Ultra Cameo vs Cameo vs no designation

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverfever, Oct 22, 2012.

1. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I have seen NGC grading the same type of coin\ medal with the following designations.

I know that ultra cameo is better than cameo but what if there is no designation?

Does it mean that PF 69 is worse than PF 69 Cameo?

2. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yes.
    But in mcc for now the ultra cameo dont have more premium than cameo.
    Saw the old posts here in the forum

3. low

low New Member

Realistically, ultra cameo is nicer than cameo, and a lot more nicer than toned proof, or otherwise the proof that has lost the cameo effect.

Given any chance to buy a proof, look for ultra cameo first. If you have to pay a little more, do so.

In China, proof coins still has a long way to go before collector recognize the true beauty.

Whether the day for proof to shine ever come, or when to expect, I don't know.

Personally I prefer ultra cameo proof, and won't settle for anything less than that, except for perhaps, some really rare one that I absolutely must have.

Yes! No question about it.

Just want to make it clear. Not every type of proof has the designation of Cameo (or ultra cameo). Copper/bronze proof has the usual designation of RD/RB/BN (or BR).

For the proof that qualify for Cameo designation, I prefer Ultra Cameo. Some proof just doesn't has any designation. My answer doesn't refer to those.

A couple of good resources.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=98
    http://raregoldcoins.com/market-blog/when-is-deep-cameoultra-cameo-proof-gold-worth-a-premium

4. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Excellent reply low!