Trading for beginners p2

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by Silverbullet08, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

Hey guys,

Im looking at opening a trading account and getting into that sort of business. a quick question...

What is the most popular trading account?? ... ive half way opened a E*trader (AUSTRALIA) account but didnt relize it was australian based for the ASX and i still want to be able to buy US shares.
    ive noticed now the other E*trader account that lets u do international trading but i dont want 2 accounts going.... so im sliding towards a COMSEC account cos i heard it does both (and also has a better iphone app)

Also i bank with ANZ hence trying the E*trader first.... but would that make it difficult to use a COMSEC account?

Hoping some veterans can give me some wisdom with this issue.... :|

2. Silverbullet08

Soo any replies... Awesome!!!

3. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

What advice are you looking for?

Both etrade and comsec are fine.
    As you've said, if you are already with ANZ then etrade would be easier to set up.
    In the end they are both just online transaction processors and do the job - doesn't really make a difference which you use.

I'd suggest getting more info about buying US shares.
    Last time I looked, the fees were considerably higher and there were annual holding fees as well, and forms to fill in for the US IRS.... and then I just lost interest...

4. Silverbullet08

thnx trew.,
    mainly the advice i was seeking was does both E*trade and commsec each need 2 accounts to trade on the australian and international markets?
    i was under the impression that 1 commsec account could trade on both levels?
    and yes ive read and am aware of the much larger fees for overseas markets :(