UK 'threatens' to raid Ecuador embassy over Assange

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by CriticalSilver, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Nothing, and its bloody poor form

all I can say to that is

Summum ius summa inuria.

and

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

2. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

From Jesse's cafe:
    [​IMG]
    Source: http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/michael-parenti-functions-of-fascism.html

So, Assange was offered secret Government information that was contrary to what the Govt was telling it's own citizens... which is the action of a Govt of the far-right (even if it pretends to be left or centre).

And he exposes this, providing a service to the public that they were not getting from their own media (who really should be the ones acting as a bit of a check and balance on this stuff).

What is his crime? And, in answering the question, will you also admit to being a supporter of far-right Govts yourself? At least this way we can understand the bias.

Personally I think the guy is a hero. Almost like a modern day version of Sophie Scholl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl) or someone else willing to take action for the benefit of the public, even when it means putting themselves in harms way.

3. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

I feel quite sick in the stomach about this. It is quite obvious that the USA is out to get him and the British and Australian and Swedish governments are just sucking up to the USA.

Coward ? Who wouldn't be if faced with the death penalty in the USA or a life of imprisonment and torture? There will be no fair trial for him.

You can understand why the powers that be want to silence him and make him a scape goat to stop any future leaks - they probably have many more secrets they dont want exposed, he would be a real threat to them.

There is no longer such a thing as truth and democracy, Julia said ' they cant see what an immense step into worldwide totalitarianism this event is becoming' I couldn't agree more!

4. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

I am as right wing as they come and my kids reckon I'm right of Gengus Khan...However. Our lock tugging syncophantic government and opposition are spineless. For once I'm at the bottom of the garden with the faries (greens) Julian has done nothing more than show the world what a bunch of lying bastards our so called democratic governments are.

Our civil liberties in the last ten years have been erroded to the point we all should be standing up and show your middle finger to our syncophantic leaders who lick the boots of the septic tanks.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

5. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

IF they storm the embassy it wont take long for British embassies around the world to be stormed by those with an opposing agenda...

This could have interesting Chaos Theory affects leading to WW3.

6. Kawa

Kawa New Member

My son and I talked about this at Dinner.
    He will likely get the Noble Peace Prize in 20 years after he dies in the Electric Chair in the USA.

I don't use Visa or Mastercard anymore in protest when they stopped allowing donations on his website.

7. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sadly, most of the people are very stupid (ie ignorant of the true facts) and "they" know it. :(

8. lucky luke

I don't think it would be any different under ANY other prime-minister in Australia? Balls or no balls, red hair or no red hair, liberal or labor. :(

9. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

OK I have not really been following all the background on this one, but could somebody please explain:

If the US wanted to charge Assange and extradite him to the US, why didn't they just do it while he has been in the UK and get the UK government to extradite him ?
    Why bother getting him to Sweden first ?

10. lucky luke

Somethings are best done on the quiet...........

11. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

I think because in the UK they might not extradite him if he potentially faces the death penalty?

My understanding is that Sweden is easier to persuade perhaps?

Assange was saying all along that he had faith in the UK legal system - that's why he went to the UK. He thought the UK would be one of the countries that had the balls to stand up to the USA, or at least had a legal system that might not be so stacked against him.

Turns out he was wrong, the UK legal system is like any other I guess.

12. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Surely that's easier to do in the UK given the UK is such a close ally of the US ?

I don't understand the assumption that such things are more likely to happen in Sweden.
    I have spent time in Sweden - the Swedish system and the people's mindset is very much one of looking after it's people, environment etc.
    Sweden would be far more likely to uphold a citizen's rights than many other countries (including the UK it now seems).

13. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

I feel quite sick in the stomach about this too ! The hopelessness and having to witness such evil.

Assange exposed western diplomacy for the fraud that it is and the GOV continues to prove it.

14. spdz

spdz New Member

I think both these are true, UK is possibly harder to send Delta/SEALS/whatever into without someone noticing. It worked in Pakistan, but London has iPhones.

There is though:

UK would most probably turn him over, at least once he was in custody and the US asked for him. I have a feeling that extradition only applies to people in custody (it's not like a world wide arrest warrant), so perhaps the UK wish to detain him for Swedengate and then switcheroo him to the USA.

Then, it comes down to charges and how good his lawyers are - treason won't stick but some sort of unlawfulenemycombatant thing could.

Big question though is why is AUS keeping its nose clean? Obvious answer is to sucker to the US some more... and who is our ambassador to the US again?

15. spdz

spdz New Member

(and this post will probably get me disappeared - don't you wish 'we' had Rainbow-Six teams for the good guys?)

16. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Seems like Bob and Kim haven't been talking otherwise one is telling "Porkies".

Fess up Bob. You knew all along.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/us-intends-to-chase-assange-cables-show-20120817-24e1l.html

Cheers markcoinoz

17. Kawa

Kawa New Member

http://justice4assange.com/Donate.html

Australia

Bank Transfer - Option 3: via WIKILEAKS ICT INC

Recipient name: WIKILEAKS ICT INC
    Bank name: Bendigo Bank
    Bank / branch address: 101 Queens Pde, Clifton Hill 3068, Australia
    BSB Number: 633-000
    Bank account number: 138296579

18. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

19. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Carr makes the HSU management look like honest, upstanding people by comparison. He is parochial, inept and completely dishonest. He suits Gillard to a tee.

20. browski

browski Member

Above is the type of post that results from not understanding an issue............but wanting to comment nonetheless.

Here are the facts so far:

1. Assange is not wanted for trial. He's wanted for questioning.
    2. Assange went to the police station whilst in Sweden and was questioned over the matter. He informed the police that he was heading to England. They said no problem, there was no case to answer. Subsequent to his departure, the Swedish prosecutors suddenly discovered more questions they wished to ask Assange.
    3. Suspecting a trap, Assange said he would be willing to go to Sweden as long as they guaranteed that he would not be extradited to the US (or anywhere else). Sweden said NO guarantee would be given. If the court case was really important (and if the 2 ladies interests were truly at the heart of the matter), then Sweden would simply offer the guarantee and that would be then end of it.
    4. The UK have demonstrated by their disproportionate and desperate actions that Assange has indeed reason to be fearful.

Assange is gutsy and heroic; but it's hard to see him staying alive much longer when sections of the public (like the above poster) are so easily manipulated.