no discussion on any forums.

Apparently there are only 2500 minted, and I consider it to be an especially unique and attractive coin (if it is genuine). I posted in the Numi forum but have had no replies so thought I'd try here too.

It is (allegedly) a 1 oz .999 ag proof, accompanied by COA and in box/capsule. 2010 Palau 5$ Memento Mori * Carpe Diem Proof coin.

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

I am going crazy trying to substantiate the legitimacy of this coin. I have one on the way, and will test it as best I can when it arrives. This will be tricky as gravity testing a proof will obv require great care (I'm thinking zip-lock baggie tared with the water)

So, my questions to you guys:

What are your impressions?

Has anybody seen or heard of this coin?

What would be the best way to test a supposed Proof silver coin to establish whether or not is indeed .999 ag, without spoiling the finish?

Am I foolish for pursuing something that might obviously be a fraudulent listing/unofficial issue?

I figure I have recourse to refund (PP, CC) so my downside risk is limited only to time/return postage.

If it fails testing, I will be returning it and opening a dispute with the seller if they don't play ball with a refund.

If it is indeed .999 ag but not an official Palau Issue, I would still be tempted to keep it..

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

dead end!

You know you can load a photo into Google images and it will look for a match? It works!

3. Jislizard

http://www.zlate-mince.cz/email/09102010_.htm

Seems to be a Czech coin, Google will have a go at translating it for you but when I copy and paste it goes all foreign!

Diameter: 38.61 mm, weight: 31.1 g
    ryzost: 999/1000 Ag Fineness: 999/1000 Ag
    nominl : 5 Dollars nominal: 5 Dollars
    hrana: vroubkovan Edge: milled
    proveden: proof design: standard
    nklad: 2500 ks load: 2500 pcs

On a side note, the write up says it is sterling silver with a plastic skull motif but the specs say it is .999 silver

4. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

brilliant work Jislizard! Thanks.

I've never tried that image search thing, does work huh.

I'm hoping the sterling/plastic specs are a translation confusion.. time will tell.

an interesting bit of info from that site:

"Palau: One of the three countries (with Brunei and Liechtenstein) which has zero debt."

5. Capricorn

Capricorn New Member

Interesting that it's a Czech coin inscribed with two Latin phrases .... roughly translated - remember your mortality (memento mori) -- seize the day (carpe diem)

6. Jislizard

Cost average them!