U.S. numismatics coins break all time record in 2015

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by mmissinglink, Jan 12, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

2. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

is that the surviving pieces are low and it is rare? I am zero experience in old coins

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Eh, just the mega-wealthy throwing around their excess cash..

4. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Anything to learn from these coins to help us with our current day collections and possible investments? Any insight appreciated.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, Look at the dates on those coins, are any of them collectors' editions? Commemoratives, Coloured, Hologramatic, anything from Nuie? How long do you have to hold on to them before they get to that value?

People may not have put many coins aside in the old days, they wouldn't have had the disposable income. So coins from way back are rare, and if they are in good condition you can bet people will be desperate to pay anything to add them to the collection.

99% of my collection could be dumped in a skip and the numismatic world wouldn't even notice. I collected mostly for the fun of it and never really looked at the investment side of it. Maybe if I held on to my collection until 2216 then they might be worth something, if we still use coins, or even have the concept of money.

The usual advice is to buy the best condition coin you can find, don't bother with low grade coins. Don't bother with modern releases, they might be good for flipping for short term profits but once the hype dies down so does the interest.

The way the hobby is heading at the moment I wouldn't consider it to be a wise investment. Offload all your low quality coins now before your inheritors have to throw them in a skip.

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

There's also the "provenance" premium -- basically paying up above & beyond, because of its record of ownership.

If the coin can be traced back in time, especially to its roots, passing through some hands of famous/wealthy people, those who can afford such a coin will go even more ga-ga over it. (A little marketing doesn't hurt, either. ;) )

The $5 million USD coin came from the D. Brent Pogue Collection..

Conclusion:

That such an astonishing group of American coins produced at the Philadelphia Mint in 1794-1795, in near perfect condition, survived in the collection of a single family for over a century-and-a-half is, on its own, remarkable. But even more astonishing is that there is now demonstrable evidence that identifies which of their ancestors (a coin collector) toured the United States of America and was in Philadelphia in 1794-1795.

The importance of the 1794-1795 coins from the William Strickland-Charles Winn-Lord St. Oswald-Nostell Priory Collection cannot be understated. They were originally acquired in the year of issue, not merely by some casual tourist, but by a truly remarkable man: a vitally interested amateur, a numismatist no less, who traveled in the august company of some of our nation's Founding Fathers, including a number who were integral to the birth of the United States Mint. The original "Lord St. Oswald" theory, once discarded, may now be said to have been not so wide of the mark, and that with William Strickland as the original acquisitor, the provenance is even richer and more important than previously imagined.
    It was, very much, a family affair.

http://media.stacksbowers.com/poguecollection/side_pages_family_affair.html