Travelling overseas with gold

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by SovereignBuyerMelbourne, Oct 12, 2014.

1. SovereignBuyerMelbourne

SovereignBuyerMelbourne Member

Hi about two months ago, I told you guys about my intention to travel to the UK from AU with gold.

So that I could change my Aussie dollars into pound sterling and avoid any fees and also get a fair price.

Just thought it would be helpful for you users to know that I travelled with a 100g gold bar in my wallet from Melbourne airport to Dubai airport and then to Birmingham airport without any trouble.

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How did the exchange work out?

3. SovereignBuyerMelbourne

well, in the end I never sold my gold, and intend to keep it and sell in the next financial crisis.

4. SovereignBuyerMelbourne

And I'm happy I changed some Australian dollars into gold now that the AUD has fallen,

5. millo

millo New Member

hey SovereignBuyerMelbourne, thanks for that useful piece of information. I'm potentially travelling back over with 24 x 1 oz coins (that's about 600gms). i've got all receipts. do you think there would be any problem? or anybody done this before? i'm still really trying to investigate what best options are.

6. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Most of the airport I'm passing all over the world never ask me about gold coins, gems and ingots if not more than 10K usd, incase more than that amount, i am making sure that i have a receipt in my possession and my financial papers. I am always ready to pay tax in case whenever things goes wrong. Of course, i never declare my gems and gold coins, just with my belt bag always. I used to travel Africa, S. America, US, Europe, Meds and China never encounter difficulty in the airport. Except for India & Pakistan which i never tried. Some airports ask me what inside, i say to them they are my jewelries, money and important belongings. Last week i been in Turkey, Qatar, Bangkok bringing my gold coins around 8 TOz, never been a problem.

7. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

Thanks for the info.

Is that 10k intrinsic or face value..?

8. JNS

Hi tiddleyetom, intrinsic value. It is always at your risk just be ready to pay tax if necessary. Some people are bringing expensive bags and watches, they are far more than 10k if conjoin. So, being polite and wear a smile as always. As long as your intention is clean i never met such heavy inspection. i let them check it and once they get to heavy i ask for discreet check and if necessary i will pay any tax. I see them bit electrocuted if they see my loose dollars small bills and some ordinary coins scattered in my belt bag un-arranged.

9. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

So if gold rises in price the less one can take through customs.. Ouch.
    I was always under the impression that government minted coins with a face value are considered legal tender to the amount minted on them.

10. JNS

Not with some crocs customs Tiddleyetom, There will always be a some kind of, So, i always keep photo in my phone all my receipt and ready to be presented. Problem arises on your destination country or your very own local custom. Because if you have receipt from the place where you purchase it is easy to pass on departure airport, and much easier on transit airports as well. But it is very rare, just do not bring a kilo which so obvious or so many items with the same kind. For sure you will be a favorite target doing money laundering or financing terrorism. Declaring then is safer. "yes for a 32 coins x 1oz or in 3 tubes is too heavy for a belt bag" and i don't wanna try it.

11. Porcello

Porcello New Member

There is no limit to the amount of money or equivalent that you can take across borders. You just have to declare any value in excess of the non-declaration limit of the destination country. Gold for investment is normally exempt from import taxes (exceptions exist).
    Most countries in their customs rules explicitly ask to declare the commodity value of gold, independently from any legal tender face value stamped on them. I wouldn't personally engage in a discussion about legal tender implications with a custom officer, just declare and live happily.

12. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet New Member

Just thought I'd give you my experience... I recently travelled from Australia to UK via Qatar. At Australia security I saw a bit of finger pointing as my bag went through the scanner and they called someone over who also did some finger pointing, but bag went through OK. Got to Doha and bag went through scanner and when I tried to pick it up they said, do you have gold in your bag. I said yes and they asked if I had paperwork and asked to see my passport. They took me aside and asked me to show what I had and so I showed them the 5 toz that I had and they asked if that was it and I said yes. He looked at me for a few seconds and then said I could go.

Arrived in London and customs was completely empty and just breezed through.