Uneven edges on American Silver Eagles

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silverjoe, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

Newbie here so maybe this has been discussed before but could not find anything on the topic by searching... Anyhow, has anyone else noticed how the edges on American Silver Eagles are uneven. As in as you rotate the coin, looking at the edges, some sides are higher/thicker then the other side. Like it goes thick, then thinner and back again all the way around the coin if that makes sense? Usually the edges that are at the top of the head and the bottom of the feet of lady liberty that the edges are thinnest and gets thicker on the sides at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Its more pronounced on the early and mid 90's coins. As you get later into the 2000's it's not as noticeable. At least that is the case on the ones I have as I have some 90's coins and later 2000's.

Just wondering if you guys also noticed this and have the same thing going on with your coins? Especially the 90's coins.. I am sure my Eagles are real as I got them from reputable vendors that includes JM bullion... plus they pass all other tests, weight, magnet, specific gravity, etc...

Would appreciate any knowledge and/or observations anyone might have to chime in on this... thanks..

2. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Man, you really observe your coins with great attention to details! You made me curious now, I guess I'll have to open a couple of tubes and check them out.

3. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

LOL.. Guess its probably a newbie thing. Getting to know my silver so I know what the coins are suppose to look like so if I do come across a fake, I will recognize it... Plus the unevenness makes it hard to stack them evenly and it looks ugly. That is not the case with Maple Leafs.. Crap work by the U.S. mint I guess. Like I said its more pronounced in the 90's coins. Looks like they corrected the issues somewhat by later 2000's as it barely noticeable on those. They are uneven a little if you take calipers to them, but can't really notice with just eyeballing it. The 90's coins however, very noticeable, which is why I am surprised that I can't find any info on this subject. I would have thought someone else would have wondered the same thing at some point.

But would be interested to know if your ASE's have the same type of edges if you do happen to check yours out. Would appreciate it... thanks. :)

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Monsta

Monsta Member

I don't have any 90's ASE's but relatively current (last 5 years) look fine to me.

Most of my purchases are in tubes anyway.

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

You might hit a jackpot there.
    If they are Error coins :D just saying :p

7. Monsta

Monsta Member

Good point. That said it seems like he has many like this which seems more systemic.

We need some photos of what you mean, how they stack etc etc

8. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

Yeah. Its not a error thing its the same on all the 90's coins, coins I have gotten from different places and its pretty consistent. I will put up some pics when I get a chance sometime today. Just hope the pics will show and emphasize what I am talking about.

Hopefully I can figure how to post the pics. Still new to the site. What do I do, just hit the upload image button on the main menu on top or can I just copy and paste and imagine right into the reply?

9. SilverStackingFurry

SilverStackingFurry New Member

I know this is an old post but I havw the same question and I didn't see an answer, I have just got my first pre 2000s eagle and it has the exact same thing with its edges, I bought a 1995 from my local coin shop and it has uneven edges but the 2010 eagle that I bought from them is normal, did you ever work out why this was? We're the coins real? Thankyou