Transfer to more libertarian system?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Rinchin, Dec 27, 2012.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Its better to own local land not least because of the presence of governments ? :lol; arent you the one saying governments are shit ? now theyre good ... flip ......flop !!!!!! ......priceless :cool:

2. renovator

Who says theres no respect for property rights here ? i didnt i said there is & have heard many stories where it stands the test for the citizens where unscrupulous foregners try to get it & failed because the local property rights are enforced .

3. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

reno - i believe bordsilver was saying that because of the presense of local government that it's probably a tad easier dealing with them if you're a local.

He wasn't endorsing them - they're still a roadblock to freedom and development - whether you're a local or foreigner.

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol: Is that the best you've got? And it was AFTER you said it.

I didn't say the Government-related barriers to entry are good, I said there are barriers that prevent foreign bidders. So it is fully consistent since the b**tard gubbmints are forcing the price of our land down as they are less attractive to foreigners and create unnecessary transaction costs! They are stealing $$$ from the land holders retirement funds! They are reducing knowledge transfer and consequently impoverishing our nation. [Is that better :p ]

5. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

You misunderstand my interpretation of what property rights actually mean.
    It means that no other person or entity (including and especially the state) can interfere with your property rights.
    This includes - but is not limited to - your rights as a property owner to sell your property to WHOMEVER YOU SO WISH to sell it to.
    Since government has stripped property owners of that very basic right that pretty much means that property rights there are more of an illusion than a reality.

6. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

I'm assuming you're a local then and not an unscrupulous foreigner?

7. Mr.G

Mr.G Member

Thanks for the clip, entertaining though a little too much along the fantasy / alarmist paradigm for me. It's a little like the Matrix concept, suggesting that we are slaves to our own ignorance.

I do think that its a bit condescending to to suggest that people, especially in Australia, do not have the option to choose their own form of liberty. The fact that I'm free to say, read and listen to any ideas I like, practice any religion, eat freely, work hard or drop out if i like, mix with whoever and whenever, freely procreate or abstain, follow mainstream or alternate philosophies and ways of life all adds ups in my opinion to simply imply that we do live in a nation where personal freedom is available. To say that we in Australia are not free is a bit ungrateful.

Yeah sure there is a 'system' in place that creates some loose boundaries for people to live within. This is our 'environment', and as has always been the case, those able to adapt to it will be the most successful. If you're life is not going the way you like, perhaps its you that needs to change, rather then shaking up the rest of the world to satisfy your need for further liberty.

What are some of these further liberties that you seek?

8. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

Freedom from government violence or the threat of violence would be a good start!

Here is a post from another thread which I find very enlightening, and which opens up one's mind to how things should work

9. bordsilver

For me, two of the key biggies that are being actively attacked are:
    - Freedom to not treat adults as children when it comes to matters such as alcohol, cigarettes, gambling and other forms of pleasure.
    - Freedom to cause "offence" or "insult" someone (ie repeal Section 18C along with the planned Workplace Discrimination laws) - see THIS THREAD

Others off the top of my head include:
    - Freedom to have euthanasia
    - Freedom to have abortions for any reason (preserving the life of the foetus if possible and someone else is willing to pay, of course)
    - Freedom to pay surrogate mothers
    - Freedom to sell your organs
    - Freedom to opt out of the cost of public health and choose your own providers
    - Freedom to opt out of the cost of public education and choose your own providers
    - Freedom to opt out of the cost of the social security system and choose your own providers
    - True freedom of the press
    - Freedom not to have my internet use data retained for 2 years with ASIO having the power to access, upload and download files onto my computer
    - Freedom to buy and sell raw milk
    - Freedom to manufacture products from hemp
    - Freedom to choose which type of light bulbs I can buy
    - Freedom to bear arms
    - Freedom to build a size and style house on the land that you "own"
    - Freedom to conduct an appropriate "business activity" from a "residential" property
    - Freedom to determine how many people can occupy certain premises

Some of the above are in different states of play (ie actual, planned, or restrictions are getting worse not better) and can differ in different jurisdictions. No doubt that I could add a lot more if I thought about it but that's a decent start.

Edit: And then of course is the real BIGGIE which is why many of us are stackers:
    - Freedom to create and use competing currencies within Australia - ie. repeal the legal tender laws and capital gains taxes on money (at the least)

10. renovator

Nope im an aussie but my missus is a local :) Being an aussie & nearly 50 ive seen oz change for the worse as far as freedoms are concerned & over the last couple of years enjoyed the freedoms aussies once had . Being old enough to remember the seventies a lot has changed there & not for the better i might add . .Growing up in the western suburbs of sydney in the 70s was virtually lawless to a point & i feel the same freedoms here hence why i came for a 3 week holiday to visit & have stayed.

Theres lots of foreigners here & all say the same things about the freedom & lack of big brother type intervention

11. renovator

euthanasia ,sell your organs opt out of public health & schooling & social security system ....... :rolleyes: :eek:

12. bordsilver

Yep. Wouldn't it be awesome?

- YOU are given the choice of what you can do with YOUR own body. (Goes hand in hand with freedom to smoke, drink and use drugs or cross the road without your mother holding your hand.)
    - YOU are given the choice of using YOUR income in the ways that best suit YOUR way of life and personal beliefs. If you WANT the government supplied version you can have it. If you don't you can opt out. I am simply asking for the choice like I can choose whether to use Telstra or Optus. We can (sort of) home school now, yet we are forced to pay for the school system. We can (sort of) use private hospitals now, yet we are forced to cross subsidise the public system. We are forced to pay for the social security system now even if we are self sufficient enough throughout our entire lives that we never ever need it.

13. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

Now we're talking the same language. I'm just curious though why you seem to laud all manner of government meddling and restrictions in your other posts?
    It seems at odds with the spirit of this post?

14. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

This is an interesting conversation, that I've mostly missed.

So Reno, forgetting discussions about the why's and wherefore's one country is different from another in freedoms, infrastructure, etc, which would you say you value more? The good infrastructure of Oz with the Big Brother taxes, surveillance, etc or the relative freedom of where you are now?

You said you moved there so I think I might have the answer, but don't want to presume. Genuine question, because I thought what you said was interesting.

15. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Further to what Bordsilver has said

Freedom to not have to pay for the destruction of lives and property in other countries. I know it's all on TV and not actually happening in Australia, but some of us care and don't like being forced to pay for killing.
    Freedom to in financial affairs, rather than being forced into the corrupt crony banking system that currently exists here.
    Freedom to not have to pay ridiculous amounts of tax, a huge percentage of which essentially goes up in smoke in one way or another.
    Freedom to opt out of superannuation.

I could go on and on...

16. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

Top 10 Least Corrupt Countries:

Denmark
    Finland
    New Zealand
    Sweden
    Singapore
    Switzerland
    Australia
    Norway
    Canada
    Netherlands

All of these countries have "big" governments.

17. renovator

Like i said earlier im far from a gubmint lover . It seems to me most posts are for self interest instead of the collective of society which takes in the disadvantaged the poor & disabled ;

Until someone comes in with a down the middle approach we might aswell stick with what weve got . At least most people have a decent quality of life .

Most of the things i hear are concerning the costs of things , wasted expenditure ,free markets etc etc . You can always make more money but once your freedom is gone no amount of money cant buy it back

18. renovator

while im relatively young & healthy here is good but if i had medical problems or wasnt financially independent already i would choose australia in a blink .

To see so many people with university educations trying to get work abroad to give their family a better life is heartbreaking .One of my helpers gives most of his pay to his younger brother to pay for his uni course so he can get the chance to work OS While he gets food on credit at the shop to eat .. That family spirit is one of the attractions here .

I consider myself lucky to have been born into a first world country even with all the shit that comes with it . I had the choice to make it happen some never had & will never have that choice

I felt like that before i came here . something some of you guys dont appreciate

19. renovator

Yep it would be awesome until you died in a car crash & a family member got sick & needed medical attention or an education & they told you to piss off because your not around paying for it anymore . . or your half cured & they kick you out because your contributions ran out . Have some foresight .theres thousands of different scenarios that are catered for in the current system that your system would fail . Unless of course they adopt your organ selling then your daughter could go through life with 1 kidney because she had to pay for mums surgery . ........ Yep totally awesome :rolleyes:

20. renovator

dont let the truth get in the way of a good story lol