trading improvement

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by RomanControl, Apr 9, 2012.

1. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

I had a suggestion and the suggestion section is closed for some reason.

Anyhow I'll have a whine and turn it into a topic

Ive been going through the trading section today and yesterday and the prices are absurd, its actually an insult to our intelligence .
    (besides a few butt ugly ainslee bars noone wants)
    everyone is asking for a price I can get at a dealers , Which I'd sooner do since I have some assurance its genuine and all above board.

So my suggestion is 1 of 2 options

1) charge us $1 to make an ad, so you don't get dreamers wasting 3/4s of your time filtering out the over the top prices for 2nd hand , unguaranteed bullion

or 2) make an option like the thanks button where you can say , yes I looked at your ad and I think your price is absurd

All in favour say aye!

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Changes are coming to the trading section - give it time.

3. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

yes i think both are good options. and maybe a timed listing so the same thing doesn't appear time and time again.

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

It's not too often I disagree with you, but I have to say that Ainslie bars are worth just as much as any other cast bar. And its a brand name which everybody knows and trusts.
    The idea of investing in silver is to to protect wealth - not to look at it every day and koo about how shiny and pretty it looks...

Ainslie bars are 9995+ purity - which is amongst the best you can get. For stackers who are savvie - that's all that should be important.

And by the way - there's no reason why sellers on SS should sell their bullion at prices lower than what dealers sell theirs for!
    In fact - I'd pay MORE for a bar privately than i would a dealer - simply because i have anonymity.

savvie???

5. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

If there are too many bumps or annoying sales threads, then a compromise could just be an 'ignore thread' option, where that thread is no longer visible to the ignorer.

That way if you're after silver you can ignore the gold sales, and vice versa, and ignore sales of other items you're not interested in.

Just an idea anyway.

6. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

theres so may people on here with $$$ signs in their eyes asking way too much for items and bumping the heck out of posts for weeks on end, unwilling to reduce the price. i think a small fee for listing is very reasonable.

7. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

I savvy Yippie kiya. but avoiding tax is one area of finance I think I have some expertise in
    and when you're paying cash-no paperwork its cheaper not dearer.
    Besides whats the privte seller providing that justifies charging you for avoiding the taxman's abuse of your privacy?
    Its more like Ebay ethos here selling to the general public, rather than silver trading between stackers

And your sale thread was the only realistic priced one I saw in 2 days, so I dont know what you're responding for.
    Surely you're not defending the quality control standards of Ainslee

those ainslee bars look like they were cast in the 3rd world by this guy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-WO97CZKns[/youtube]

Let me stress that I'm no TA

8. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]

9. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree that some people must be dreaming when they come up with a dollar figure to place on their silver or gold.

But, I don't agree that anything needs to be done about this. People will get the idea they're just dreaming when they get to their 11th bump with no price reduction or added incentive and still wonder why they are the only one who has posted in their thread and they have no private messages.

10. goldpelican

Moved to correct forum ;)

11. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

It is funny how people complain when silver supplies dry up as spot drops.
    Given the fundamentals of silver being underpriced that we all believe in, you therefore expect sellers, both private and dealers, to make a loss if they need to sell some metal. Unfortunately for me, I am with some of my sales but do not intend to give it away just because of some idea that a private seller should not be able to sell near a dealer's price.

Sale prices are not just based on spot prices. Other factors are considered such as competing prices - both private and dealers, urgency to sell, FeeBay etc.
    If you do not like these prices there is ALWAYS the Perth Mint or dealers who would be more than happy to sell you their items.

If a private seller gets no sales then the offer is withdrawn eventually.
    Easter, and other public holidays are not good times then to offer sales given that a lot of people are away so it would be natural to expect sales to remain longer than normal.

Given some of the below spot including postage offers that i have received i am just as peeved at the sales on SS and seriously would prefer to take the metal to a Sydney dealer and accept their below spot buy price on principal rather than accept soe of the private offers received.

Looking forward to seeing your sales.

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Right, I can't shut up any longer. There's only one way out of this - close the sales sub-forum for the month of May.

13. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

its a free market Roman, let it be. Start your own trading network like most on here have

14. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Not sure I see a problem - if you think the price is too high, just move on.

I've seen some incredible bargains go across the screens over the last couple of weeks. I'd hate to see any changes. Just because you think it is expensive doesn't mean I do (seems like the R/E discussion all over again :) ) Not eveything here is based purely on spot price.

Over the last week I've seen bars below spot, dragons in the mid to high 40s and some international silver at screaming bargain prices. What more do you want - free postage??????

malachii

15. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

haha
    napthalene i dont want to make a point on your sales thread because its unfair.
    But you made a point that bullionbourse is selling at that price so you should too.
    Thats comparing apples and oranges.
    silver rounds are just that, they have no value beyond silver content
    Spot is $31 and you're asking 20% over spot for zero numismatic

Im not talking about you in particular here, its like lottery ticket sales where people seem to be hoping someone overpays. And you have to wade through 90% lottery ticket sales to find the genuine ones.
    Its a real pain in the arse, and who can be bothered messaging offers back and forth ?
    Ripping off fellow stackers seems to me a little incestuous

16. goldpelican

Not with bullion.

Private sales aren't necessarily about avoiding tax (thanks for continually pointing out you like to avoid it, looking forward to the ATO calling me asking for the database of users), as YKK pointed out, some people are very willing to pay a premium for privacy that they can't get with a dealer.

17. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

hiho whats a trading network
    I want to buy and sell silver rounds or zero numismatic coins at something that resembles spot
    is there a network I can join?
    I'm a great guy- put my name forward

18. goldpelican

A trading network is a group of people you build up relationships with and trade regularly in a trustworthy way.

19. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

1: The manufacturing cost for 1 oz "rounds" or bars is quite high - and they carry a premium for that in after sales. Look at what PM charges even wholesale for things like that.

2: I would hate to get to a point where someone else dictates what I can ask for my products.

3: If you think it is too much - move on. Don't message or anything just move on. It takes no time and if the price is too high and/or the person wants to sell they will eventually lower the price to where you can buzz or make an offer.

4: I have a greater problem with the people who fill up the message bank or posts with ridiculous offers of anywhere from spot to 50% below spot for products that are clearly worth more. There seems to be an attitude on SS lately that everyone should be a desperate seller and I'll just make a dumb offer just in case.

malachii

20. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

Im not advocating breaking the law goldpelican
    On the contray in fact
    if the ATO call speak to me first. bullion is risky business for them to stick their beaks in . As theyre breaking the law unless they walk a very thin tightrope of bullshit. Also my privacy is protected by the privacy act so I'm confident it is sacrosanct.

The bullion issue might be regarding some clause the ATO have with respect to investment. I assume thats what you're referring to. And that they make a distinction between gold coin and gold bullion might give you a clue as to the gaping loophole through their thievery to the real law.

For google issues , from now on I shall refer to these thieving folks as the mafia